Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > General Discussion
Register Support VF Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-01-06, 06:34 AM  
Carol_is_fit

I like that people are saying parts of Drill Max are modifiable. The high impact had me on the fence about this one. I may end up with this workout as well!

Carol
Carol_is_fit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-06, 07:30 AM  
acey

Lic

I devirginized the first of my Cathes last night. I agree that LIC is high-intermediate. The step choreography seemed less complex than its Hardcore counterpart (maybe because there are not as many reverse basics). But it was brisk and fresh, and also, each segment was rather short. The first of the three circuits had about 8 minutes of cardio, the second and third had about 6.

New move variations include around-the-world-with leg lifts and knee lifts (you ultimately do leg/knee/leg/knee on one leg, then transition to the next corner of the world, I believe it's a "blast"); around-the-world with a hesitation beat, and around-the-world with a lunge back and touch your shoe (this is also one of the blasts).

Has Cathe been traveling around the world lately?

It's the first workout I've done where Cathe blasts didn't scare me!

The back does get the easiest treatment, but with only 6-8 minutes for each weight segment, I wasn't expecting a hardcore full-body workout anyway. It's what it is, a circuit workout with quick treatments for each body part. Although those pushups do make for a lot of work in a short time, that is true!

The bicep work is done while holding the resistance band as well as the barbell (I used handweights instead, no problem). You also do slow pulsing lunges with knee up and/or kick, combined with bicep curls or hammer curls.

Next time, for the bent over rows I'll use my traditional heavy weights instead of the band.

There are also side lunges into knee up with military press, first in sets of three, then fast. You also do a long series of one-legged squats with free leg forward, side and back.

The setting resembles a modernistic cabin in a forest. You see sunlight filtering through tall trees out the window. Of course, the sunlight never moves.

I didn't notice any glitch and I'm crossing my fingers that I lucked out with the rest of the DVDS as well.

Good music -- I recognized Girls Just Wanna Have Fun, Somebody's Watching Me and other 80s classics.

I like the sash too! Reminds me of prom night...oh wait, in that case now I don't like it

Abs include double crunches, crunch with oblique twists (you reach your arms to one side, then the other), isometric holds where you lift your head and your feet while your body is in a straight line, and of course the good ol' plank. You also lie on your side and lift your legs for oblique work. Cathe says to sit on your soft part ("You know what soft part I'm talking about -- but we're working on firming that up!")

On to Drill Max, crossing my fingers!
Old 11-01-06, 07:33 AM  
DRD0

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carol_is_fit
Oh you misunderstand me! I like it too but there was a thread here last week or the week before where people were talking about it, and I was in a silly mood ... hence my "naming" the series. It seemed so appropriate at the time.

Carol
I did not take offense, thought it was funny! I aslo thought it could be called the "freeze" series, whoops.

Drill Max is very high impact. I will have to do it first to see how I can modify it, and also see how well the rebounder adapts. I am always looking for things to do on the rebounder, and some of the drills look like they will work.
I finished watching LIC and did the abs, and stretch this morning. I really liked the looks of it. The abs were not overly hard, but hit in a nice,oh I got worked kind of way. The stretch was a simple stretch. Vocals from the music are a little loud on this one, at times almost covering Cathe. I have not tried the variations yet.
DRD0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-06, 08:25 AM  
Deanna
VF Supporter

I did Drill Max in it's entirety this morning. I've only got a moment before I head out the door to work...

I LOVED it!!!

Ok, so I've got this hand/tendon issue....I modified all of the pushups and subbed either bench presses, flyes, or tri kickbacks. Ditto with all of the planks, and the squat thrust climbers.

My least favorite circuit was #6. Um, I think I can imagine skipping it in the future .

I thought the warm-up was too long. I think I'll do maybe half of it in the future.

Was it just me, or did it seem that she had a LOT of shoulder work in this workout??

Cathe & crew looked amazing, as always .

I'm unsure on the music. I felt like it was that nondescript stuff I barely take note of. Not really annoying, but not really something that gets my mind/heart happy either.

Firewalkers. Oh my.

Oh, and nary a glitch in sight on my DVD.

Well, I'm outta here....that or skip my cereal...and I'm NOT skipping my cereal .
Old 11-01-06, 08:32 AM  
Marie1120
VF Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carol_is_fit
The Sash Series???? ...

I like it! Or the Delayed Series but Sash Series is just cute!
2009 - 312/300

"Those who remove mountains begin by carrying away small stones."
- Chinese Proverb

"Getting up in the morning is a case of mind over mattress." Ziggy
Marie1120 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-06, 08:49 AM  
mspina

The sash pants: http://www.activasports.com/act/products/NKL542/

They seem to be out of stock of most sizes, but those on the far ends could be happy!

I'm bummed - I would have snapped these up in a second. I think they are adorable.

Random Stuff:
  • Spinervals Team Member Triathlon Coach
  • Avid CrossFitter
  • Former Triathlon Fanatic
  • 2008 Boston Marathon Finisher
  • Cast member in IronGirl StrEndurance workout (released 12/07)

mspina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-06, 08:52 AM  
Sandi M
VF Supporter

I did Drill Max this morning

This morning I did my first of the "sash" series, Drill Max.

Yes, I thought it was shoulder heavy. I thought I would die during those lat raises/walking lunges. Was there any backwork at all? I don't remember anything except for the retractions with the band.

The warmup was long, but I didn't get too upset about it, because I was sort of dreading the first drill .

For some reason, I thought the first cardio drill was more intense than any of the others, and when Cathe mentioned that they get harder, I REALLY started to worry. Something about reaching for the floor wears me out!

I do NOT like jumping OFF of the step, and did not do it. The firewalkers did not bother me too much, and I'm thinking I need to step wider. I did not feel too much fire.

I had a very hard time with some of the exercises on the ball, especially the pushups. My ball is always moving around, and those on TV seem so stable. I wonder if my ball is too full and hard, or if I'm just weak...

I don't see myself using the premixes on this workout, because there isn't enough cardio to make a full workout, and the upper body work is not thorough. Maybe the lower body stuff would be something to try alone...

I definitely enjoyed this workout because it went by fast and was NOT boring. It reminded me of Bootcamp, without the core work. I'm looking forward to trying LIC tomorrow morning.

Sandi

edited to say: Forgot to mention that I was waiting for a freeze during the 4th cardio drill, but all I saw was a little glitch that made me think the freeze was coming. I think I'm OK with this one.
Sandi M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-06, 11:46 AM  
Debbie555

Quote:
Has Cathe been traveling around the world lately?
LOL...she also does knees around the world and jumpropes around the world in Body Max 2.
Debbie555 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-06, 11:56 AM  
Carol_is_fit

Quote:
Originally Posted by DRD0
I did not take offense, thought it was funny! I aslo thought it could be called the "freeze" series, whoops.
Me ... reading this and now I have coffee all over my keyboard!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by DRD0
Drill Max is very high impact. I will have to do it first to see how I can modify it, and also see how well the rebounder adapts.
Please do let us know! That will be the deciding factor for me. Thanks!

Carol
Old 11-01-06, 11:58 AM  
Carol_is_fit

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marie1120
I like it! Or the Delayed Series but Sash Series is just cute!

Glad to hear you liked Drill Max as well and that's it modifiable in parts!!

Carol
:0

Tags
sash series