Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > General Discussion

Old 06-20-12, 07:09 AM  
desderata

Red face What A PAIN IN THE BUTT

Seriously ... I'm asking for dh. He ran a very hilly 15k Saturday with no problems. Yesterday he said he felt a very sharp pain in his butt cheek, almost like someone was sticking a sharp needle in it. It's so intense his leg almost gives out, and then it goes away. He says he has no aches or pains until this sharp pain comes, lasts a few seconds, leaves, and he's fine again.

Has anyone ever experienced this? Any ideas on what it might be or how to treat it? I don't know for sure if it's related to the race but the timing is sure coincidental. TIA for any advice.
desderata is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-12, 07:15 AM  
Kathy G
VF Supporter

Could it be Piformis Syndrome:

http://www.spine-health.com/conditio...ormis-syndrome

HTH,
Kathy G
(1) 50k
(10) Marathons
(2) 20 milers
(3) 25k’s
(16) Half Marathons
(1) 20k
(6) 10 milers
(1) 15k
Kathy G is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-12, 12:25 PM  
desderata

Kathy, thanks for your reply -- it sounds as if the piriformis nerve is correct, but he doesn't have any pain shooting down his leg, or numbness or tingling.
Old 06-20-12, 12:54 PM  
EnglishIvy

Quote:
Originally Posted by desderata View Post
Kathy, thanks for your reply -- it sounds as if the piriformis nerve is correct, but he doesn't have any pain shooting down his leg, or numbness or tingling.
The sciatic nerve runs under the piriformis muscle and can be irritated by tightening/spasms in the muscle. The pain can be centered directly below the muscle and does not necessarily have to radiate into the leg. If his leg is giving away, that weakness can be caused by pain or the nerve compression. He might experiment with some gentle piriformis stretches. Prolonged sitting can put additional pressure on the region and cause flares. Regular, gentle stretching can be helpful if long hours of sitting are required at work etc. It's also important to be well hydrated as that can exacerbate muscle spasms (dehydration is more common after long runs, hot weather etc).

If that turns out to be the problem, he can consider foam rolling in the future to help stretch the muscle and work out any trigger points. Some folks do get relief by foam rolling the painful region but it's tricky in the acute pain phase as aggressive pressure (or even stretching) can actually cause a flare.

If his pain is more on the lateral portion of his butt cheek (near the hip), you might also consider the possibility of Tensor Fasciae Latae inflammation, which is common after hill running. HTH.
EnglishIvy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-12, 01:53 PM  
LindaL
VF Supporter

I get this frequently, especially if I run hills or do step too much. What works for me is:

1) very gentle foam rolling on the area, or laying on my Elaine Petrone balls
2) heating pad, alternating with ice - as much as possible
3) a muscle cream with arnica
4) Tylenol every 4 hours or as needed.

Also, doing the #4 stretch, double pigeon, or happy/regular cow really helps. It usually takes me about 4-5 days to work it out. Once it's no longer excruciating, traditional squats help me for some reason. Good luck! I know it's painful.

Disclosure: I was a Beachbody success story and part of a P90X infomercial.
LindaL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-12, 09:12 PM  
desderata

Kathy, English and Linda, thanks so much for the help. I have passed it on to dh and he's very grateful. He says the pain is localized in his right cheek, no radiating pain, but when it hits he just jumps. Made for a couple of interesting meetings at his work today. Thanks again.

Tags
butt, pain, piriformis