Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > General Discussion

Old 09-02-10, 07:19 PM  
bigpeeky

no cardio with barre

Has anyone done barre 5 days per week with no cardio? I think i have seen on websites/dvds that this is how barre is to be done - but maybe i was dreaming any experience with no cardio? i've hurt my knee and need to take a break, but seem too have no problems with my barre dvds.
bigpeeky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-10, 07:25 PM  
SusanH

Hi! I'm wondering the same thing about my Fluidity. From what I understand, you don't HAVE to add cardio for results. If you are like me and work up a sweat and find your workout intensity to be enough to be breathing harder, then you may not need any cardio. In one of my online research sessions concerning the Lotte Berk Method and the Bar Method, Burr Leonard, creator of the Bar Method said (in her own words, in her own blog) that anyone wanting to drop pounds would be better off to do BM 4 times a week without running, not BM once a week with added running. Sooooo, I'm taking that advice to heart.
SusanH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-10, 07:27 PM  
alisoncooks

I had that same question a while back. Here's a similar thread. I don't think it was ever decided "yay" or "nay"
http://forum.videofitness.com/showthread.php?t=139800
alisoncooks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-10, 08:36 PM  
neatski

I agree that some cardio is important for heart health.

But I think a lot of people really overdo the cardio when they're trying to lose weight. The extra 100 calories you burn during a cardio workout aren't going to revamp your body, but strength training will.

I'll bet as long as you maintained minimal cardio workouts per week and switched everything else out to strength training/barre, you'd lean out. Weight loss is all about calories in vs. calories out, of course.

Just my opinion!

The most effective workout is the one you're not doing right now!

neatski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-10, 11:31 PM  
ilovemybirds

I'm thinking about cutting back on my cardio, too. I'm finding lately that my normal Leslie workouts seem to be aggravating my right ankle and sometimes my knee, so I want to take a break from them for awhile. I think my plan is to ride my recumbent bike twice a week (either Cardio Coach or watching TV) and do pilates, strength training, and stretching the rest of the time.
ilovemybirds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-10, 09:17 AM  
nadir

I have. I worked out 5-6 days a week doing exclusively barre for 4 months. At that point I started to add some cardio, ballet inspired workouts and dance live classes. I didn't have any weight to loose, I needed to put on some muscle and firm up, and it worked.
nadir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-10, 12:06 PM  
bigpeeky

thanks! i think i will do an experiment -no cardio just barre and see where it takes me. When the knee heals I'll add some cardio in.
bigpeeky is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
barre, barre rotation, no cardio