Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > General Discussion
Register Support VF Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-29-11, 02:47 PM  
melzie

Holy Moly, that upright bird dog at the chair looks effective. Now if only I could get away with that when the bosses are out and no clients walk and see it!

Would love more suggestions for any quick exercises, ones that can be done at work really, but home is a good idea too. I had thought of getting a thigh master for use under the desk, then I talked with DD about it, she said "wouldn't that look kind of funny sitting at your desk doing that?" She was right, lol!
melzie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-11, 04:14 PM  
KateTT
VF Supporter

Natural love - thanks for your post. I find myself stuck at my desk all the time and I hate it. I have put on so much weight since I started my current job about 5 years ago. I love my job but I sit almost all day.

I do get up at lunch and go home and try to do a little something besides just eat. But what I KNOW I really need to do is get up more often during the day. We have 2 floors so I could go up and down the steps a few times. I love all the other ideas too. I just HAVE to do something..I exercise every day, try to watch what I eat but I can't take off any weight to save my life. Maybe more moving during the day will help.

When your body screams, tell it to shut up! Body Pump

"Where I am today is where my mind put me. Where I'll be tomorrow is where my mind put me." - Billy Blanks

I'm a SHOCKING GRADUATE of STS!!!! Feb - May '09!
I did it again! I'm a SHOCKING GRADUATE of STS!!!! Feb - May 2018!
Beachbody On Demand 80 Day Obsession - Full Rotation June - September 2018
Third time's a charm! I'm a SHOCKING GRADUATE of STS!!!! July-Oct 2020!
KateTT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-11, 04:55 PM  
Terry

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sue B View Post
I wrote a blog post a couple of years ago about wishing that there was a handy gadget that reminds you at intervals of your choosing (like 20 or 30 minutes) to stand up and take an exercise break. As far as I know, there still isn't any. I guess the old kitchen timer will do the trick, but I still wish there was a watch or pedometer with this feature.
Check out the Gym Boss Interval Timer. You can set two intervals and each interval can be anywhere from a few seconds on up to an hour and a half or so. A beep or vibration tells you to switch to the other interval, and every round of intervals is counted on the "watch" face. Example: Set up for two intervals. Set the top of the interval for 2 minutes (you then go walk stairs for two minutes) and the bottom of the interval for 58 minutes (get back to your desk for the rest of the hour.) At the end of the day, your "watch" will show you how many rounds you did thus you'll know how many times you spent walking stairs (or whatever) for two minutes.

gymboss.com

Note: I looked EVERYWHERE retail for something like this but found nothing. The Gym Boss seems to really be THE boss.
Terry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-11, 05:12 PM  
2ndgen

My career as I knew it ended six months ago and I did gain weight and my knees got really bad (they are worse when I DON'T exercise), which I am now trying to relose but it is harder this time. Recently I started increasing my intentional workout time and/or doing a second intentional workout at night, plus mini walks whenever I can get them in. I am mostly working from home and so I just make more time to get up from the computer chair and take the dog for quick treks around the property and I shop more and make it a point to walk around the store faster and longer. I also do a lot of quick yoga and kickboxing sessions during the day (five minutes) and various other strategies.
Old 11-29-11, 06:23 PM  
windyh
VF Supporter

Pack a lunch and walk at lunch instead of going out to eat. If the weather isn't good, try walking up and down the stairs a few times.
windyh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-11, 07:24 PM  
Dobby
VF Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Terry View Post
Check out the Gym Boss Interval Timer. You can set two intervals and each interval can be anywhere from a few seconds on up to an hour and a half or so. A beep or vibration tells you to switch to the other interval, and every round of intervals is counted on the "watch" face. Example: Set up for two intervals. Set the top of the interval for 2 minutes (you then go walk stairs for two minutes) and the bottom of the interval for 58 minutes (get back to your desk for the rest of the hour.) At the end of the day, your "watch" will show you how many rounds you did thus you'll know how many times you spent walking stairs (or whatever) for two minutes.

gymboss.com

Note: I looked EVERYWHERE retail for something like this but found nothing. The Gym Boss seems to really be THE boss.
What a GREAT idea! That is going on the top of my Christmas list. Any one with an idea of whether I should get a wrist strap or an armband?

Pam
Dobby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-11, 08:04 PM  
buttons11

Thank YOU Terry

Quote:
I've considered the gymboss for boxing & kettlebell workouts
But this specific application never occured to me...
this sounds like just what I need to remind me that nearly an hour has passed w/o moving...let alone 2-3 hours at a time!!!
get so busy it's too easy to let the that much time slip by
I really appreciate you sharing this tip Terry...
this tip itself is like a xmas gift
off to find a gymboss to put on my wishlist!
buttons
buttons11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-11, 10:26 PM  
Sue B
VF Supporter

Quote:
Thanks! I didn't know the Gymboss could be set with intervals of 20 or 30 minutes. I'm definitely going to get one now!

Drop Two Sizes, Fit Body Blueprint, STRONG Eat. Lift. Thrive. and Revamp grad

DISCLOSURE: I have a professional relationship with a seller or producer of fitness videos or products. For details, please see my profile.
Sue B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-11, 04:27 AM  
Waterbabie
VF Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sue B View Post
I wrote a blog post a couple of years ago about wishing that there was a handy gadget that reminds you at intervals of your choosing (like 20 or 30 minutes) to stand up and take an exercise break. As far as I know, there still isn't any.
I used to wear a Bodybugg on my arm and you can set it to vibrate at intervals throughout the day. I used those as cues to get up from my desk and take a break. Using the Gymboss is a good (and cheaper) idea though.

Tags
neat, neat activity, new york times, sitting, sparks