I wonder if it would work with "QUIT SMOKING"
Do you smoke???

Karen

QUIT SLOUCHING!!!
KarenP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-04, 06:05 PM  
glavtx
VF Supporter

I'm late with an answer, but just want to add that I've seen 202 quite a few times, and even 204 a few times on my HRM when I've been going all out - Spinervals, a few of Cathes Step workouts, heavyhands, etc. If I was 16, I'd think I was hitting the calculated max for my age. I'm 46 1/2 though, so according to those formulas, I should probably be dead I can hang in the 180's and feel good during an intense cardio workout.

A few of the books I've read say that some people are just "high responders" and none of the calculations are going to apply. Almost everything I've read says the formulas are just what the "average" age adjusted HR is, so there'd be a lot of people below it, and a lot of people above it.

I know the "fat burning zone" is controversial, too. Yes, you'll burn more total calories going above it, and so more fat calories, too. Lately I've been trying to stick with aerobic base building, which is staying in that lower, fat burning zone. It's supposed to train your body to use more fat for fuel all the time, as well as let you recover from overtraining - not that you have been. Since I've been doing it, I have lost a tiny bit of weight, and I'm sleeping better, have none of my ususal monthly perimenopause/PMS mood problems, am not craving sweets like normal... I think I was overtraining to some extent, so I'm trying hard to stick with it -- hard, because I love the high intensity workouts...and seeing lots of calories burned on the HRM

To lose some weight quickly, I'd stick with what you've been doing, if it's working, and not worry abut the zone you're in. Good luck!

If the only prayer you say in your life is Thank You, that would suffice.
Meister Eckhart

It is our resistance to things as they are that causes most unhappiness.

When you rise in the morning, give thanks for the light, for your life, for your
strength. Give thanks for your food and for the joy of living. If you see no
reason to give thanks, the fault lies in yourself. Tecumseh
glavtx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-04, 06:06 PM  
PamelaP

Quote:
Originally Posted by Videophile
ME TOO!! I wonder if it would work with "QUIT SMOKING" or QUIT DRINKING!!" or "QUIT BLOWING OFF YOUR WORKOUT!!!"
Oh man, that last one would be awesome. If no one else wants to adopt it, I will! Mostly as a "note to self," of course.
PamelaP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-04, 07:28 PM  
KarenP
VF Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by PamelaP
Oh man, that last one would be awesome. If no one else wants to adopt it, I will! Mostly as a "note to self," of course.
That's what my "quit slouching" is. So go for it Pam!

Karen

QUIT SLOUCHING!!!
KarenP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-04, 08:05 PM  
Videophile

Quote:
Originally Posted by KarenP
Do you smoke???
Nope. Quit about 50 (that's right, 50) yrs ago. And never did like drinking except for a small eggnog during the holidays.

Nancy
Videophile is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-04, 08:12 PM  
Videophile

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michelle
You may be on to something...could you put QUIT BUYING VIDEOS on your signature for me?
I would but my sig. is so long now it's practically a book. :rolleyes: Now GO WORK OUT!!!

Nancy
Videophile is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
sparks