Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > General Discussion
Register Support VF Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 04-13-10, 03:18 PM  
sophie kat

Sciatica caused by piriformis syndrome? Try these stretches!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tFtUg...eature=related

i know everybody's different, but i've done this series of stretches twice, once last night and just now, and both times it helped my sciatic pain immediately.

ETA: i've been to the chiropractor (7 visits) and he's been doing adjustments, muscle stimulation and decompression. it has brought me relief and i've been able to get back to my normal workouts with impact modifications. unfortunately, the pain came back yesterday and my next appointment isn't until next week so i decided to try this and it helped the pain.

I my VF friends!
sophie kat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-10, 11:25 PM  
Nebolisa

this is fabulous! thank you so much for sharing!
Nebolisa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-10, 06:36 AM  
dmhammy

Thank you so much. I did the stretches last night and RELIEF AT LAST! I did them this morning again and no more feeling like I'm sitting on a golf ball. Thanks so much for sharing,
Dawn

Yes I admit it, I'm addicted to fitness. I guess I need a 12 step program or maybe just 12 good steps to jog up and down on

2/260
dmhammy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-10, 06:37 AM  
Diana3271

It's funny that this was posted. I have't watched the whole video linked yet. This weekend I did a search online and I have been doing this. It has also helped me. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sFiLb6BJtG4

You can fight it, or do what you've got to do to get it done. The choice is yours. ~Diana

You have the rest of your life to get old. Stay young, as long as you can. ~Diana

10 Pound Slimdown Xtreme Graduate 02/12
Insanity Graduate - I actually survived!
LM Combat 02/13
21 Day Fix Survivor! 6/14

Diana
Diana3271 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-10, 06:52 AM  
MM-Om

Sophie Kat- This is a fantastic stretch. I found the same link a year ago and always go back to it when my periformis is acting up. It is amazing that some of these clips people post on youtube are so helpful.
Old 04-14-10, 10:44 AM  
sophie kat

you're welcome everyone!

dawn, i'm so glad you got some relief!

diana, thanks for posting the video that helped you. i will definitely try those stretches after my workout today. thank you.

I my VF friends!
Old 04-15-10, 10:42 PM  
Scorpio6

Thumbs up Thank You!

Sophie Kat, thanks so much for sharing this helpful video! It's wonderful!
Scorpio6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-10, 11:25 PM  
Taiga

I irritated my left piriformis by jumping (too soon) into some really heavy kettlebell swings last year. These stretches were helpful but I found that I had to keep repeating them fairly regularly until I finally just rolled the trigger points out of my piriformis. That solved the problem permanently. The knotted sensation he refers to is generally caused by trigger points/spasm. I used a toy bouncy ball to roll out the points (very tender!) and it took over a week but the flexibility in my hip improved substantially and has held since. Just thought I would mention it as another tool for the box.....
Old 04-16-10, 07:37 AM  
Juli

I showed these to my DH. He thinks I have an honorary medical degree now. Thanks so much!!

"Que Shiraz Shiraz"
Juli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-10, 02:58 PM  
sophie kat

Quote:
Originally Posted by Diana3271 View Post
It's funny that this was posted. I have't watched the whole video linked yet. This weekend I did a search online and I have been doing this. It has also helped me. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sFiLb6BJtG4
diana, thanks again for posting this video. i've been doing this stretch after all my kickboxing workouts and it really has released my piriformis muscles.

taiga, can you tell me more about the ball you use and how you do it? i tried rolling the tender points on a blue racquetball a while back, and i made it worse.

I my VF friends!

Tags
piriformis, piriformis syndrome, sciatica, stretch