Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > General Discussion
Register Support VF Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 01-22-19, 02:17 PM  
summer breeze
VF Supporter

Degenerative disc disease

I went to the doctor today for my low back pain and the x-ray and exam showed degenerative disc disease, arthritis in my low back and some piriformis issue. He prescribed a steroid for a week and 6 weeks of PT. I'm the most concerned about the steroid. I don't really want to take it but he said it was necessary for the inflammation. I've read some pretty scary things about steroid use. I tried some searches but didn't come up with much info here. Does anyone have experience with this condition and have some information or advice for me as far as treatment and results? TIA
summer breeze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-19, 02:27 PM  
sheepla
VF Supporter

I have the same, low back pain, degenerative disc disease, arthritis in low back, etc. The steroid will help you and one week's worth will be fine.

I tried a lot of things for this, including massage, quality time with my heating pad, yin yoga, pilates and oddly, the one thing that has helped the most for controlling the pain is....walking. Go figure. I can't really explain it. Now the pain only flares up when I don't walk regularly for several days.
Old 01-22-19, 02:30 PM  
summer breeze
VF Supporter

Thanks for your response, Shelia. Interesting you said that about walking because when I'm at work and walking I'm fine. I have always been an avid walker but have slacked off the past several months with the colder weather. I need to get back at it consistently for sure.
Old 01-22-19, 02:33 PM  
JackieB
VF Supporter

I get a lot of relief from chiropractic care and massage.

Certified Essentrics Instructor, Level 4---February 2017
Yoga Tune Up Roll Model Method Practitioner---December 2021

"Movement is a privilege. You don't have to exercise. You get to exercise. Visit a person whose mobility is severely limited, and you'll appreciate the distinction. Do what you can, count yourself lucky, heal yourself in the process." Essentrics Colorado
JackieB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-19, 03:27 PM  
sbh

Quote:
Originally Posted by sheepla View Post
I have the same, low back pain, degenerative disc disease, arthritis in low back, etc. The steroid will help you and one week's worth will be fine.

I tried a lot of things for this, including massage, quality time with my heating pad, yin yoga, pilates and oddly, the one thing that has helped the most for controlling the pain is....walking. Go figure. I can't really explain it. Now the pain only flares up when I don't walk regularly for several days.
Yes, walking! And core strength. My low back has been a mess for the last 15 years. S1 - totally gone, L5 blown, L4 & L3 bulging. I don't take any prescription meds. I have had to learn to modify quite a few exercises. When my low back flares up with inflammation, I take some aspirin, soak in hot water with epsom salts, and rest. HTH!
sbh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-19, 03:44 PM  
mwelters
VF Supporter

I had the same issues as you for about 10 to 15 years. The steroid use is short term and along with physical therapy works great. I agree with Sheila and Sherri core strength is crucial. If you can afford it try Pilates Reformer classes. I take those once a week and it helps teach me to use my core for everything I do. I am very sensitive to the cold and currently have had some acupuncture sessions with cupping to deal with tight back muscles. Just know that we are with you.

Maria
mwelters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-19, 04:44 PM  
JackieB
VF Supporter

Pilates has done nothing but irritate my back.

I agree with core strength. Yep of course I do Essentrics but also do Ellen, Jessica Smith, walk, ski, and occasional yoga.

Certified Essentrics Instructor, Level 4---February 2017
Yoga Tune Up Roll Model Method Practitioner---December 2021

"Movement is a privilege. You don't have to exercise. You get to exercise. Visit a person whose mobility is severely limited, and you'll appreciate the distinction. Do what you can, count yourself lucky, heal yourself in the process." Essentrics Colorado
JackieB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-19, 04:47 PM  
yogapam
VF Supporter

Hi SB, sorry you’re going through this!

I also have degenerative disc disease in my lumbar spine, diagnosed a couple of years ago. Along with it I’ve had SI issues occasionally. I have not taken steroids for it, but I did go for PT which was very helpful. My physio explained that in my case the discs had shrunk slightly and my ligaments & tendons had not. That makes my low spine hyper mobile and he said I notice it more because I am flexible than I would if my ROM was limited. He said I needed to work on core strength, but even more than that, glute strength. He said weak glutes are very common in women. He also did IMS dry needling which helped in the acute stage. I have been good for quite a while now, never have any problems with long walks. There are activities I stay away from, deep backbends are top of the list, and I approach wood chopper type moves with caution and light weights. I agree that Pilates is a great idea, especially reformer classes, although I know that is pricey.

Certified Level 4 Essentrics Instructor - March 2021

Hatha YTT - 2011

Your body keeps an accurate journal regardless of what you write down.....

"Take care of your body. It's the only place you have to live."
Jim Rohn

"It’s not what we do once in a while that shapes our lives, but what we do consistently.” - Tony Robbins

Check out my Instagram account, @fitness.ficti0n.inspirati0n
yogapam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-19, 09:08 AM  
summer breeze
VF Supporter

Thank you all so much for your responses. It is good to know I'm not alone in this and you all remain active. I have my first PT session tomorrow. I still haven't gotten the prednisone yet, still unsure of that, even though it's only for a very short term. I do use pilates dvds at home and love it but some of the moves do seem to irritate my back. I think maybe I will look into some reformer classes at some point. The epsom salt bath sounds good right about now too. Thank you all again for taking the time to respond.

Tags
degenerative disc disease, piriformis, steroid