Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > General Discussion
Register Support VF Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-08-06, 10:14 AM  
Kathryn
VF Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by ErinF
The CTX music, now THAT made me want to run screaming for the hills.
I actually prefered the music of the CTX/Intensity Series era! BUT the music in CTX was repeated far too much (within the CTX workouts, but also in Circuit Max and Cardio Kicks, which were filmed at the same time). I got so tired of hearing that same stuff over and over when I was doing my--short!--CTX rotation.

2010 season speed-walking 5K PR: 35:47
2011 season race-walking 5K PR: 34:42
Kathryn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-06, 10:20 AM  
Kathryn
VF Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by ldy_solana
I have to agree the music was kind of loud,but i believe there was on option for lower music.
There is an option for music LOUDER or no music whatsoever (kind of interesting to listen to the workouts that way, to hear how heavy Cathe is breathing!). I think the music as-is is plenty loud enough, and at times a bit harshly loud. I don't see why they even needed to add the 'music louder' option in this case (I've toggled back and forth between the 'normal' and 'louder' mix, and don't hear that much of a difference).

I just wish instructors would stick with non-vocal music, which allows for a perfect blend of voice and music without a singer's voice competing with that of the instructor. The sound mix on CTX and the Intensities was just perfect, IMO (and they were mostly instrumental as well).

Old 11-08-06, 10:24 AM  
Kathryn
VF Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elisa B.
I have no issues with breaking up strength workouts, though, and I suspect that is the only way I'll ever use B&G.
I've just previewed this one so far, and I immediately decided to do "butts" on one day, and "guts" on another day. Or maybe even do the standing butt work one day, and the floor butt work and abs on another day.

Old 11-08-06, 10:32 AM  
Tami S.
VF Supporter

You're definitely not alone! I'm not real thrilled with this series either and I own every single workout Cathe has made.

I've done Drill Max, Body Max 2 (sans lower body), and LIC and was disappointed and bored. It could be partially my mood too, but the bottom line is that these workouts feel like a rehash all of Cathe's old moves ad museum (and around the world). I was hoping for something that would really keep me interested and challenged; instead, I came away feeling bored. While the intensity level is fine for me, the synthesized music and constant repetition of the same moves made me longing for the end of each workout. Perhaps the premixes will be better for me.
Tami S. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-06, 10:38 AM  
mtnmom

I knew when I ordered these that they were too long for my taste. I usually like a workout to last 50-65 minutes. And I'm not crazy about circuits. But I ordered them when the blog was launched and it was clear that special attention (and even bonus footage) was being paid to the premixes. So now I can do cardio one day and weights the next.

The choreography is rather repetitive, from what I've seen. I guess I'll be doing these on days I don't want to think that much. And I agree that the music is a bit too loud in some spots. These thoughts are from my thorough preview of LIC last night and brief previews of the others. So, I'll be using these workouts a bit differently than the way I've used Cathe workouts in the past. We'll see how that goes.

When they make the replacement disks, do you think they'll address the music/voice mix of the middle portion of LIC? I read that there was a goof in a premix of B&G and time listing on another premix. Also that they were going to send "several of you that have had some unique sound and other problems a check disc just to make sure we have corrected every issue." In previewing, I had to turn the music off, it was grating on my nerves. I may not notice it as much when I'm doing the workout, but who knows?

Don't feel bad for now being thrilled with these workouts. We all need to hear the good and the bad. That's what this forum is for!
Old 11-08-06, 11:21 AM  
mj476

Quote:
Originally Posted by mtnmom
The choreography is rather repetitive, from what I've seen. I guess I'll be doing these on days I don't want to think that much.
I agree. I like complex choreography so for me the cardio is a little boring but I am happy with the strength work. So far I've done Body Max 2 and Low Impact Circuit. I love Body Max 2. That's my favorite music out of the whole series. I know the workouts are long and I only did Body Max 2 in its entirety because I had the day off but the workout flew for me. I really like the upper body work on the ball. I didn't really care for the cardio in Low Impact Circuit (but I did like the bonus cardio). I also liked the strength work, especially working with the band. I've done the ab work now from Body Max 2, Low Impact Circuit and the bonus abs on the ball from Butts & Guts and I like them all (Body Max is my favorite). The ab workouts were different from her other stuff so it was a nice change. I have previewed Butts & Guts and Drill Max. I think I will like Butts & Guts and the ab work within the workout looks good as well. I'm glad she only included leg presses as an add-on. I'm really getting tired of all those leg presses. I'm also tired of incessant squats and lunges but she did change them up a bit. I liked the balancing squats in LIC. I'm not much of a functional fitness person so I don't know if I'll like Drill Max but I will be doing that one tomorrow. Again, I like the strength work in this one better than the cardio. I also like all the different ways Cathe has done pushups. I like the bombdiver pushups and all the different pushups on the ball. I guess Cathe really went ball-crazy with these workouts but I find I actually like working on the ball. I think I will like Cardio Fusion as well. I am still glad I have all of these workouts and I think Cathe did a great job with all the premixes.
mj476 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-06, 11:22 AM  
Debbie555

Quote:
Is it just me, or do these workout seem a bit easier than her others, but Cathe seems to find them just as tough?
I did notice this. In the bonus cardio section of LIC towards the end, Cathe looks like she has really had it. I've only seen that look on her once before during Boot Camp.
Debbie555 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-06, 11:29 AM  
LynnO
VF Supporter

Ineteresting philosophy Phyllis, but with so many exercise options, if I don't sort of like it the first time, out it goes. I go through stages and sometimes trade for things I traded away, but I have way too many dvds and vhs and I seldom use most of them. I've been on a mp3 workout kick.

Quote:
Originally Posted by PhyllisG
I also think it is important to give things a chance. Sometimes I don't like a workout only to find weeks or months down the road I feel differently.
LynnO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-06, 11:32 AM  
DRD0

Quote:
Originally Posted by Debbie555
I did notice this. In the bonus cardio section of LIC towards the end, Cathe looks like she has really had it. I've only seen that look on her once before during Boot Camp.
I remember on the blog when they filmed these they mentioned that the heat in the room was close to 100 degrees by the time they finished filming. Working out in that kind of heat would finish anyone.
DRD0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-06, 11:46 AM  
roz

I was kind of so so about LIC. The music was nothing special. I for one, preferred her CTX period music-- I liked the music from Leaner Legs, Circuit Max, and especially Cardio Kicks. I found it motivating with a good beat.
The choreography from LIC was kind of bland.
I do like Cardio Fusion.
Drill Max and Butts and Guts remain unopened. I don't have much interest in a 12 hour lower body workout (OK, I exaggerate.) Drill Max looks boring and slightly dorky to me, from what I have seen.
Body Max 2 seems like the best of the bunch-- perhaps that is why I liked the all cardio workout from Cardio Fusion-- parts of that workout made up the bulk of it.
All in all, I don't think this is Cathe's best series. I definitely prefer the workouts that I have from the Intensity Series, the Body Blast Series, and even the Hardcore series (granted, I only have Low Max). I don't even like it as much as her more beginner workouts. I love Low Impact Step and the Basic Step/Baody Fusion dvds.
roz is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
sash series