Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > General Discussion

Old 05-15-02, 04:54 PM  
gonnabehotmomma

Question Pilates for Dummies

Ok, I have seen a few posts about Pilates for dummies (mostly on the trade lists).

What is up with this tape? Could it be renamed "Pilates for out of shape people who used to be limber but are not any longer"? This is what I am hoping for, but I have never even seen it in any of my video stores.

I used to be a FIRM fanatic (and still am) but I had a baby 15months ago and have done nada since I got the positive pregnancy test confirmed. Sooo... now I am on the very long road back to being lean and healthy. It takes time to get there and I was hoping to find some interesting things that will be fun while I am rebuilding my strength, stamina, and flexibility. I also have gained a LOT of weight, so the exercises can't be too high impact.

I love FIRM Basics and took Ballet classes (which I loved even though I looked like an escaped hippo from Fantasia).

Any reviews of this video would be outstanding!

Thanks

Mary
gonnabehotmomma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-02, 07:31 PM  
Rivercat
VF Supporter

I really like this tape. It was my first intro to Pilates at a point when I was fairly out of shape and not at all flexible. I used it about twice a week for about a month (doing straight cardio and light weights on the other days), and noticed a definite difference in my core strength and posture.

The instructor is Michele Dozois, who is a certifed Method Pilates instructor. She's pleasant and very low key, and explains the 18 matwork exercises well. There are modifications for making many of the exercises easier and more challenging, so you can grow with the tape. The whole thing takes about 30 minutes. It's a very basic set... almost looks like they threw a mat down on the floor of a multipurpose room. Some people are bothered by the For Dummies series sound effects, but I didn't think there were enough to be annoying. Best of all, you can find the tape for under $10, so it's a fairly low risk investment.

Hope this helps!
Rivercat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-02, 07:38 PM  
Loretta S.
VF Supporter

I really like PFD too. Michelle Dozios explains the exercises really clearly. I like the sequence too. Rivercat is right, for $10 how could you go wrong!
Old 05-15-02, 07:45 PM  
Mopsy
VF Supporter

Hi Mary,

Pilates for Dummies is a great intro to pilates. There is a short introduction to proper form at the beginning, then about 25 minutes of exercises. It's not cardio, you won't burn many calories, but I found it really helps with core strength (I don't like crunches) and posture. I haven't yet become long and lean, but I do feel a difference in my posture and how I move. The "Dummies" format keeps the workout a little lighthearted and enjoyable, but still emphasizes the importance of form and focus.

I would recommend it.
Mopsy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-02, 08:43 PM  
Caroline Kim
VF Supporter

DVD vs VHS

I have the Pilates for Dummies DVD and love it. However, I prefer the intermediate workout (about 25 min also) because it doesn't have the pop-ups. In the beginner variation Michelle does show a lot of variations, which is good.

Does the VHS have the intermediate workout too?

Tags
pilates for dummies