Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > General Discussion
Register Support VF Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 01-21-22, 03:41 AM  
Negin

Thank you all so much!
Old 01-21-22, 08:38 AM  
donnamp

Lisa - thanks for that video!

I'm glad Man Flow yoga helps - I liked what I saw of his channel - but I admit to getting sidetracked and not doing as much of it as I intended.

I recently switched office chairs for a better one - and that has helped quite a bit. And I'm still trying to do some type of hip/glute work most days per week - even if it is just 10 min or so.

I do need to get back to work with Man Flow yoga, though. I see a lot of potential there!

Donna
donnamp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-22, 08:56 AM  
SFR
VF Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by donnamp View Post
Lisa - thanks for that video!

I'm glad Man Flow yoga helps - I liked what I saw of his channel - but I admit to getting sidetracked and not doing as much of it as I intended.

I recently switched office chairs for a better one - and that has helped quite a bit. And I'm still trying to do some type of hip/glute work most days per week - even if it is just 10 min or so.

I do need to get back to work with Man Flow yoga, though. I see a lot of potential there!

Donna
I know what you mean about getting sidetracked - I did too. Yoga is not my favorite style of exercise. Dean holds poses for a long time and doesn't mirror cue. He also expects us to have accessible wall space in our workout area which I don't have.

On the plus side - I really like the way he urges you to push harder for the last few seconds. I can tell I'm getting stronger when I look forward to that. I don't know much about yoga but I suspect this is not all yoga. There's a lot of regular PT-type exercises which is a big draw for me. The most important thing for me is that I'm on the extension-based track so there's a bare minimum of forward bending.

In a stretching video in the January challenge he had an interaction with his dog which was adorable. I can't get mad at him now.

His membership is kind of expensive. The deal with the January challenge wasn't as good as I hoped. I subscribed monthly so I can do the entire back program and then I'll hopefully be strong enough to get back to the types of workouts I enjoy more.

It's been a learning experience about increasing the ratio of strength vs stretching - Donna, thanks for also posting about this specific topic. Sometimes I think I should stay away from VF so that I don't keep losing focus by trying new things - but I wouldn't have learned this lesson.
Old 01-22-22, 08:58 AM  
SFR
VF Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Negin View Post
Thank you all so much!
I'm really glad that you found things that are working for you! This thread will be a good resource for me - thanks for posting!
Old 01-22-22, 09:50 AM  
toaster
Exchange Moderator

I keep meaning to try the nerve gliding! Some days I'm fine, other days I have such stiffness in my upper glute on one side (just under the waist for me) that I feel like tin man, especially bending down.

I did do a video yesterday from Blogilates that I thought some might find helpful. It focuses on the area of the "Under Butt," a tough area to access - and since it's all connected, that area could contribute. I also thought it was more useful than some of the "glute activation" videos that I have tried.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hJ7-9CJuMD8

Follow me @YogiBethC

YouTube|Instagram|Facebook
And yes, I am Reviewer Dr. Beth on Amazon.
toaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-22, 01:31 PM  
donnamp

Lisa - we are on the same page!! LOL! I agree that the membership to Man Flow Yoga is a bit pricey so I will likely just use his You Tube channel unless a good deal comes through. He also has DVDs so I may look into those.

Beth -thanks for posting that video - I will check it out.

Donna
donnamp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-22, 02:08 PM  
Negin

Quote:
Originally Posted by toaster View Post
I did do a video yesterday from Blogilates that I thought some might find helpful. It focuses on the area of the "Under Butt," a tough area to access - and since it's all connected, that area could contribute. I also thought it was more useful than some of the "glute activation" videos that I have tried.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hJ7-9CJuMD8
Beth, thank you so much for this. Adding this to my playlist to try later.
Old 01-22-22, 03:26 PM  
toaster
Exchange Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Negin View Post
Beth, thank you so much for this. Adding this to my playlist to try later.
You are welcome! I liked it b/c it was only 5 moves, very doable, yet I still felt it.

Follow me @YogiBethC

YouTube|Instagram|Facebook
And yes, I am Reviewer Dr. Beth on Amazon.
toaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-22, 10:00 PM  
Lorelai

Quote:
Originally Posted by donnamp View Post
I have to put in a plug once again for Annie Pilates Physical Therapy on You tube.

I have been regularly doing these three workouts of hers:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gSnzads6O3w

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DVQ_k4Wk8C4

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c54v5Xxj9nE

As well as these from Jessica Valent

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WOFRAx3cQyA

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=83w1W1-BvEU

There is some overlap in the exercises among all of these videos - but I think the overarching theme is glute and hip activation and strengthening.

Since doing these my pain has been relieved quite a bit - and if I feel some twinges going on I do one of these or a couple of exercises from them and find some relief.

I think in my case my main issue is weakness in my hips and glutes that causes my lower back to take over for those muscles that are fast asleep.

Good luck!

Donna
Thanks for the referral to Annie Pilates Physical Therapy. I just watched her video for sacroiliac dysfunction and it doesn't mess around! I'm going to try it tomorrow. She really hits it from all angles. Today I did the sacroiliac joint routine by Jessica Valent which was pretty good too, although I had to modify the rear leg lifts.

I'm self diagnosed, but after three pregnancies and with my symptoms, the SI is a likely culprit. I think my piriformis is involved as well, and possibly the joint at my hip. My internal rotation is terrible. My glutes are weak and hip flexors are tight...so I figure strengthening those areas can't hurt. I'm also including CS 1020 Back Pain Relief (all floor) several times per week because I feel like it helps too, and adds some mobility and flexibility exercises into the mix. I was doing the standing and barre episodes but would randomly have problems, and I think my pelvis wasn't appreciating the "shearing" effect of certain moves, and there so many lunge variations too... Plus the balance work that put a lot of pressure on an already uneven/unstable pelvis. It's a real shame but I hope I can do those things without causing problems if I get stronger. Oh! I've also been doing this gentle SI joint self adjustment video daily and it helps! It's also strengthening.

https://youtu.be/Az1wKCmD52Q

"Practice makes progress." Jessica Smith

"There's always an option before we quit." Jessica Smith

"You don't have to be a ballerina to feel like one." Ellen Barrett
Lorelai is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
butt/glute workout, dean pohlman, glute activation, hip and glute pain, hip pain, man flow yoga, nerve flossing, nerve gliding, pain relief, piriformis