Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > General Discussion
Register Support VF Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 06-08-08, 02:48 PM  
Rachel*Jacobs

Unhappy Need help with hip pain

Lately I have a problem with a pain in my left hip. It hurts on the part where you sit, feels like something like a cramp or something. Anyone ever had that problem?
I was wondering if there is a stretch that would help that area? is there any stretches on the Classical stretches workouts for that area? if so which DVD's ?

Thank You for your help!
Rachel*Jacobs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-08, 04:12 PM  
toaster
Exchange Moderator

Hi Rachel,

I'm no expert, but I'm wondering if this might be your SI joint? Barbara Benagh has an SI joint practice on her Yoga for Stress Relief DVD. Another DVD that I think would be excellent for you is Gary Kraftsow's Viniyoga Therapy for Lower Back, Hips, and Sacrum. It's a little dry, but very effective, and it's specifically designed to gently recovery from pain and injury. Finally, I do think there are stretches from the Classical Stretch DVDs that would benefit you as well. I have her Express DVD as well as the Full Body one, and each of these contain some stretches that address the hip area. (I don't have the TV series, but I believe those are more specifically broken down by body part.)

Hope this helps, and good luck!

Follow me @YogiBethC

YouTube|Instagram|Facebook
And yes, I am Reviewer Dr. Beth on Amazon.
toaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-08, 10:24 PM  
bfit

I'm no expert either but you might want to look into whether you have sciatica which is an inflammation of a nerve in your lower back that can cause pain in the rear end and thigh. My father-in-law had severe leg pain which was traced to this. I've heard that other people just have a dull ache in their rear end from it.
bfit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-08, 06:54 AM  
Randi
VF Supporter

When I was having hip pain I used Free The Hips with Kali Ray and it helped a lot. It's in the style of yin yoga - you do a small number of poses and hold them for a long time. It's very slow, and relaxing if you just let yourself drift, but if you're antsy it can seem to go on forever. However, it worked And you'll learn the stretches that feel good and work for you so you can do them without the dvd if you want, or you can skip some of the ones that don't do anything for you.
Old 06-09-08, 07:33 AM  
horsemom2

Egoscue's Pain Free Supine Inguinal/Groin stretch helps me more than anything when my hip/lower back and even knee twinges.

There are descriptions of the stretch on VF under a couple of threads

Barb S

here is a quick description:

Supine Groin Stretch
Lie on back, one leg resting on a chair, knee bent at 90 degree angle, other leg extended straight out on floor. Align legs with hips and shoulders. Prop the outer foot of the extended leg so it is upright and cannot roll to one side.

The thigh test: contract thigh of the extended leg. As your muscles release, you will feel the strongest part of the contraction move up your leg, from knee to top of thigh (done! now do the other side). For me it took 45 minutes the first time, but it's much faster after that.
horsemom2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-08, 07:42 AM  
TracyQ

I was diagnosed with ischial tendinitis last year on my right side. It did finally go away but it took a long time. Now I've got it on the left side. It's a real pain in the a$$ (pun intended). I do a lot of kayaking and it is very painful. I've gone to physical therapy & trigger point therapy for it. I honestly haven't found a stretch that gets right in that area because the pain is so deep. But the one that comes closest is where you lie on your back with knees bent feet on the floor. Then cross the your left ankle over your right knee, then gently pull your right leg towards your chest. Sometimes I do this stretch with my feet on the wall and too. You could also try standing and placing a tennis ball between the wall and your glute and doing some trigger point stuff but that never seems to work for me.

After working out or kayaking I sit on an ice pack and it seems to help. If I don't have to sit I always stand because sitting can be too painful.

Good luck. HTH

Cellulite is not a character defect.
TracyQ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-08, 08:24 AM  
cmarsh4

I have piriformis syndrome wich is a deep muscle in your butt that contracts around the SI joint. The glute stretch described above is the best stretch for that. Foam rolling though painful does help some too.

Chris
cmarsh4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-08, 12:23 PM  
Rachel*Jacobs

Thank you Horsemom2 for recomending the Pain Free groin stretch. I ordered the book Pain Free. I got it this week and followed the stretches for hips and the pain was 90% better the very first night! I have been following it now for a few days & the pain is almost gone. I felt a tinge of pain when I woke up this morning but that was all. The pain didn't bother me during the night at all like before.
Thank You!
Rachel*Jacobs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-08, 03:08 PM  
horsemom2

Yippee

Each body is different so each body has to find its own path to what works.
So glad it worked for you!

Barb S
who never worries about chronic lower back or hip pain anymore
horsemom2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-08, 04:10 PM  
daisysunshine

i've had this issue since like... may/june. i was doing Leslie Sansone of all things, i stepped wrong and then there was this excruiating pain in my hip all the way down my calf. it feels like pins and needles, and dull ache all the time (more when i excerise).

stupid hip!

...right now you're saying, no i can't do this. you should know by now i don't train that way - Dasha Libin

offering the two tracey mallet dance workouts, pm me.
daisysunshine is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
hip pain, piriformis