Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > General Discussion
Register Support VF Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 07-16-11, 10:22 AM  
marymc

When I'm feeling overwhelmed I usually turn to hiking or group fitness. I like Zumba and spin. You can get lost in the movement and the music.

Sending good energy out to you.
marymc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-11, 10:24 AM  
MichelleRN

This is my first foray back to the Forum in 20 months (and THANX ladies, although I'm a BB coach,teach Turbokick,hotyoga,piyo and zumba, I HAD NO PEACE until I caved and ordered Cathe's new series!)....

My sweet husband was diagnosed with small cell lung cancer in fall 2009 and it took him down brutally in 6 months, leaving me and my teens bewildered and devastated.
As he declined (I work 3,12 hour shifts a week as a nurse too), the days just never ended as his needs became more intense,I was always running on adrenalin,always on the verge of hidden tears....

I found Beth Chamberlin's Kettlebells were somehow soothing, she and Anthony were so low key..also Jari's ripped and chisled was nice too...

After he died, my self soothing, old reflex from teenage years, became the gym, and I'd pound out 3 hours of classes (power yoga, which I teach,followed by turbokick and a bodypump style class) in a row...then I'd TEACH 90 minutes of Bikram at night)....think I was escaping life?! LOL! The endorphin rush kept me so I could at least move - somedays it was nearly impossible to get to the shower the weight of sorrow was so heavy,working out must have kept the serotonin a little higher and helped me survive.

So yes, exercise and eating right keeps you healthy and better able to cope during times of unspeakable pain....and the ONLY thing worse than having your life destroyed - and only you ladies will understand this, would be to have it destroyed and get fat in the process! (being flippant,but you all know what I mean!)

On an up note....unexpectedly,a year later, I met a man, my age,(50 now!) who never smoked, never did drugs, rarely drinks, and for kicks likes to exercise - our first "date" was a 20 mile bike ride and cooking stir fry (my teenage son,rolled his eyes, "Wow Mom, how romantic!).....and after nearly a year,we're to be married in Sept....and he supported my caving to Cathe.....my kind of guy!

Love you all, and when life kicks you in the stomach....don't worry , it'll get worse! But then.......just when you've made peace with life's pain.....be open - life may hand you something wonderful again ok? So hang in there and know you have fellowship here on this forum!

Michelle

rnmichelle.blogspot.com
teambeachbody.com/MichelleFitness
Shakeology.com/MichelleFitness
MichelleRN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-11, 10:35 AM  
kat999

Michelle, your story made me tear up. Congratulations on finding love again with someone who sounds amazing and supportive.
Old 07-16-11, 10:50 AM  
FitBoop
VF Supporter

Hi Jen. I am sorry that you are going through such a difficult time. It's really hard to get the motivation or energy to work out when you are going through times like that. Since you are pregnant and under stress, I suggest that you speak to your doctor first before starting any exercise program, and get clearance and guidelines as to what exercise is right for you at this time (i.e. what is the maximum heart rate suggested for you, which exercises are contraindicated due to joint changes caused by pregnancy, etc..)

Sometimes the body and mind are so stressed that it seems impossible to start exercising. When that happens, I suggest going outdoors and getting some sunlight and fresh air, preferably somewhere scenic like at a park or near water. Just being surrounded by nature can help with energy and mood. Maybe you will be motivated to take a walk. It's taking the first step that is the hardest, but once you get started, you will keep going.

Hope you feel better soon!
FitBoop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-11, 10:52 AM  
Lucky Star
VF Supporter

Jen, I'm so sorry to hear how stressed you are. I agree with everything Ruth (topfitmama) wrote. Hang in there! (((Warm hugs)))

Michelle, that is an amazing story. You're so blessed to have that 2nd chance; congratulations!
Lucky Star is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-11, 10:53 AM  
cherimac

Jen~I'm so sorry you're going through this. (((HUGS))) When I have major stress sometimes I do skip workouts. But, I find a light, soothing workout is such a blessing during these times too. Hang in there, hon~life can be so hard.

Michelle~wow, what a story. I'm so, so sorry about your husband but am glad that you've found love again. Many blessings to you.
Old 07-16-11, 12:38 PM  
mandie123

Michelle-Your story touched me also
mandie123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-11, 02:02 PM  
tigger

Michelle,

Congrats on your happy ending!

Jen,

Sorry about what you're going through. When I get in those modes (every year in August when I 1st go back to work), I turn to Leslie for no-dread, easy workouts, 10MS workouts (for an "I can do anything for 10 mins" workout), or outdoor short walks (for sunlight fresh air really lifts my spirit workouts). I am SOOO busy when school 1st starts that my summer routine is cut back drastically, usually down to about 10-30 mins. of exercise a day, but something rather than nothing keeps me feeling a little better / more energetic. Plus, I'm always surprised by two things:

1) I don't really lose my fitness level, even though I do this for 4-6 weeks at the beginning of every school year.

2) I start to crave longer, more intense workouts and end up better able to handle stress. Then, when my schedule lightens up a bit, I can make a pretty easy transition back to my normal workout levels (hooray for muscle memory).

I know being pregnant makes exercising much more difficult, but if you find something that feels good, it might be really worth it to you. I exercised during my 3rd pregnancy only, and had the easiest delivery ever. Even the doctor commented about how he rarely sees such short and easy deliveries. I also had less pregnancy discomfort and slept better, etc.

Hope you feel better soon.
tigger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-11, 03:18 PM  
Jenmgo

Thank you everyone. I was able to workout fine and with enthusiasm up until a few days ago when I found out how life was going to change drastically for me and my toddler. I guess since the news is so new its still affecting me to the point where I dont want to do much of anything. I have been keeping up on the workouts - i did CLX and Turbo Fire today, even though I was tired during Turbo Fire but i pushed through it. I did S90 Tabata Inferno yesterday and finished it. I guess i will keep it up but i just feel like Im lacking energy and enthusiasm. I probably will keep at them since Im the sort of person who has to workout regularly and its usually the one thing besides my daughter that keeps me sane and its my me time. Sigh..i guess I was just wondering what other people do in situations that are unknown and life altering. Im just venting aloud . thank you for your support and for listening and for all the tips. Im sure with time everything will work out even if it doesnt feel that way presently.
Jenmgo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-11, 07:53 PM  
KateTT
VF Supporter

Hang in there Jen. I personally find my workout time to be a great way to blow off steam, forget about the stresses and do something good for myself. You have LOTS of support here at VF. I hope whatever is going on will pass quickly and that you can stay strong.

Michelle, that's a pretty amazing story too! I get super focused on other things when I am going thru tough times. Usually work and workouts. But thank goodness we have those releases. And thank goodness for kickboxing!

All you ladies are pretty wonderful. Always lots of support here!

When your body screams, tell it to shut up! Body Pump

"Where I am today is where my mind put me. Where I'll be tomorrow is where my mind put me." - Billy Blanks

I'm a SHOCKING GRADUATE of STS!!!! Feb - May '09!
I did it again! I'm a SHOCKING GRADUATE of STS!!!! Feb - May 2018!
Beachbody On Demand 80 Day Obsession - Full Rotation June - September 2018
Third time's a charm! I'm a SHOCKING GRADUATE of STS!!!! July-Oct 2020!
KateTT is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
depression, pregnancy, stress