Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > General Discussion

Old 07-26-10, 06:37 PM  
KathAL79

10 Minute Solution Rapid Results Fat Burner w/ Cat Chiarelli

Have you been wishing 10 Minute Solution (10MS) would make a DVD with 5 all cardio segments with more athletic cardio and/or with a little more intensity? Well, they have! It's Catherine (Cat) Chiarelli's Rapid Results Fat Burner.

This has been mentioned before, like on the thread Lots of new releases at Target! - look for posts by Denise R and Jane 1721 on pages 5 & 6 (and on this thread: Who's the instructor for "10 Minute Solution Rapid Results Fat Burner"?).

Here's a mini review of it from me (for my full review, which will probably take you longer to read than to do the actual workout, click here):

I did the full shebang on Friday, and this gets a thumbs up from me.

As you'll expect, this has 5 approximately 10-min. segments, only here they're all more athletic floor cardio. Each has a different focus: Power Sports Drills, Extreme Intervals (15 sec. on, 15 off, rinse & repeat), Low Impact Fat Blaster (basic "old school" hi/lo or floor aerobics), Rapid Results Kickboxing, and Cardio Max (similar moves to the Low Impact Fat Blaster, only here they're higher impact and intensity).
I found Extreme Intervals the most challenging, followed closely by Power Sports Drills and Cardio Max, and then Rapid Results Kickboxing, with Low Impact Fat Blaster the least intense. When I ran through all five segments together, I started with Power Sports Drills, did Extreme Intervals, allowed myself a breather with Rapid Results Kickboxing, put in a last push with Cardio Max, and then allowed my heart rate to drift down with Low Impact Fat Blaster; this type of series worked well for me.

I can hear the groans as I type that this does have warm-ups and cool-downs in each segment. Power Sports Drills actually has 2.5 min. of warm-up, but she quickly throws in jumping jacks (has someone been talking to Jillian Michaels?). The cool-downs are almost all the same few quick stretches and usually don't last more than about 30 sec.

A heads up: This has quite a bit of impact with minimal suggestions for modifications or substitutions. Also, Cat likes to use squats and lunges. But there aren't that many turns, and you could leave out the one pivot that appears.

I’d recommend this to intermediate / intermediate + exercisers, as Cat moves quickly through things. This won't impress the Insanity crew, but for someone like me (int/adv) it's a solid heart pumping workout.

I feel this one is one destined for tepid praise - the moves are interesting enough, the cuing's all right, the music's just OK, Cat's pleasant, this is a good video - but that's fine by me, as a) it deserves some accolades and b) not every workout in my (admittedly rather large) collection needs to be superlative-inspiring or on my Desert Island list. I’m very pleased this is pretty much just what I expected based on description and previews (Collage has a clip, and Mary should have one soon, too): a DVD with short, straightforward, pure cardio segments that are decently intense. It’s a solid, well done workout that I’m happy to own, and it should earn its keep within my collection thanks to its usefulness and versatility: I can use it in parts as warm-ups, add-ons, or even finishers, or I can do most to all of it as a decently intense stand-alone cardio session.

I don't have too many 10MS cardio DVDs. This probably compares closest to Michelle's (Carb &) Calorie Burner; I feel RRFB is like the next step, in that Cat already assumes you know the basics plus takes things up a notch in intensity. I had Keli's Kickbox Bootcamp, but that was so long ago I don't remember much about that. I have Petra's Dance off Belly Fat, but that doesn't compare well with this, except maybe the Low Impact Fat Burner segment, which is similar.

Oh, this one of the new ones at Target with the Fitness magazine offer (although I'm going to send it in for the $7 refund instead, making this a good deal ).

ETA: Please, anyone else who's done this DVD, consider adding your review both to this thread and to the VF Review section via the link I provided above.

Note: I have had a professional relationship with a vendor of health and fitness books and media. For details please see my profile.
KathAL79 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-10, 07:19 PM  
counterclockwise

Thanks Kath!

Ok, I'm a little to say this, but, I did not um, really enjoy her as a background exerciser in Powerfit Harmony. She seemed to be very flirty and seemed like she was trying to exercise like a ballerina or something. How was she in this one?
counterclockwise is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-10, 10:10 PM  
KathAL79

Nyx, I didn't get any flirty, come hither vibes. She's pretty toned down and down to business most of the time; I wouldn't be surprised if some folks think she doesn't have much personality, especially since she pretty much just cues and really doesn't even do much of the cheesy "And you're burning that fat away for those rapid results!" remarks. I think the workout is intense enough for her that she has to concentrate on making it through everything and remembering to cue. (Oh, she does breathe a little hard in parts, which I didn't notice on my TV set-up but did catch on my laptop. And she says "up" with kind of a "HUP" tone, which is a really nitpicky thing to point out.)
I read afterwards about her dance background, and it makes sense with her posture and the way she moves. She doesn't scream "I'm an ex-ballerina" here, but while she does a good job of executing moves cleanly you can tell she wasn't really the sporty or martial artist type in her previous life.
ETA: Definitely check out the Collage clip and if you can hold out for Mary's presumably slightly longer clip so you can tell me if she's less obnoxious as a lead than as a background exerciser!

Note: I have had a professional relationship with a vendor of health and fitness books and media. For details please see my profile.
Old 07-26-10, 10:24 PM  
Sophia

I was interested in this one since I like the 10 Min Solutions workouts for days when I need to add on but the clip on Collage had just too much jumping for me. I'm not a jumper. Definitely a low impact gal. As for Cat, I have a Crunch workout that she leads (it's an ab workout) which I havne't done in awhile (cuz I have TOOOO many workouts), but I don't recall her being flirty in that one.
Sophia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-10, 10:32 PM  
KathAL79

Sophia, I'm sorry to say to you and other non-jumpers that the Collage clip gives a pretty accurate representation of the amount of impact in this one. Two of the segments are low impact (the Low Impact Fat Blaster and the Rapid Results Kickboxing), but the others depend upon lots of jumping. This one could have benefited from a modifier showing lower impact variations, but that's not usually how 10MS rolls...

Old 07-26-10, 10:41 PM  
Sophia

That's okay. As I mentioned in my post, I have WAAAAAY too many workouts. This is just one less to get! Actually makes me kind of happy. Don't care for what I've seen of the new Bob Harper workouts either, so that's another 3 less. COOL!!
Sophia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-10, 10:44 PM  
KathAL79

Well, Sophia, in that case I'm glad I could save you money! I swear, I've disenabled more people with my positive reviews than I've ever enabled.

But, yeah, I know the feeling about too many workouts. But this one was such a good deal at Target... Sigh. Too many workouts, too little time - a vidiot's problem, for sure!

Old 07-27-10, 12:18 AM  
Pam61
VF Supporter

I did all five segments today as well, and liked it! Like Kath mentioned, the Kickbox and Low Impact aerobics chapter are the least intense, but still kinda fun! I don't care for too much high impact, but I didn't think this was too bad at all (and it's only short bursts in some of the other programs!)

I have lot's of 10MS, and can see myself using this one quite a bit (and I expected to really dislike it, LOL!) If I had to choose my least favorite it was probably the kickboxing, but I enjoyed the others very much!

Choosing the play all option plays them in the order they are listed on the back of the DVD. Starting with the Sports Drills and ending with Cardio Max. I would probably start and finish with the two easier segments when I want to customize my workout.

Interesting that Michelle Dozois and Lisa Wheeler did the choreography for this (even though Cat leads/instructs the workout! I do find Cat to be a bit of a flirt also (there's just something about her that says "sexy!") But, she does an excellent job in this with cueing, and has an upbeat personality. I also have her Crunch abs video, but it's been over a year since I've done that one, so can't recall how I felt towards it.

Normally, I'm not a big cardio fan, so having these short chapters is nice! The flow is good, and as Kath mentioned Cat changes things up to keep it interesting. I found the "Old School Aerobics" pretty creative.

I'd say it's also very well suited for the intermediate exerciser, with maybe the kickboxing being more for beginners. If you're advanced and used to intense workouts, this probably won't be enough of a challenge!

Current Rotation:
Dean Pohlman (Man Flow Yoga) 90 Days to Flexible Phase 3 (Intermediate)
Cathe Strength Training (ICE & LITE series)
Pam61 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-10, 12:50 AM  
ldj

Thanks for the reviews! I really want this now.

Lara
ldj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-10, 01:24 AM  
Pam61
VF Supporter

Not sure this was mentioned, but there's no background crew (just Cat alone!) I was fine with that.

The music was best for the last Cardio Max segment, and it will be recognizable to some of you. In some of the chapters there is just what sounds like a drum beat, if I'm remembering correctly.

I'm not a dance girl, so there's nothing in this that would trip me up choreography wise. Everything is pretty straight forward.

I also hate, hate, hate plyometric, jumping, and super high intense anything! I can do this workout and feel I got a good workout without killing myself with IMAX type workouts! This is very doable for most people, IMO. You'll get that heartrate up without puking or passing out, LOL!

Current Rotation:
Dean Pohlman (Man Flow Yoga) 90 Days to Flexible Phase 3 (Intermediate)
Cathe Strength Training (ICE & LITE series)
Pam61 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
10 minute solution, cat chiarelli, intermediate workouts, multiple workouts per day, rapid results, rapid results fat burner, sparks