Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > General Discussion
Register Support VF Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-03-04, 09:56 PM  
Kimberly33

Quote:
Originally Posted by kkshedevil
Someone here recommended the book "Pain Free" by Pete Egoscue. Whoever it was, thank you, thank you, thank you!!!!!

I checked it out from the library on Tuesday. I've had nagging knee stuff for 2-3 years now, and I've already seen improvement from following his recommendations. I'm not "cured" but I feel confident that I'm on the right track at last.
Several people have been recommending it, but I've been pushing it lately. I'm SO happy to hear that it's making a difference for you! I've FINALLY started doing some of the E-cises myself, and am noticing some differences. Of course, I just sent my copy to my dad--he's had some serious hip pain for a while, and I'm hoping he'll find some help.

Kimberly

Set the gearshift for the high gear of your soul
You've got to run like an antelope, out of control. (Phish)

Can't control the kittens!
Too many whiskers. Too many whiskers
(Sleep Talkin' Man)
Kimberly33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-04, 11:22 PM  
Vintage VFer
VF Supporter

I was having a very bad time with my knees last year. I had several tests, including an MRI which didn't show anything conclusive. Possible early-stage arthritis. I started using a glucosamine/chondroitin supplement and got relief within weeks. I still have twinges (and avoid some exercises), but don't have pain all the time like I did before.

Here is a poll I posted asking other VFers their experiences with G/C. It is long, but very helpful:

http://69.93.245.62/forum/showthread.php?t=28469

Three books I would highly recommend:

What Your Doctor Won't Tell You About Knee Pain & Surgery - Ronald P. Grelsamer M.D.

Wear & Tear - Dr. Bob Arnot

Peak Performance Fitness - Jennifer Rhodes, M.S.PT

(I have the Pain-Free book, but haven't tried the exercises yet.)

Keep us posted on your progress.

POSTURE CHECK!
Vintage VFer is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-04, 02:44 PM  
rosaelia99

I just bought a book called, "No More Knee Pain, A Woman's Guide To Natural Prevention And Relief."

It says that it is a must-read for any woman who has or wants to avoid knee problems.

I have not read it yet, but it looks pretty interesting.
rosaelia99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-04, 03:49 PM  
KathAL79

Definitely get a second opinion!
I was in physical therapy for an ankle problem, but I'm not convinced they were as thorough as they should have been, just like you suspect, catgirl. Anyway, a few years later I also had knee problem. My kneecap slipped out of place due to poor alignment. The doctor told me it was more common for women than men to have knee problems due to alignment because of our wider hips. (The good news, he said, is that women don't get gout as often, for what that's worth.) After physical therapy, my kneecap is right back where it belongs. But I'm going to go check out some of those books mentioned because I'd like to prevent this from happening again. I also have a sneaking suspicion my alignment is still not what it should be. Thanks for all of the info!
KathAL79 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
knee pain, proprioception