Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > General Discussion

Old 12-18-16, 07:28 PM  
txhsmom
VF Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by bee View Post
Do you think if a person is not into ballet/dance it would still be interesting?
I am not a ballet or dance person (I hated The Nutcracker the last time I went); however, I am a Barre3 person and that's what drew me initially to the book. At it's heart, it's a story about a middle-aged woman (maybe 50?) who is determined to get into shape to achieve her goal, which just happens to be dancing in the Nutcracker after quitting ballet lessons as a teenager when told she didn't have a "dancer's figure".

Carol
txhsmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-16, 07:55 PM  
buffmama

I love reading books by ultra runners - not something in my future, but inspirational. Also read a book by the youngest person to climb the 8 tallest peaks in the world.
Old 12-19-16, 02:33 AM  
beyond.omega
VF Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by buffmama View Post
I love reading books by ultra runners - not something in my future, but inspirational. Also read a book by the youngest person to climb the 8 tallest peaks in the world.
I read Born to Run by Chris McDougall, and I *loved* it. I also really enjoyed No Shortcuts to the Top by Ed Viesturs. I met him at a book signing and he is just a super nice guy too. I read another mountain climbing book, but it was depressing because it was written by a bitter, jaded guy, so I am blocking it from my mind.
beyond.omega is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-16, 07:38 AM  
Dontmindthemess

I've always loved Thin for Life by Anne Fletcher. It's a weight loss book but not in the traditional sense. She researched people from all walks of life that lost weight (in varying amounts) and have kept it off. It's pretty old now and I'm sure that the nutritional information she uses has changed over the years but their "secrets" have stuck with me over the years. It's really a book about moderation.

Jane
Dontmindthemess is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-16, 11:46 AM  
beyond.omega
VF Supporter

Ovary books

Along the lines of more health type issues, a recent thread on VF started by someone about a menstrual cycle charting app made me look into it more. So, I recently read a couple of menstrual cycle books and women's health books, and even though I had considered myself knowledgeable about the subject, the new information just changed everything for me about my perspective. Although these books are geared towards fertility, they also make a connection between menstrual cycle problems and some health problems, those related to endocrine issues.

I started out getting Toni Weschler's Taking Charge of Your Fertility from the library and while it was interesting, it was a bit of a slog since it was for couple's trying to conceive. She wrote a kiddie version called Cycle Savvy for teens girls to develop self-awareness though charting, and this is what got me charting. I wish I had this book when I was 12, or even 32 when it was written, and I truly wish I had started charting at a younger age.

After I started charting using Cycle Savvy, I discovered some patterns which might indicate fertility issues, according to TCoYF. Even though I'm not TTC, I realized addressing this might help me feel healthier. I came across a book called Period Repair Manual, which helped me sort out some of those issues She doesn't talk too much about charting but charting helped me diagnose a problem, then the Period Repair Manual helped me treat it (which is still ongoing for me.)

Another book, which might be more accessible than TCoYF, but addressing adult women (rather than teens) is The Garden of Fertility by Katie Singer. I was able to get this through Interlibrary Loan and so far I am enjoying it. Less of a slog than TCoYF but still informative and interesting. She also came out with a abridged version of sorts called Honoring Our Cycles, and that could be a good way to get started charting too, but it's less informative and so kind of boring.
beyond.omega is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
books, fitness books, spark, sparks