Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > General Discussion

Old 08-08-10, 07:16 AM  
Sara1000

Anyone do step barefooted?

I was just watching a CNN interview with the guy who wrote Born to Run, I think his name is McDougall - he advocates running barefoot as long as you put your forefoot down first and knee your joints soft.

Seems like the same principle would work for step. I'm thinking I'll try it this morning - My floor is very good puzzle mats; the guy runs on the ground, which I would think is harder than puzzle mats.
Sara1000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-10, 07:19 AM  
dixie

I do step barefoot, have been for 20 years, no problems at all. I do have a very soft surface on my floor, thick carpet. I'm not sure if that helps my feet or not.
dixie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-10, 07:21 AM  
Sara1000

Wow, thanks for the quick reply! I'm going to try it this morning!
Old 08-08-10, 08:59 AM  
Amazon

I believe there's something good in barefootin'

Over the years I've been developing Plantar fasciitis; it would get worse when I increased my cardio, either by walking, running or step. Last year it was really bad--waking up was always so painful!

Then I read some research on barefoot running and started doing all my workouts barefoot in January.

So far, so good. I've really upped my cardio capacity and I've done it barefoot on the step and in hi-lo aerobics, and I've had no episodes of PF. None, and I do ALL of Cathe's and P90X's cardio barefoot, even HIIT.

I want to add that I do have a good floor. It's concrete slab covered with a laminate floor and a good mat layer.
Amazon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-10, 09:00 AM  
Lucky Star
VF Supporter

What would the advantage(s) to doing step barefooted be? Or is it just laziness, lol.
ETA - I posted the same time as Amazon.

I'm a big believer in exercising barefoot, btw, just never tried step barefoot and wondered if that kind of repetitive movement would be healthy.
Lucky Star is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-10, 09:29 AM  
Sara1000

I did Kathy Smith Step barefoot this morning and really enjoyed it. It feels good to go barefoot anyway, and according to Ellen Barrett it exercises the feet and allows you to point and flex better than if you are wearing shoes.

I haven't tried it with a workout that has much jumping yet, but that Barefoot Running guy says it's fine to jump barefoot as long as you land on your forefoot and keep your knee and ankle joints soft, which comes naturally if you land on your forefoot.
Old 08-08-10, 09:35 AM  
bearcatfan

I'd be worried about stubbing my toe!

But this is an interesting thread ....
Old 08-08-10, 09:46 AM  
Lucky Star
VF Supporter

Hmm, just tried a little. I don't like the feel of the ribbed step mat on my feet and for me I don't think the up-and-down stepping feels the same as, say, doing an Ellen Barrett where you move more deliberately (for lack of a better word). I'm not graceful when doing step, lol. Plus I tend to stub my toes ALL the time so I wouldn't chance it.

However, my workout shoes of choice are these really light, really thin inexpensive shoes I get from Payless which offer protection but feel almost barefoot. I wear them for Zumba too and love them! (And they also come in wide widths which I need!) http://www.payless.com/store/product...ayName=Womens+
Old 08-08-10, 09:49 AM  
Loretta S.
VF Supporter

I run and do step in Vibram Five Fingers, which are the "barefoot" funning shoes. You can stub the heck out of your toes in them. But other than that it's much better on my feet.

The advantage to barefoot (or Five fingers) is that it causes you to use the intrinsic muscles in your feet more.
Old 08-08-10, 09:52 AM  
Lucky Star
VF Supporter

I don't have them but would think the Vibrams would be great. My Zumba teacher sometimes wears them too.

Tags
bare feet, barefeet, barefoot, proprioception, step aerobics