Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > General Discussion

Old 09-03-11, 12:11 PM  
primrosecat

Pilates dummy

Hi~I really want to know. There are so many Pilate workouts out there. They all look the same to me, I guess. What makes one any better than the others? Don't they all basicly do the same thing? How do you sift the really good from the so-so. I just want a few good ones. Thanks!
primrosecat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-11, 12:51 PM  
Mopsy
VF Supporter

The reason I have many Pilates dvd's is because they are so similar. While some instructors include or omit certain exercises, or modify them into their own fusion-type moves, they are basically the same. I just know that if I did the same dvd over and over, I'd really be bored. It's not the most exciting discipline, so even just changing up the instructors adds a little variety. And each instructor may add a different form pointer that someone else neglected, further adding to the instruction.
Old 09-03-11, 03:40 PM  
DejaDeb

Pilates for Dummies is one of the better ones; Michelle Dozois leads you in doing several of the classic Pilates exercises.
Old 09-03-11, 04:33 PM  
PeakFitness

There are some basics that are always the same, like the hundred. But workouts can be different because pilates has a variety of moves to choose from, so hopefully the instructor will include something new and intreesting. There's also just a difference in instructing style that makes one DVD different from another. I like anything from Ana Caban.
Old 09-03-11, 04:52 PM  
KarenJo
VF Supporter

Pilates mat work has a basic set of exercises with beginner modifications and progressions. Most DVDs will include a lot of the same moves since the less usual moves are mostly more advanced. It's difficult to really teach advanced Pilates on a DVD to someone who doesn't already know the basics and the form.

Hilary Burnett is the one I'd recomend for a first Pilates DVD. She has a beginner one that does the modified versions but shows the slightly more advanced form in an inset so even though she gives plenty of good instruction you don't feel like it slows things down too much. But Pilates is about slow and controlled with muscle engagement and a few good reps being better than a bunch of fast, sloppy reps. The beginner workouts from good Pilates instructors will not move fast, so if you can't handle slow you might find Pilates is not your style of workout. If you do it like you're doing jumping jacks or other calesthenics you'll probably wonder what the big deal is.

I also like Stott for beginner DVDs and some of the ones from Gaiam like Ana Caban. Those 3 instructors have different styles and come from different "schools" of Pilates that have evolved since Joe so they'd make a nice starter library with one from each.

Even once you've learned the more advanced versions of moves you can still do the beginner workouts just using the form you know.

I now have a doctor's order to never again do push ups (yippee!)
KarenJo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-11, 05:45 PM  
deltoro

Quote:
Originally Posted by DejaDeb View Post
Pilates for Dummies is one of the better ones; Michelle Dozois leads you in doing several of the classic Pilates exercises.
I agree, this is a great one.
deltoro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-11, 08:14 PM  
primrosecat

Thanks everyone. This is very interesting, and I will look into the instructors/workouts you all have mentioned. I guess it makes sense that Pilates may be Pilates, but each instructor adds her/his own flavor. I can see where that makes a difference. So, I'm off to see what I can find Thanks!!!!!!
primrosecat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-11, 07:46 AM  
Mopsy
VF Supporter

As for suggestions: Pilates for Dummies. That was my first, and I still do it often. Ana Caban's is similar, I just didn't like her counting every single rep. I also have a couple of Stott and Winsor, but you may already need to know the basics for them (although they both should have a beginner workout with instruction).
Old 09-04-11, 08:19 AM  
superfit41
VF Supporter

I prefer Windsor Pilates. I guess because the original set was the first pilates dvd's that I got. I have also had the Pilates for Dummies with Michelle. It is a good one, don't know why I got rid of that one I also like the Crunch pilates workout with Ellen Barrett. I do that one quite often. I think it is mostly an instructor preference. There are a lot of good instructors.

Sherry
superfit41 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-11, 08:55 AM  
summer breeze
VF Supporter

I also enjoy many of the 10 Minute Solution pilates DVDs. Lara Hudson is a good instructor and Suzanne Bowen's Pilates Perfect Body is also good, though perhaps more of a fusion. They both give good form pointers, I feel. My favorite is Tracey Mallett's Pilates Super Sculpt, which uses the squishy ball.
summer breeze is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
pilates, pilates for beginners, pilates for dummies