Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > General Discussion
Register Support VF Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-08-06, 02:36 PM  
Vintage VFer
VF Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kathryn
Is it just me, or do these workout seem a bit easier than her others, but Cathe seems to find them just as tough?
Quote:
Originally Posted by mtnmom
The choreography is rather repetitive, from what I've seen. I guess I'll be doing these on days I don't want to think that much.
Quote:
Originally Posted by mj476
...the cardio is a little boring...
Quote:
Originally Posted by DEEDEE
I also find myself going, 'Why is Cathe only using 5lbs?' during most of the toning segments where she uses so little weight.
Quote:
Originally Posted by frostyjan
I thought LIC seemed really loooooooong and basic.
Hey, I might be interested in these after all!

Quote:
Originally Posted by ssgilby
Just once I'd like to see a post by someone who says, "Cathe bugs me."
Where have you been? We have had some flamin' hot Cathe Wars!

POSTURE CHECK!
Vintage VFer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-06, 02:39 PM  
DawnP
VF Supporter

Hated Drill Max - long, repetitive, boring, blah music

Well I just finished Drill Max and I have to say this is the first Cathe workout I've ever disliked. Hated it. The drills were long & repetitive & boring. The strength training wasn't challenging, overworked the shoulders (from every angle) and was quite frankly boring. The music was BLAH. Cathe's cueing was barely up to par.

I thought this workout had promise, since the drills were mostly athletic and not undoable. Sort of like Mindy Mylrea turned down to normal speed... But this workout just is not a keeper.

When the workout breakdowns were announced I thought "I'll make my own upper body premix out of Drill Max, Body Max & LIC" and now I'm thinking "why bother?"

Did anyone else wince while watching Cathe plyo-hop-jump-run-lunge her knees all to heck during the drills? Yikes! I'm pretty sure she's headed towards a full knee replacement in her future, if no two.

I couldn't believe when she did 'fast feet' onto the step for something like 256 counts. I mean, I can see doing 8 or 16, but fast-feeting your way around the step for a million counts is unbelievably boring and painful.

Sigh.

If you want a workout that has basic cardio with some functional fitness strength moves, you're better off getting Patrick Goudeau's 'Body Design' or for more intermediate-intensity version 'Pick Your Level' with Michelle Dozois.

I did like LIC but it was very basic stepping and some of the most unimaginative choreography I've ever seen Cathe put out. I didn't think it would be possible to make basic choreography frustrating, but she managed to do it - she didn't cue at all for the most part. At least I liked the strength training, although the segments were very short. I'd compare the strength segments to FIRMs in intensity.

Hoping I like BodyMax 2... and I'm saving Cardio Fusion for last so I'll recognize all the steps since Cathe's cueing has been amiss so far.
Old 11-08-06, 02:42 PM  
ssgilby

Quote:
Originally Posted by KickDancer
OK, I'll satisfy your demand: Cathe bugs me!

Am I supposed to say why, or is that enough?
Thank you! Since I certainly don't want to start a Cathe-bashing war, you don't have to tell me why. LOL!

I can't believe there have been Cathe wars?!?! I guess the non-Cathe lovers keep their fingers off the keyboards most of the time!

Here's to keeping the peace!!!!
Old 11-08-06, 02:45 PM  
mtnmom

But between us friends.... doesn't Cathe's voice sound lower and huskier on this series? It has that "smoker's voice" sound to it. I know she doesn't smoke and I'm not trying to start any rumors! Maybe she had been out cheering one of her kids on at his soccer match or something. I like her demeanor overall, but I did notice her voice sounds different.
Old 11-08-06, 02:56 PM  
summer breeze
VF Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by mtnmom
But between us friends.... doesn't Cathe's voice sound lower and huskier on this series? It has that "smoker's voice" sound to it. I know she doesn't smoke and I'm not trying to start any rumors! Maybe she had been out cheering one of her kids on at his soccer match or something. I like her demeanor overall, but I did notice her voice sounds different.

OMG, yes! I thought it was just me so I didn't post anything about it. I definitely heard her voice as lower and deeper. How unusual.
summer breeze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-06, 02:57 PM  
hedygs
VF Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by DawnP
Well I just finished Drill Max and I have to say this is the first Cathe workout I've ever disliked. Hated it. The drills were long & repetitive & boring. The strength training wasn't challenging, overworked the shoulders (from every angle) and was quite frankly boring. The music was BLAH. Cathe's cueing was barely up to par.

I thought this workout had promise, since the drills were mostly athletic and not undoable. Sort of like Mindy Mylrea turned down to normal speed... But this workout just is not a keeper.

Did anyone else wince while watching Cathe plyo-hop-jump-run-lunge her knees all to heck during the drills? Yikes! I'm pretty sure she's headed towards a full knee replacement in her future, if no two.

I couldn't believe when she did 'fast feet' onto the step for something like 256 counts. I mean, I can see doing 8 or 16, but fast-feeting your way around the step for a million counts is unbelievably boring and painful.

I did like LIC but it was very basic stepping and some of the most unimaginative choreography I've ever seen Cathe put out. I didn't think it would be possible to make basic choreography frustrating, but she managed to do it - she didn't cue at all for the most part. At least I liked the strength training, although the segments were very short. I'd compare the strength segments to FIRMs in intensity.

Hoping I like BodyMax 2... and I'm saving Cardio Fusion for last so I'll recognize all the steps since Cathe's cueing has been amiss so far.
Dawn I could have written this post word for word. I tried to do Drill Max on two different occasions but ejected it each time. I wish these workouts were functioning properly so I could put them on the swap pronto. Sheesh! I guess I have to wait for that.

Of course I am suffering with a knee injury so just about every move on these workouts bother my knees. I was so excited about getting an athletic type drill workout but it really falls short for me. Yawn, boring. Oh ya, and why are these workouts done on an 8" step. I thought Cathe had dropped to 6" except for Low Max. Why the change? Are these considered intermediate so that is why she bumped the step height up?

I did like BodyMax2 so I hope you feel the same way.
hedygs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-06, 03:14 PM  
mtnmom

Quote:
Originally Posted by DawnP
This must be on the 4th drill - where my DVD jumps forward 4 minutes, right after the first plyo jack. So I missed this, but sounds like a blessing!
Old 11-08-06, 03:37 PM  
Jane P.
VF Supporter

I agree that the choreography in LIC was somewhat boring, but I will keep the workout because it fills a niche in my collection. I need a low impact workout that actually has cardio intervals in it, and this one does. It is very long, I had to cut short some of the weights and the abs. I'll do those tonight.

When I want a fun intermediate Cathe I will continue to do Step, Jump & Pump with parts modified to low impact.
Old 11-08-06, 03:38 PM  
Carol_is_fit

I'm very grateful for this thread and the honest reviews on it. I'm also very grateful so many people feel comfortable here expressing lukewarm sentiments and even displeasure with these workouts. I don't come here to read glowing praise of everything and anything an instructor or a company does, even when they're dead wrong. I come to read honest reviews and comments from consumers.

I need a balance of reviews since I didn't pre-order. I'm still in waiting mode here anyway because of the problems with the DVD's. Thank you to all of you for your comments!

Carol
Carol_is_fit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-06, 04:30 PM  
Kathryn
VF Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by frostyjan
No one mentioned it specifically, but what was with the walking around the step while you are shaking your hands?????

I found that rather bizarre as well. (I was thinking Cathe should have wiped her hands on her 'sash' instead!).

2010 season speed-walking 5K PR: 35:47
2011 season race-walking 5K PR: 34:42
Kathryn is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
sash series