Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > General Discussion

Old 10-18-10, 12:41 AM  
ilovemybirds

I'm right there with you, and I'm about your age (I'm 35). I'm noticing more and more that every time I do cardio, I get pain in my knees, ankles, and sometimes feet. It's just not worth it to me anymore. I have been doing outdoor walking or mall walking several times a week, and I will occasionally do chi ball workouts (from the Caribbean workout series) because I enjoy them, but that's about it, as far as cardio goes.
ilovemybirds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-10, 04:33 AM  
goldillocks

Quote:
Originally Posted by Janga View Post
I like traditional cardio (& weights) but I think people get hung up on semantics. You don't have to be standing & jumping around to get cardiovascular exercise for health. Lifting weights (especially light and fast) as well as kettlebell work, etc, are excellent, as are spinning classes, sometimes pilates & yoga, etc., all exercise can be cardio, just depends on what raises your HR. So when people say they exercise but don't do cardio, I sometimes wonder what they mean.
I totally agree. Most of us do cardio everyday without realising it ! Cardio is everything that raises our heartrate and makes us sweat. It can be walking uphill or at a fast pace, shopping and liftying heavy bags, cleaning the house, gardening and having sex
goldillocks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-10, 06:45 AM  
alisoncooks

Oh man, threads like this kill me.
I *just* started a lots of cardio rotation (well, lots for me...mostly walking videos)....and now I'm all like "woo-hoo, I'm gonna chunk cardio!" LOL...

Maybe that'll be my next rotation, the no-cardio rotation...
alisoncooks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-10, 07:37 AM  
suegy3

I was never much of a cardio person; however, my heart rate goes fairly high with weight training Firm type stuff, Tracie Long, Anna Benson's stuff. I was in the best shape with the original Firms.
suegy3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-10, 07:46 AM  
trishthedish

I don't do much cardio either. I mainly do all barre work and since that raises my heart rate up too, I figure that's probably good enough for now. My weight doesnt go up and I feel great, so thats all that matters! I do cardio 2-3 times a week b/c I feel like I *have* to. Tho, truth be told, I'd love to scrap it!
Old 10-18-10, 08:07 AM  
ebianco
VF Supporter

I get my cardio in with AWT type workouts a la The Firm, Barry's Bootcamp, etc. or with circuit workouts, mostly Jillian nowadays. I also jog at least once a week, and have been enjoying freestyle bouncing on my rebounder.

But mostly I am confident that the strength training is what gets the weight off the best for me. The Firm has worked wonders as has Pilates and I think Kettlebells will be very helpful as well. I could easily see how a "cardio free" rotation would be effective for weight loss.
Old 10-18-10, 08:57 AM  
blessed_mom_to_3

Quote:
Originally Posted by alisoncooks View Post
Oh man, threads like this kill me.
I *just* started a lots of cardio rotation (well, lots for me...mostly walking videos)....and now I'm all like "woo-hoo, I'm gonna chunk cardio!" LOL...

Maybe that'll be my next rotation, the no-cardio rotation...
I always tend to start "stir things up" threads, don't I?! The variety (all cardio vs. no cardio) might be good, plus you can compare results from both rotatons and post back here.

I agree with the poster who said she'd only do cardio if it was easy and felt good/was fun, like Debbie Rocker, Leslie, Ellen. Those are my favorites too. I do enjoy Billy Blanks' workouts too but my arms/shoulders get DOMS from them so I think I'm getting strength benefits there, so I mentally classify kickboxing as kind of AWT.
blessed_mom_to_3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-10, 10:27 AM  
Gams

I will always do cardio for my heart. All the cardiologists I've been to have told me that raising your heartrate during weightlifting is not the same as doing regular cardio, so I'll never give it up, plus I enjoy my ramping classes and my outdoor walks, etc.
Gams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-10, 10:32 AM  
mj476

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gams View Post
I will always do cardio for my heart. All the cardiologists I've been to have told me that raising your heartrate during weightlifting is not the same as doing regular cardio, so I'll never give it up, plus I enjoy my ramping classes and my outdoor walks, etc.
How does your body know if your HR is raised during cardio or strength training? My HR can sometimes get pretty high even during strength training and sometimes can be higher than when I'm doing a cardio workout so how is cardio better?

I personally don't do that much cardio and the stuff I do is low to medium impact. When I do high impact, I just wind up losing muscle and gives me a ravenous appetite. I find my body fat stays down when just doing things like walking and dancing rather than when I was doing things like IMAX 3.

Marcy
Old 10-18-10, 10:38 AM  
Gams

I'm not sure - I'd have to ask my cardiologist about it again. Unless it has something to do with building stamina that you would get with sustained cardio and not with lifting weights where your heartrate would vary more.
Gams is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
body for life, body rx, cardio, jim karas, no cardio, weights only