Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > General Discussion
Register Support VF Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-27-15, 04:33 PM  
bubbles76

I have goals, but they are pretty generic. My goals are to be stronger, more flexible, and increase my cardio endurance. My most recent goal is to be pain free. I always have a rotation, because if there is no plan I probably wouldn't be as consistent with my exercise
"You humans have the potential to be the most wonderful beings there are - if you can get past all these enormous stupid spots you seem to have in your hearts. It's not your fault. You just don't know how to work your hearts right yet. That's why there are dogs." - Jim Butcher, Zoo Day
bubbles76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-15, 05:23 PM  
FitBoop
VF Supporter

Interesting responses!

I think that for someone like me, who likes to make goals and plans, the best way to stay motivated is to set very short-term (i.e. daily) goals.

Also, people who are motivated to exercise focus on the most important reasons for exercising (such as health benefits, getting stronger, more flexible, stronger heart, better endurance, etc.). If the main reason for exercising is to look better (which is often my motivation for exercising like gangbusters before an event or a performance), then that won't provide consistency.

For someone who is goal-oriented, it can be difficult to be motivated all the time unless there is a goal in mind. I like the feeling of working towards a goal and being challenged.

I think it's helpful to have goals, but even more helpful to make a plan.
FitBoop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-15, 06:20 PM  
Nuggie's Auntie

[QUOTE=FitBoop;2577048
I think it's helpful to have goals, but even more helpful to make a plan.[/QUOTE]

Yes, that's a good distinction to make. I'd say I always have a plan, but rarely a goal!
Nuggie's Auntie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-15, 08:43 PM  
FirmDancer
VF Supporter

Yes! I do better with goals. I do have a goal of staying as active and fit as possible in my later years. But I recently took up kayaking and I love it so much! It is motivating me to increase my strength and fitness. Because, as I approach 60, I want to continue to be able to get my kayak on my car rooftop. And I really need to work on my upper body strength, so that if I roll over in my kayak, I'll be able to get myself back on it. Oh, and I need to practice swimming. So yes, having a goal (surviving a capsize!) is motivating me.
“Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming "Wow! What a Ride!” -- Hunter S. Thompson

Current Rotations:
JSmith: STRENGTHEN
ManFlowYoga: morning sessions & Strength Foundations
YogaGlo & MFML: easy, morning classes
FirmDancer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-15, 09:28 PM  
videofit

I don't need goals for fitness. I just do it. Maybe if I'm going on vacation I might walk more than usual to build my stamina since I know I will be doing a lot of walking.

Tags
benchmarks, fitness lifestyle, goals, incentives, motivation