Register Support VF Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-01-08, 07:36 AM  
Marie1120
VF Supporter

Renee - have you seen this?
http://www.power-systems.com/p-3091-...eform-bar.aspx
Also a DVD for using it:
http://www.power-systems.com/p-3092-reform-bar-dvd.aspx

They also sell the one that attaches to the door but I thought this looked interesting for the price.
2009 - 312/300

"Those who remove mountains begin by carrying away small stones."
- Chinese Proverb

"Getting up in the morning is a case of mind over mattress." Ziggy
Marie1120 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-08, 07:49 AM  
weighttrain
VF Supporter

Renee, check out the Wal-mart Danskin pilates home gym.

Beth
Old 10-01-08, 09:40 AM  
Inchworm

That does look interesting! Also, isn't that the exercise girl from all of the Winsor workouts who usually is right in the front?

Kelly
Inchworm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-08, 09:53 AM  
kelsey211
VF Supporter

Or you can wait for the Gaiam Coreplus Reformer kit with Mari Winsor. Amazon has it for pre-order for $21.99.

Coreplus Reformer kit

On the Power Systems DVDs, I see that Leslee Bender is the instructor. I have a reformer workalong DVD that she put out and she is excellent in it.

I still may hold out for the Pilatesstick though. The cable is heavier and I like the Slastix covering.

Here are some youtube links.

Pilatesstick Basics
Pilatesstick on TV Guide
Pilatesstick
kelsey211 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-08, 10:24 AM  
Honeydew

do you think that the leslee dvd would work with the pilates stick? I need to get this! the setup looks so much easier than supreme pilates.

does anyone know how much tension(not sure if that's the word I'm looking for)the stick has? for example, when I've done SP I can only use the long springs as that has enough tension for me.
Honeydew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-08, 10:34 AM  
kelsey211
VF Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Honeydew
do you think that the leslee dvd would work with the pilates stick? I need to get this! the setup looks so much easier than supreme pilates.

does anyone know how much tension(not sure if that's the word I'm looking for)the stick has? for example, when I've done SP I can only use the long springs as that has enough tension for me.
I don't know, it's hard to say. Check out the Equipment Section of VF--jahra started a thread on the Pilatesstick. She just ordered it yesterday. She called the company and said they were very helpful.
Pilatesstick
kelsey211 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-08, 10:37 AM  
la mancha

Making one

I saw the pilatesstick too and really want it, but don't want to pay that.
I am in the process of making one. The description is pretty detailed and on the Youtube video it demonstrates how it goes together and even says you can use springs for the wall mount attachment they make. I went to a physical therapy office and they gave me a long piece of resistance tubing that I will make a fleece sleeve for. I will let people know how it worked.
I am going to combine it's design with the springboard made by Ellie Herman.

I have a Fluidity bar and chose that over the Supreme Pilates. Are the SP workouts still available? From this thread it sounds like I could use the Pilates stick and the Fluidity bar to do the Supreme Pilates workouts.
I would like to see a list of workouts that uses these more low tech workouts that simulate the expensive pilates equipment. Does anyone have a list?

Just on a side note. I am sold on pilates more than ever. Less than two weeks ago I had surgery for problems with stess incontinence. Three days after the surgery I was out walking the dog, making jam, doing light gardening. My ob/gyn and his staff were amazed when I saw him three days after surgery. The strength that pilates builds and how it teaches you to move really helped protect that area and made my recovery easier.

Lori
la mancha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-08, 03:28 PM  
la mancha

springs versus elastic tubing

Can anyone explain the difference between using springs and elastic tubing on pilates exercises. Someone mentioned the springs as an advantage and I am curious about that.

Thanks,
Lori
la mancha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-08, 04:43 PM  
Gibbee
VF Supporter

la mancha -

You might catch the covered or wrapped tubing some place like TJMaxx. I picked up a heavy resistance tube with the covering (Like what Gaiam has with Tanja in it on the balance disk - another alternative source available at Target) for something like $9.99 not too long ago.
Gibbee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-08, 09:30 PM  
Honeydew

those of you that have supreme pilates couldn't you use the bar and the springs and the loop things? then we would just have to figure a way to connect it to a doorway have some tubing or something.....but it looks like if you have sp already then you have most of the stuff you need to make your own pilates stick. what do ya think?
Honeydew is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
diy, homemade, pilates bar, pilatesstick