Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > General Discussion

Old 10-23-10, 08:02 AM  
Lucky Star
VF Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gardengirl View Post
Yeah, probably why I can never stick with most bandwagons! If I don't enjoy it, I cannot make myself stick to it regardless of how many success stories I hear! Lol! And I'm convinced that at my stage of life pushing myself too hard with either cardio or weights simply over stresses the ole' bod does nothing for me but make me hungry and heavier!
YES on all counts; amen!
Lucky Star is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-10, 06:48 PM  
blessed_mom_to_3

Gardengirl, I agree with you! I'm finding that since I've laid off the cardio a bit (last week or so), I'm not nearly as hungry, even though I'm doing barre, pilates and lifting weights on alternate days. My sugar cravings aren't nearly as bad, either. Coincidence? Maybe...we'll see if it stays this way.
blessed_mom_to_3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-10, 10:52 PM  
prisma

Right now I'm out of work so I (unfortunately) have time to do cardio and strength training with no problem. But when (hopefully) my schedule tightens up again, I would probably drop down on the cardio in favor of barre/Ballet Body if I only had time for one. For the majority of my exercising career I've done cardio exclusively, but I think my best results have come from the barre-ish strength training I do now.

I will say that when it comes to dealing with stress, for me there is no substitute for cardio. It's so cathartic.
prisma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-10, 12:22 PM  
ladyveg

I'm doing Powerfit Harmony and I just dread the cardio days, even though they are probably beginner level and very easy for most people. I'm loving flexibility, core, and strength training, so I think I'm going to concentrate on those things once I'm done with this rotation.
ladyveg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-10, 01:55 PM  
Jane P.
VF Supporter

I did a rotation with very little cardio and lots of weight lifting, both medium and high rep. I found that my cardiovascular fitness didn't suffer that much. However, I do think that over the long term, cardio is necessary.

However, if you hate cardio and can't stand to do it, keep doing what you love. Something is always better than nothing.
Old 10-24-10, 01:57 PM  
alisoncooks

I've found that the only video cardio that I consistently do and enjoy are walking videos. Everything else just gets so tedious and monotonous (ironic, isn't it, LOL).

I've given up on running b/c --even though I enjoyed it-- I felt too beat up and exhausted all the time.

Step aggravated my varicose veins (my one main body "trauma" from 2 pregnancies).

I have 2 left feet, so dance cardio is out.

I dislike high impact, so hi-lo and HIIT are out.

That leaves walking. Boy, am I lucky I like it!
alisoncooks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-10, 03:50 PM  
Lucky Star
VF Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by alisoncooks View Post
Step aggravated my varicose veins (my one main body "trauma" from 2 pregnancies).
Really? I wonder if that's a common tendency. I rarely step but definitely don't want to further aggravate them.

I like my walking videos, plus kickboxing, some dance (mostly Zumba live classes and Wii games, plus Petra ), and quasi-cardio like Ellen. I've pulled out my rebounder again because I enjoy it, too. That's pretty much it, I think. Oh and a little high-impact now and then.
Lucky Star is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-10, 04:29 PM  
alisoncooks

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lucky Star View Post
Really? I wonder if that's a common tendency. I rarely step but definitely don't want to further aggravate them.
I don't know if it's the case for everyone. I had terrible varicose veins during my 2nd pregnancy and after I had my daughter....voila! pain gone (they still looked just awful...but I didn't feel them).

Fast forward 2 years later, after enjoying a step video I go and buy a club step and SEVERAL videos. I do about 4-5 videos (over a 1.5 week's span) and I had a return of vein pain (throbbing/aching). Then it flared up immediately whenever I tried to step.

Maybe they weren't related, who knows. But it was enough for me to immediately sale all my step videos and my club step on craigslist! I'm not taking my chances!

Sorry to go so OT
alisoncooks is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
body for life, body rx, cardio, jim karas, no cardio, weights only