Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > General Discussion
Register Support VF Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-18-10, 10:39 AM  
dela

Quote:
Originally Posted by mj476 View Post
How does your body know if your HR is raised during cardio or strength training? My HR can sometimes get pretty high even during strength training and sometimes can be higher than when I'm doing a cardio workout so how is cardio better?

Marcy
Maybe the doctor was referring to keeping your hear rate elevated over a longer period of time, during weights and even weights with circuits, your heart rate will drop and rise often, versus keeping your heart rate in a certain zone for an extended period of time. I really don't know for sure, just a thought.
dela is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-10, 10:50 AM  
kat999

Quote:
Originally Posted by blessed_mom_to_3 View Post
I agree with the poster who said she'd only do cardio if it was easy and felt good/was fun, like Debbie Rocker, Leslie, Ellen. Those are my favorites too. I do enjoy Billy Blanks' workouts too but my arms/shoulders get DOMS from them so I think I'm getting strength benefits there, so I mentally classify kickboxing as kind of AWT.
That was me. I'm in active trying-to-lose-weight mode, so I'm doing a lot of this stuff, and while I love Leslie, Debbie, and Ellen (and even Jillian some days when I'm feeling a little aggressive *heh*), I ALWAYS look forward to days when it's time to do AWT or flexibility-based workouts. Maybe it's also a mental challenge. A complex four-limbed sequence in a FIRM challenges me aerobically, strength-wise, and mentally, because you're usually having to remember arm/leg order and sequence. Whereas I can pop Leslie in and let my brain go elsewhere while my body goes on autopilot. Not exactly mindful work, even if it's easy and effective.
Old 10-18-10, 10:51 AM  
dela

This is a very interesting thread, I do cardio from dvds only, I am currently doing a lot of circuit type workouts some with weights and some without, and I think I am doing more cardio than strength, but still do at least 30 minute KCM weight workouts a week too. I have liked the results I am seeing, but I have always said that if I have a week that I just can't work out as many times, that I will always favor weights over cardio. I usually workout 5 or 6 days per week, but if I have to cut that to 3 or 4, I will do 3 weight and circuit weight workouts, and the fourth can be cardio or another circuit style workout.

This past year, I did a 3.5 rotation of STS, but was not keeping up with the cardio days very well, and I showed almost zero visible results. I don't think my eating was terribly good either, so the combo of reduced cardio and not great eating was a double whammy. However, I did not gain weight during that time either.
dela is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-10, 11:33 AM  
sweatmonger

I don't think I could ever give up cardio FOREVER, but I have done a just Ellen and yoga rotation and got really, really good results.

I love cardio, but when I up the cardio intensity (which for me is high impact, not HIIT or Insanity) my knees get sore, and I find that my body holds onto the weight instead of letting it go. Right now I'm doing a rotation that includes lower intensity cardio at a steady state; Leslie, older Jane Fonda, and Kathy Smith etc. I'm hoping that I'm able to fulfill my cardio love, and requirement for heart health, without stressing out my body and joints.
sweatmonger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-10, 02:15 PM  
Kyra

I was thinking about this thread this morning when I was at the gym, and recalled that I did a program several years ago called BodyRx. IIRC, the author, while not being specifically against cardio, implied that you got sufficient cardio effects from a good weight workout that you didn't "need" to do a separate cardio workout. The program was four or five months long, and I did complete it, and presume I stuck to the plan and didn't do any cardio during that time. I think I lost a few pounds, although weight loss wasn't my goal, and definitely got stronger.

Personally I love cardio, especially running, so I'm not really inclined to do anything like that ever again, but in Connelly, you have another advocate for saying no to cardio.

Certified Bulletproof Athlete
Kyra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-10, 11:18 PM  
blessed_mom_to_3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kyra View Post
I was thinking about this thread this morning when I was at the gym, and recalled that I did a program several years ago called BodyRx. IIRC, the author, while not being specifically against cardio, implied that you got sufficient cardio effects from a good weight workout that you didn't "need" to do a separate cardio workout. The program was four or five months long, and I did complete it, and presume I stuck to the plan and didn't do any cardio during that time. I think I lost a few pounds, although weight loss wasn't my goal, and definitely got stronger.

Personally I love cardio, especially running, so I'm not really inclined to do anything like that ever again, but in Connelly, you have another advocate for saying no to cardio.

Kyra, thank you for the link...this book looks very interesting as well. I think I remember hearing about it a few years back, maybe in my Body-for-LIFE days long ago.
blessed_mom_to_3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-10, 07:32 AM  
Moi

Quote:
Originally Posted by sunday View Post
I don't do any cardio other than what is in the above workouts naturally.
What she said! I lost about 30 pounds with Yoga & Pilates.

Moi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-10, 07:08 PM  
blessed_mom_to_3

I love reading everyone's thoughts on this topic. Anyone else want to weigh in?
blessed_mom_to_3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-10, 08:12 PM  
DebnPhx
VF Supporter

I used to bike a lot and never dropped an ounce. I think it was because I always thought I could/should eat more after exercising so much. I loved riding for the fun of it and scenery, but don't think it did much for my health, weight, etc.

In the last year I have done hardly any cardio (knee problems, etc.) Now I do Pilates and the Total Gym. And my weight is lower than ever, my resting heart rate is low as it ever was, blood work all good, etc.
DebnPhx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-10, 07:48 AM  
Gardengirl

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lucky Star View Post
Exactly -- you are doing the right thing now! I truly think that exercise should feel natural and something we love doing, and if we also find it effective then that's perfection. Most of us are not going to be (or even want to be) athletes but we all want to be fit and healthy. Congratulations on finding what works for you and makes you happy and healthy already!
Yeah, probably why I can never stick with most bandwagons! If I don't enjoy it, I cannot make myself stick to it regardless of how many success stories I hear! Lol! And I'm convinced that at my stage of life pushing myself too hard with either cardio or weights simply over stresses the ole' bod does nothing for me but make me hungry and heavier!

Tags
body for life, body rx, cardio, jim karas, no cardio, weights only