Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > General Discussion
Register Support VF Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-31-15, 05:09 PM  
FitBoop
VF Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Debbie S. View Post
Prior to my back surgeries in the mid 90s, I did work out twice a day; cardio in the mornings, and strength work in the afternoons.

I re joined the gym this past spring after a 20 year hiatus, and about the same time, I discovered Ashley Horner's workouts. This has me back to doing workouts twice a day, and depending on the trainer that I'm doing it's either 2-3 days a week for extra leg work, or 4-5 days a week to finish that day's workout.

I personally have been enjoying getting back into the gym. I say a quick hi to a group that usually works out the same time that I do, and then I hit it. No talking or BS-ing while I'm working out.

As far as results go, the muscle gains have been crazy!!!!!! I posted pictures here before (my back, and pics when I turned 54), and my physique is even much more muscular. Crazy since I turned 58 last month.
Hi Debbie! What do you do at the gym that you aren't able to do at home? Which equipment do you like to use at the gym?
FitBoop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-15, 06:25 PM  
Hazel Porter

Quote:
Originally Posted by FitBoop View Post
Hi Debbie! What do you do at the gym that you aren't able to do at home? Which equipment do you like to use at the gym?
I realize I'm not Debbie but I can think of two things that the gym has over home workout space -- cable machines and leg press/hack squat machines. With various attachments, and arms adjust 180 degrees on with side of the weight stack, the two-arm cable machine gives me a lot more versatility than I can get at home for upper body strength exercises. And having a leg press or hack squat machine lets me go heavier than I ever could resting a barbell on my back.
Old 10-31-15, 07:22 PM  
Debbie S.
VF Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by FitBoop View Post
Hi Abbe!

Hazel pointed out some of the equipment that the gym has that I don't. I use the lying leg press machine (very heavy leg work), squat rack for hack squats, the leg extension and hamstring curl machine, and the laying hamstring curl machine for hip thrusters. I also use the cable machines for back/butt/arms, lat pulldown machine, and other equipment that I don't have at home.
Don't Compare Yourself to somebody else. BE YOUR BEST! Chalene Johnson

A Spark of Hope

In memory of:
Michael Sparkman
October 11th, 2001-October 21st, 2008
Hope Fimiani
August 26th, 2006-October 13th, 2008
Debbie S. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-15, 07:34 PM  
FitBoop
VF Supporter

Quote:
Hi Abbe!

Hazel pointed out some of the equipment that the gym has that I don't. I use the lying leg press machine (very heavy leg work), squat rack for hack squats, the leg extension and hamstring curl machine, and the laying hamstring curl machine for hip thrusters. I also use the cable machines for back/butt/arms, lat pulldown machine, and other equipment that I don't have at home.
That's great, Debbie! I've always felt like I can get a better strength workout with machines and cables, especially for legs, back and chest.
FitBoop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-15, 11:23 AM  
Hazel Porter

Quote:
Hi Abbe!

I use the. . . laying hamstring curl machine for hip thrusters.
Debbie, I can't quite picture this -- how do you do hip thrusters on the prone hamstring machine?
Old 11-02-15, 05:56 PM  
Debbie S.
VF Supporter

Hi Hazel. It takes some shimming to get into position, but once you're positioned, it works really well. The pad on the gym's lying leg curl machine angles down where your legs are and it's wider than the seat that you rest your upper body on. So it's super comfortable on my upper back. I do have to use a bench for my feet, because this piece of equipment stops allow me to keep my feet on the ground. So for me, it looks something like this:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h-EdlJt0wfI

You can also do them on a leg extension machine. I'm going to give it a whirl. What makes it nice for me is that these two pieces of equipment are older, so they are upstairs in a area that is rarely used, so I don't have guys staring at me when I'm doing them.
Don't Compare Yourself to somebody else. BE YOUR BEST! Chalene Johnson

A Spark of Hope

In memory of:
Michael Sparkman
October 11th, 2001-October 21st, 2008
Hope Fimiani
August 26th, 2006-October 13th, 2008
Debbie S. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-15, 10:30 PM  
jusca

Quote:
Originally Posted by dela View Post
This is something I so desperately want to implement, one cardio and one strength, or even 1 stretch and 1 strength or cardio, but I just cannot get past the mentality that once my workout is done for the day, it's done. This is in part why it's really hard for me to string together 2 dvds.
You said it perfectly for me. I never knew why I struggled with doing 2 workouts a day and why I have problems with switching dvds if I do shorter workouts.

When one workout over, exercising is done for the day.
jusca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-15, 09:05 AM  
neatski

Quote:
Originally Posted by bubbles76 View Post

Neatski, do you still do barre? What type of HIIT and circuit workouts do you do?
I do, all Barre3. As far as HIIT and circuit workouts, for convenience, I've been doing almost exclusively Zuzka's workouts. I could make up my own but there's something motivating and nice about having it all nicely packaged up and written out for me. Plus, her kettlebell workouts are phenomenal.

The most effective workout is the one you're not doing right now!

neatski is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
sparks