Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > General Discussion
Register Support VF Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 03-23-12, 07:44 AM  
Joni O
VF Supporter

I had a Dexa on Tuesday and will have the results next week. Three years ago I was overall -1.4. When the tech left the room, I looked at my chart. Last time it was my L and R neck that were -1.4. The rest were less than -1 (or is it more than -1?). Better than -1.4 anyway.

I actually wasn't looking at this DVD for that reason. It just looked interesring.

Looking forward to getting my results. I really need to think about 'why' I should exercise. I've given up lifting heavy to try to look 'buff.' After reading Alta's and warriorprincess's posts, I should lift heavy for bone density.

Glad I started this thread. It going in a very beneficial direction!
Joni O is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-12, 08:19 AM  
Pat58
VF Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joni O View Post
Glad I started this thread. It going in a very beneficial direction!
Yes, me too! Thanks for starting it. It really has me rethinking my whole strategy, I've got to get my butt going on weight training again and make it a priority. Good luck with your DEXA results; I'm having one in June.
Pat58 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-12, 05:47 PM  
Joni O
VF Supporter

Doc called today. I went from -1.4 to -1.5. They consider the result the same unless it's 3-4% different. Mine is only 2% different than 2 years ago.

He told me the result was excellent because my bone density hasn't gotten any worse - to keep doing what I'm doing (taking calcium and D-3). He said it's unrealistic to think it would get better, that I should just try to keep it stable.

Okay, I understand that it's not 'bad,' but I really saw that he's strictly a 'medical' doctor with no thoughts about telling me to do weight bearing exercise, no recommendation to visit any websites or read any books to get info on osteopenia, etc. I ordered Strong Women, Strong Bones from amazon today.

Pat - do you think that Ellen helps with bone density? We're bearing our own weight with all of those and she does yoga poses in a lot of her workouts. I would think that type of workout would help if yoga does?
Joni O is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-12, 02:45 PM  
Pat58
VF Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joni O View Post
Pat - do you think that Ellen helps with bone density? We're bearing our own weight with all of those and she does yoga poses in a lot of her workouts. I would think that type of workout would help if yoga does?
Joni, I'd like to think so. With all those plies and we are standing upright while moving, so it's weight bearing. I attended an osteoporosis class run by some doctors at the local hospital, and they told me even Pilates and passive Svaroopa yoga helps - because of the muscles being stretched across the bones. Ellen does a lot of sweeping yogic moves.
Pat58 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
bone loss, bone mass, bones, pilates for buff bones, proprioception