Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > General Discussion
Register Support VF Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-08-10, 10:11 AM  
sbh

Most of the time, I do my workouts barefooted. But I always wear my high top aerobic shoes when I do any cardio because I severely sprained my left ankle twice in the past and it is still weak.
sbh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-10, 10:12 AM  
Sue B
VF Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Loretta S. View Post
I run and do step in Vibram Five Fingers, which are the "barefoot" funning shoes. You can stub the heck out of your toes in them.
Wow, thanks for this info. I love exercising barefoot or in stocking feet (best for both kettlebells and DDR) and was considering VFFs after reading all the rave reviews, but I've also broken the same toe 3 times and wanted something that would protect my toes while still feeling "barefoot". If only they made Vibrams with steel toes! Toes are the weakest link, IMO. Let's hope a future generation won't have to deal with them.

Drop Two Sizes, Fit Body Blueprint, STRONG Eat. Lift. Thrive. and Revamp grad

DISCLOSURE: I have a professional relationship with a seller or producer of fitness videos or products. For details, please see my profile.
Sue B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-10, 11:04 AM  
Mary09(b)

When I used to do step it was always barefoot. I do everything barefoot except outdoor stuff and treadmill (more than a few minutes, anyway). I hate closed shoes, despite buying really good ones.

Sue- Nike Free shoes are supposed to be similar to VFFs but without the toe separations. I think the toe seams would bug me, and I wonder the reasoning behind it, besides just being 'out there'. It's not like our toes are in separate compartments when we're barefoot.
Mary09(b) is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-10, 11:26 AM  
laurajhawk

Mary, I was just talking with a friend who has VFFs and she says she doesn't even feel the toe separations.

I get shinsplints if I do too much impact (like step) barefoot. But everyone is different. What I'd say is try it!! If it hurts, don't do it. So I guess don't start with your longest toughest workout, do something moderate and then see how it feels during, after, and the next day.

"Don't say 'I can't' ... say 'I presently suck at this thing.'" - Matt Meese, BYU Divine Comedy
laurajhawk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-10, 12:06 PM  
Mrs T

I do all my cardio barefoot, even HIIT. Always have. Anytime I wear shoes they feel so cumbersome & bulky.
Mrs T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-10, 01:54 PM  
HelloKitty88

Smile

I can't believe what I"m reading in this thread. LOL! Yikes.

I would never dream {and haven't till I saw this topic} or think of doing step, running or any kind of cardio barefoot. I hope that you guys are at least on a wood floor and not concrete if you do this to at the very least protect your knees.
HelloKitty88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-10, 02:56 PM  
imhere2dance

I actually just finished using my Walkblaster, which is the closest I come to step workouts. I do all of my exercising barefoot.
imhere2dance is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-10, 04:50 PM  
roleez
VF Supporter

I always exercise barefoot too, as long as I'm indoors and not at the gym. The only bad thing about the step is that I do sometimes get a little sore on the bottoms of my feet from the ribbed rubber mat on the step but other than that, no problems!
Old 08-08-10, 06:53 PM  
buffmama

One less piece of exercise equipment to buy - woo hoo! (After I try this out first ).
buffmama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-10, 11:34 PM  
bethers

Barefoot stepper here too!

I gave up shoes because my feet got so dang hot in them and they felt like casts. I also notice that with barefootin' I'm lighter on my feet and don't slam them as hard. I guess because they're not all covered up and proprioception is better.

The ribbing on the step did take some getting used to. I also lift weights barefoot. The only thing I don't like doing barefoot are lunges. The extension on the back foot can sometimes be too much of a stretch so I'll where shoes if I do a lot of them.
bethers is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
bare feet, barefeet, barefoot, proprioception, step aerobics