Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > General Discussion

Old 10-02-08, 10:37 AM  
la mancha

attachments for pilates stick

The pilates stick has a strap with a piece of foam that you put on the other side of the door and close it. It is best if it is a door that does not open toward you. I have a danskin tube similiar and they just have a small ball in the tubing that does the same thing. Anything that keeps the strap from pulling through.
Pilatesstick has several attachment options. There is the door attachment, a ballet bar (the fixed to the wall bar, not a mobile bar), and a wall mount that you put into a stud. I went to Lowe's last night and bought what I needed to make the stick and the large wall mount. I also bought a couple of springs, in case I want to use that as an option. These two items (stick and wall mount)
are $300 from pilatesstick, but I got everything for $67, and I used a more expensive piece of wood than I probably had to, but I tend toward overkill when it comes to making something. So, I am going to make my combo Pilate stick/springboard starting tonight. If anyone is interested I will let you know how it goes.
Lori
la mancha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-08, 11:04 AM  
LovingLife
VF Supporter

Thanks for sharing all of this Lori. Maybe you could be the Pilates Stick making VFer like ErinF was long ago for the mini-step topper. She posted instructions for us and I ended up making 2 for myself and several that I sold on the Ya-Ya swap for others (since they didn't make them back then, but Cathe had workouts for them).

I've been looking at these more in my Pilates Style Magazine and I think I'd want the wall mount, which would make them even doubly too pricey for me too. My doors just aren't in a good spot for using them -- especially with a dvd.

I'm curious about the slastic vs. springs too. There's another device (in this price range) that was featured in Pilates Style this month that gives the option of slastic or springs. It's called Tower on the Go. (Go down to the very bottom -- I can't seem to figure out how to get it to show up on a page by itself.

The springs option costs $20 more. But it doesn't have a bar and doesn't seem like it would be as stable to me with just 2 bands on the door. It may be something you want to look at, though Lori, in designing yours. If you look at the wall tower at the top of that web page (for $1395), it has a few bars to keep it stable.

I'm attaching the pic.

This company also sells reformer springs, slastic bands, loops, poles, etc. I'm sure it would add up to making your own to buy that all from them, but it could give you (or me!) an idea of what quality they use in their products to look for at the hardware store. I think I'd buy a resistance band at Ross or Target with a loop and take it apart before I'd buy a loop for $65.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg tower-on-the-go.jpg (4.4 KB, 236 views)

"I know you're tired, but jump higher!"
-- Cathe

DISCLOSURE: I had a professional relationship with Beachbody. For details, take a look at my profile or see my blog www.foodplusfitness.net .
LovingLife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-08, 11:14 AM  
la mancha

Tower on the Go

I looked at that site (real quick peek) and I see they sell the Ellie Herman Springboard too, which is like a mounted version of the Tower on the Go.
I am interested too on the amount of tension on the elastic of the pilatesstick. Well at least the tubing was free since a local PT gave it to me when I told him what I was trying to accomplish.
If this works, which I am pretty sure it will, I might actually have to learn how to post pictures with my digital camera (which after two years is still a source of anxiety for me!).
Pilates Style, sounds like an interesting magazine or newsletter.
Lori
la mancha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-08, 11:43 AM  
LovingLife
VF Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by la mancha
I looked at that site (real quick peek) and I see they sell the Ellie Herman Springboard too, which is like a mounted version of the Tower on the Go.
I am interested too on the amount of tension on the elastic of the pilatesstick. Well at least the tubing was free since a local PT gave it to me when I told him what I was trying to accomplish.
If this works, which I am pretty sure it will, I might actually have to learn how to post pictures with my digital camera (which after two years is still a source of anxiety for me!).
Pilates Style, sounds like an interesting magazine or newsletter.
Lori
That will be wonderful to see once you have it all done.

Pilates Style is a great magazine. They have a website with some of their articles available (maybe 1/4 of them?) I think they do this to get you interested in the ones you can't see . I bought it last year with my son's school magazine sale. They didn't sell it this year though. I bought Yoga Journal a few years back and enjoyed it, but I think I like this one better.

-- Cathe

DISCLOSURE: I had a professional relationship with Beachbody. For details, take a look at my profile or see my blog www.foodplusfitness.net .
Old 10-02-08, 01:31 PM  
kelsey211
VF Supporter

At the suggestion of VFer who has ordered the Pilatesstick, I called the company today and spoke with Charles, the owner and inventor. He said that the Slastix Tubing that comes with the Pilatesstick is considered "heavy". He said that he weighs 225 lbs and he is fine using it. There is a heavier tubing ("extra heavy") that can also be ordered as an accessory item but he said it wasn't necessary to have it initially. I also asked him about wrapping the tubing around a Fluidity Bar since I wasn't interested in putting up a wall bar or permanent anchor and he said other clients have done this.

I've scanned in the Pilates Style article on the Pilatesstick. If anyone is interested, send me an email through VF and I can email it to you.
kelsey211 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-08, 10:25 AM  
LovingLife
VF Supporter

I received an e-mail from the Pilates Stick people last night (since I entered the contest to win one through Pilates Style magazine).

No, I didn't win one (sniff, sniff), but they are offering a discount in this e-mail as a thank-you for all who entered. It says $50 off, but I think it's more like $20 off. It's $50 off the Pilates Stick and advanced dvd (which they must value at $30), but they say it shows up as $20 off (with the free dvd, which they're already offering for free on their website now anyway).

Here's the code pstyle and here's the website www.pilatesstick.com

-- Cathe

Old 10-04-08, 11:02 AM  
kelsey211
VF Supporter

Renee, did you try ordering? I can't see where there's a place to put in the code. And they don't seem to be offering the free advanced DVD anymore.
kelsey211 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-08, 12:34 PM  
Taiga

Quote:
Originally Posted by LovingLife
....... they are offering a discount in this e-mail as a thank-you for all who entered. It says $50 off, but I think it's more like $20 off. It's $50 off the Pilates Stick and advanced dvd (which they must value at $30), but they say it shows up as $20 off (with the free dvd, which they're already offering for free on their website now anyway)....

I noticed that they took that offer down yesterday-----the advanced DVD is apparently no longer included. I'm guessing they were anticipating the release of the coupon. Either way, with the stuff I have on hand (covered resistance tubing, door mount, dowel) and maybe $20 worth of hardware, I think I can piece this together at home. Not sure I'll go to the trouble just yet because I think their product is way over priced. And with the present economy, maybe the price will drop quite a bit over the next year. Honestly, for $75 (advanced DVD included), I would purchase this system today. Given the limited amount of material actually included, I feel a little offended at the current price. While they get kudos for the portable design and a few nice design extras, this isn't exactly a revolutionary product. And it is very difficult to assess the quality of instruction without more reviews on the Advanced DVD. As far as I'm concerned, the quality/level of the workout might be key to how often I would even use the product. From what I hear, the basic DVD doesn't offer much of a workout so that really only leaves the advanced DVD.

I'm excited for those folks who get the opportunity to try this early-on. I'm sure there are plenty here who would love to have a VF review to balance out the infomercial hype. Not trying to be a kill joy in any way, just a little disappointed in their pricing. This is mostly resistance tubing!!! I way over paid for my Reebok coreboard and it's 3 llittle VHS workouts in it's prime, but at least it still gives me a workout when I move it from one corner of the room to the other LOL
Old 10-04-08, 03:58 PM  
workoutqueen

Hello everyone,

I also received the email offering the discount. I called the number that is on the site to find out if the offer is still available. I actually spoke to the creator, Charles A Blount, he said that the website is experiencing technical difficulties but his computer people were working it. So the offer is still good and the promo code should be up shortly. He was very apologetic and very nice! He said there is a message on the website advising people to call if they want the special price. He offered to take my order and of course, at this point I caved .

Katrina
workoutqueen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-08, 05:11 PM  
LovingLife
VF Supporter

Katrina -- It will be fun to hear what you think of it.

Kelsey -- I haven't tried to order. I'd probably only order if I canceled my STS pre-order (still on the fence on that one). I think I"d want the wall mount too and that would add to it (I haven't even looked into that price, but I think someone said it just about doubles it -- perhaps that would be the easy part to make though).

Taiga -- Maybe they're able to ask this now since they sell to studios too (and this is a good solid option for them that avoids the cost of bigger equipment). I also know from my husband being a designer/manufacturer that unless you have big orders or a big company name, it costs more to make them at first. Perhaps, like you said, if these do sell well, the price will drop over the next year.

Lori -- I'm excited to hear how your version turns out!

-- Cathe

Tags
diy, homemade, pilates bar, pilatesstick