Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > General Discussion
Register Support VF Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 02-01-11, 02:55 PM  
Dorothy J
VF Supporter

Hi Michele, you've gotten some really great suggestions here & I don't really have anything to add (dance & sunshine would be my suggestions). I just wanted to send {{Hugs}} & say that I hope things turn around for you very soon!

"You want to go into life feeling great, feeling strong, and as you get older, feeling even stronger!" Gin Miller
Dorothy J is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-11, 02:59 PM  
Fitstick

Quote:
Originally Posted by goldillocks View Post
I find that a great cure for depression is dancing. Zumba and any other dance workout quickly puts a smile on my face no matter how cheezy the workout may be
I agree that dance workouts are very uplifting. I would recommend Shaun T's Rockin Body or Carlos Arias' Latin Xplosion - lots of fun! Picking an instructor who doesn't take themselves too seriously helps. Others already mentioned Christi Taylor, her workouts always make me smile. I did Step Heaven the other day and that one really lifted my spirits.

On a separate note, I hope that you feel better soon.
Fitstick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-11, 03:07 PM  
Bebop

When I'm down I find Ravi and Anna Yoga Bliss hips helps.

It's Kundalini yoga and I don't know why, but this particular one always lifts my spirits. I bet there is a review of it in reviews.

Also, Cardio Coach cardio workouts lift my spirits because I always have an endorphin high after I'm finished.

Hope you feel better.
Bebop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-11, 03:15 PM  
PeakFitness

Quote:
Originally Posted by goldillocks View Post
I find that a great cure for depression is dancing. Zumba and any other dance workout quickly puts a smile on my face no matter how cheezy the workout may be
I also agree. I do dance workouts when I'm feeling down.
Old 02-01-11, 03:58 PM  
suzy
VF Supporter

I'm sorry you're feeling like this, Michele. When I read your post I can sense how hard you're trying to make yourself exercise. What do you enjoy doing?

For me Ellen Barrett's Studio workouts are great feel-good stress relievers. And dance is good for just making me smile. Like some others have suggested, Christi's Fit to Dance is a good mood booster. I also love Petra Kolber's 3-2-1 Dance. The moves are fun and her personality is just plain enjoyable.

I hope you find something you love doing.
suzy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-11, 08:59 PM  
Kimberly33

I really find walking outside helps when I'm struggling. (Of course, I say this from a place that's supposed to get 12-18" of snow tomorrow--but I do have snowshoes! ). Something about being outside walking as fast as I can helps me. Sometimes I think it's just about getting some sun (Seasonal affective issues).

For inside workouts--I like dance workouts. Kathy Smith's Latin Rhythms workout, the Wave or NIA. They aren't always intense enough when I'm in a workout mode, but they are fun and help to pick up my mood. I consider my mental health as important as my cardio health!

I really hope you find something that helps.

Set the gearshift for the high gear of your soul
You've got to run like an antelope, out of control. (Phish)

Can't control the kittens!
Too many whiskers. Too many whiskers
(Sleep Talkin' Man)
Kimberly33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-11, 09:51 PM  
LAC

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michele S View Post
I do have some constraints: I have lymphatic drainage issues on my left side so I can't lift weights to fatigue. I also can't do anything that uses my pecs... including yoga poses like down-dog. I have a step, fanny lifter, stability ball, hand weights, tubing, and bands...

At this point, my main goal of exercise is to reduce stress and get some moderate aerobic benefits...

Ideas?

thanks!! xxoo
Sorry you are dealing with lymphedema How about playing some fun music and bouncing on your stability ball while you move your arms around to try to get the lymphatic fluid moving a bit. Bouncing on the ball always makes me feel goofy and happy.
LAC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-11, 10:12 PM  
Mary09(b)

Wii Walk it Out on the rebounder is light and cheery. Rebounding supposedly has lymphatic benefits.

I think yoga back bends like camel are supposed to help depression, maybe?

Dance the Chakras is kind of a nice, happy DVD.

Getting outdoors is good for depression, too. In sunlight. If you can, near water or trees or something nature-y.

Good luck!
Mary09(b) is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-11, 06:23 AM  
beatchica

Hugs Michele!

I second yoga and walks. There is some good evidence that points to the breathing in yoga as really helping calm the mind. Also sunny walks in a park. The sun is awesome for raising one's spirits.

If none of the above are doing it I would say as a personal trainer I have found that some people who are depressed respond really well to kick boxing or some other type of "aggressive" martial arts exercise. I think this could be because depression is often repressed anger. Or simply kicking and punching could just tend to cheer folks up.

Feel better!
beatchica is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-11, 06:34 AM  
ldy_solana

i live with depression and anxiety as well. i go with what makes me feel good. if it is cardio day then dance and kickboxing makes me feel better. other days yoga helps, its hard in the beginning b/c my mind will wander but once i keep going and eventually focus on my workout and i feel much better. hang in here, a step at a time. a nice walk outside if its comfortable weather too, get that fresh air and sunshine sometimes helps.

DISCLOSURE: I have a professional relationship with a seller or producer of fitness videos or products. For details, please see my profile.
ldy_solana is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
amy weintraub, depression, feel good workouts