Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > General Discussion

Old 02-21-11, 04:32 PM  
roz

Quote:
Originally Posted by pumptmuscle View Post
Roz, how do you mean? Is it that you just feel like doing nothing when you have depressive episodes?
Well, yes. I don't take pleasure in any of the activities that normally make me happy. Really, my movements slow down and it is hard enough just forcing myself to do things that I have to do.
roz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-11, 04:59 PM  
pumptmuscle

Quote:
Originally Posted by roz View Post
Well, yes. I don't take pleasure in any of the activities that normally make me happy. Really, my movements slow down and it is hard enough just forcing myself to do things that I have to do.
Ah ok, I completely can relate to that. I'm very lucky in that exercising now is automatic. It's hard to describe but I just know I have to do it. It took me over 15 years to get it so ingrained. I realize that, I may not have control over everything, but I can control my exercise. Getting an adrenaline rush when I work out is a key factor, too.

If this helps you, maybe when you're in the depressive state, try doing something, no matter how insignificant it may feel. That might mean exercising for as little as 3 or 4 minutes. Sometimes if I don't feel like working out, that's what I do. I say to myself "I'll just do 5 (or 10) minutes then stop." When I do that, I almost never only do that amount of time and usually finish a full, or mostly full, workout.

I've also learned that action tends to come before motivation. A lot of people say I'll do X when I get motivated. The problem is that motivation often never comes. If I'm able to start something (exercising, an overdue task, etc), I tend to find that my motivation increases after I start. As I get more into the task, the motivation builds and it becomes a spiral where I feel better and better as time goes on. I know this process isn't easy but I've learned it the hard way over time.

"We all have our own issues" - Lashaun Dale

"Hi, I'm Billy Blanks and welcome to Tae Bo" Billy Blanks - Tae Bo

** 50 time marathoner
** 15 time ultramarathoner (the longest was 40 miles)
** All time high scorer at Blast Billiards
pumptmuscle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-11, 05:26 PM  
roz

Quote:
Originally Posted by pumptmuscle View Post
Ah ok, I completely can relate to that. I'm very lucky in that exercising now is automatic. It's hard to describe but I just know I have to do it. It took me over 15 years to get it so ingrained. I realize that, I may not have control over everything, but I can control my exercise. Getting an adrenaline rush when I work out is a key factor, too.

If this helps you, maybe when you're in the depressive state, try doing something, no matter how insignificant it may feel. That might mean exercising for as little as 3 or 4 minutes. Sometimes if I don't feel like working out, that's what I do. I say to myself "I'll just do 5 (or 10) minutes then stop." When I do that, I almost never only do that amount of time and usually finish a full, or mostly full, workout.

I've also learned that action tends to come before motivation. A lot of people say I'll do X when I get motivated. The problem is that motivation often never comes. If I'm able to start something (exercising, an overdue task, etc), I tend to find that my motivation increases after I start. As I get more into the task, the motivation builds and it becomes a spiral where I feel better and better as time goes on. I know this process isn't easy but I've learned it the hard way over time.
I appreciate that you want to help, but this just would not work for me. I've been exercising regularly for 15+ years. There is no adrenaline rush for me when I am depressed.
roz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-11, 05:39 PM  
dmlarue1

I had my first major depressive episode at 21 and yoga really helps me. For me I become depressed because I push alot of my feelings down, so the yoga really helped me deal with feelings instead of pushing them down. I tried medication which helped somewhat and then went off it after a while, while maintaining my mood. Then 2 years ago my dad died. I had such a hard time with it and really denied how bad I was feeling about it. I went on lexapro which helped and so did regular cardio exercise (walking my dog everyday). Now I am coming off the lexapro (i should be off by the end of the week) and I find that my mood is still maintaining. I have been doing classical stretch and walk it out and it really helps maintain my mood. For me when I am in a major episode i can't even get myself out of bed much less working out. But once I can get on a regular schedule the exercise really does help. But I definitely don't get an adrenaline rush
dmlarue1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-11, 05:44 PM  
Mary09(b)

I don't get an adrenaline rush or an endorphin rush, but maybe a teeny trickle or drip. But every little bit helps. Sometimes adding one more 'duty' or 'should' to your day is more depressing than the trickle it results in, though.
Mary09(b) is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-11, 08:27 PM  
ncl

I had moderate depression for most of my life. I was in therapy for 5 years (after working for 5 years to find the right therapist!). That helped tremendously. What I'm left with is some mild seasonal depression that is treatable with low dose meds in the winter and no depression at other times. I do tend to have some anxiety as well. Exercise helps me tremendously. I am regular with it even if I am not eating well. It gives me energy and definitely helps with my mood. The low level depression runs in my family....my Mom and possibly my Dad (though he would never admit it). I also find getting outside more in the spring, summer and fall for hikes and bike rides is very helpful as well (too dark too early to do as much in the winter). Meditation helps as well and over the years, LOTS of bibliotherapy (books about self esteem, depression, mindfulness, etc etc).
ncl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-11, 08:34 PM  
YetAnotherDeb

A similar thread last year turned ugly, so I'm going to make this comment and then bow out of the discussion, but I'll follow it unless it gets nasty.

I've suffered off-and-on during most of my adult life. During a major depressive episode when my day usually consisted of sitting on the couch and staring off into space for hours and hours and absolutely nothing made me laugh, I started exercising. It's been many years and I no longer remember why or how I maintained the momentum day after day, but I did and it helped more than anything else I've ever done, including therapy and drugs. I didn't and don't get any particular adrenaline rush, but something about that daily exercise routine resulted in some small glimmer of hope that maybe all was not lost and things really could get better, contrary to what I'd been feeling.

YMMV.
_____
YADeb
YetAnotherDeb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-11, 08:37 PM  
mandie123

I've suffered from mod to major depression since I was a child,been in therapy off and on for 30 years for it.Started exercising around the age of 14 daily, and any time I can't get any in the depression gets worse.Never found any meds that really made that much of a difference,any type of exercise helps me.
mandie123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-11, 02:31 AM  
Liz N
VF Supporter

Yes!

I've had a couple of major depressive episodes and it runs in my family.

Luckily exercise and combining meds/therapy have been extremely helpful.

Exercise, especially outdoors, is like taking a little pill of happiness every day.

"I believe your most attractive features are your heart and soul" Savage Garden

Looking for some fitness inspiration? Visit my blog - see profile
Liz N is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-11, 02:42 AM  
Liz N
VF Supporter

Yes!

I've had a couple of major depressive episodes and it runs in my family.

Luckily exercise and combining meds/therapy have been extremely helpful.

Exercise, especially outdoors, is like taking a little pill of happiness every day.

"I believe your most attractive features are your heart and soul" Savage Garden

Looking for some fitness inspiration? Visit my blog - see profile
Liz N is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
depression