Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > General Discussion

Old 10-16-10, 03:48 PM  
blessed_mom_to_3

Anybody NOT do cardio?

I'm curious if anyone here is achieving/maintaining fitness goals without the inclusion of cardio workouts in their regimen. I got to thinking about this because my ankle/achilles tendon has been sore lately, and cardio, even low-impact, aggravates it, so I'm backing off cardio for now and doing more pilates and strength workouts.

I remember reading a while back about some book (I think I saw it on Amazon) about some anti-cardio revolution, like "they" have discovered it actually works against you or something. Not saying I agree with that, but wondering if anyone here just does strength/barre/pilates/Ellen B. type workouts, without including cardio.

Thanks in advance!
blessed_mom_to_3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-10, 05:03 PM  
cherimac

Hey there girl!

You may be thinking of the Cardio-Free Diet by Jim Karas. I had a friend who does that~or did, I'm not sure if she's still doing that~and had really good results. I remember Stephanie Huckabee saying she doesn't do tons of cardio either but that she's active throughout her day and is pretty disciplined about her diet.
Old 10-16-10, 05:31 PM  
seww

Can you ride a bike or swim without causing yourself pain?
I'm just trying to think of non-impact cardio for you!
Sue
seww is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-10, 05:46 PM  
videofit

I seldom do it. I want to incorporate more into my routine just for heart and lung health, not appearance.
Old 10-16-10, 05:59 PM  
Paine
VF Supporter

For now I do not do cardio but many of the exercises I do such as lifting weights and bodyweight exercises cause my heart rate to go up as if I was doing cardio.
Paine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-10, 06:49 PM  
blessed_mom_to_3

Quote:
Originally Posted by cherimac View Post
Hey there girl!

You may be thinking of the Cardio-Free Diet by Jim Karas. I had a friend who does that~or did, I'm not sure if she's still doing that~and had really good results. I remember Stephanie Huckabee saying she doesn't do tons of cardio either but that she's active throughout her day and is pretty disciplined about her diet.
That may be the book, I'll have to check Amazon again, cause now I'm curious.

Come to think of it, I've lost significant weight before just by doing the Firm, which is obviously a mix of cardio and weight training - so maybe steady state "strictly cardio" workouts aren't necessary. Maybe just having your heart rate up during the fast-paced weight training is enough.
Old 10-16-10, 06:50 PM  
blessed_mom_to_3

Quote:
Originally Posted by seww View Post
Can you ride a bike or swim without causing yourself pain?
I'm just trying to think of non-impact cardio for you!
Sue
If I had access to a pool, I'd love to swim! Unfortunately, I don't right now.
Thank you for the suggestions, though!
Old 10-16-10, 07:06 PM  
Jean@125

From a weight loss perspective I lose more fat doing weights and interval cardio just a couple of times a week. I got nowhere doing long sessions of cardio almost daily.
Jean@125 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-10, 02:41 AM  
Tan

I was in great shape doing ashtanga yoga and barre, both raised my heart rate enough. Now post baby I want to lose some weight so I'm adding in kettlebells and walking for cardio but I may go back to just yoga and barre in the future. Of course, d**t is key.
Tan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-10, 05:19 AM  
sunday

I don't do cardio!

I've lost 35 pounds without any. I did experiment, however, this summer for four weeks straight with 30 minutes of cardio 6x a week and TA's Mat 6x a week. Other than being exhausted, I had little to no results.

When I went back to Ellen, Ruah, barre, fusion, Grace, the weight fell off again. I don't do any cardio other than what is in the above workouts naturally. However, I have good cardio conditioning, can live my life effectively, can walk everywhere and never get out of breath. My heart is very healthy, according to my doctor, and my blood pressure is nice and low.

HTH!
sunday is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
body for life, body rx, cardio, jim karas, no cardio, weights only