Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > General Discussion

Old 10-06-02, 12:37 PM  
sweetandsassy

Crunch's Pick Your Spot Pilates

Hey! I've never done Pilates before, and I'm wondering if this tape is a good one to start out with. Best Buy has the DVD for $9.99 with free shipping too, so the price really isn't the big deal, I just want to know if this workout is good for beginners! Also, what are the benefits from Pilates? I hope some of you nice VF'ers can help me out!

~Sheila~
sweetandsassy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-02, 03:04 PM  
WWWendy
Community Manager

IMO, there are better choices

Hi Sheila,

Just a quick answer to your main question--IMO Pick Your Spot Pilates is best for people who have some experience with Pilates and want a tape that gives them some short Pilates workouts to add on at the end of another workout. There is almost no instruction at all.

I would recommend Pilates for Dummies instead, which is also inexpensive and widely available. I think it will give you much better instruction in the basics, and I think it's a great tape for people who don't really know what Pilates is and whether or not they will like it.

DISCLOSURE: I have a professional relationship with a seller or producer of fitness videos or products. For details, please see my profile.
WWWendy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-02, 03:44 PM  
Loretta S.
VF Supporter

I love Pilates for Dummies. It's the first Pilates tape I ever did where I felt like I "got" it. Any of the other ones I had tried before that one I just felt like I was going through the motions. The instruction is terrific. I got my Pilates for Dummies DVD at Best Buy.
Old 10-06-02, 03:47 PM  
Roxanna425

I third the recommendation!

I have this DVD. It's great. I hate Pilates and I like this tape. I have been doing it for a month now and my abs look a lot better. The instructor is really good and not too boring or annoying.

"Everything is futile but you must do it anyway, because effort is full victory." --Gandhi
Roxanna425 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-02, 04:22 PM  
Colleen
VF Supporter

Yet another recommendation for Pilates for Dummies!

This is a good Pilates workout, with good instruction. Get the Pilates for Dummies DVD instead of the VHS version. The DVD has a "bonus" intermediate workout that is the same length as the basic workout. What a bargain!

Benefits of Pilates: Pilates is great for core strength (abs and back), and will improve your posture. Pilates may also improve your flexibility. If you prefer to do floor leg exercises without weights, you could use Pilates to work your lower body.

If I had a nickel for every time I've had to prove that exercise can work without pain, I'd be a very rich woman.
- Pilates teacher Brooke Siler
Colleen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-02, 05:08 PM  
sweetandsassy

Thanks everyone!

Thanks! I guess tomorrow I'll be @ Best Buy, getting Pilates for Dummies..

~Sheila~
sweetandsassy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-02, 01:40 AM  
Lenore Levine
VF Supporter

Another recommendation.

I really like Pilates for Dummies, and certainly agree with the recommendations for it. I also like Kathy Smith's Pilates Workout, which is now available on DVD. It's very similar to Pilates for Dummies, in that it also has the same careful explanations and form pointers.
Lenore Levine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-02, 06:03 AM  
kathym
VF Supporter

Kathy Smith for me also

Kathy Smith's workout is not as complete as the pilates for dummies workout in that it does not do all the standard moves in the dummies video. That said, she gave some pointers that really got me moving in the right direction. Her explanation of knitting your ribs and how tighten your abs REALLY helped. I am sure I will be getting the lower body video when available for just these kinds of pointers.

Tags
pick your spot pilates, pilates for dummies