Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > General Discussion
Register Support VF Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 01-04-06, 10:02 AM  
antbuko

I lost 9 lbs. over a period of 9 months just from aerobic exercise alone. Then I got a little older, pigged out a little and gained them back. I dieted and lost 13 lbs and regained it over the course of a year and honestly, I haven't specifically tried to lose it again. It's a lot easier for me to be my current weight and for me it just isn't worth the extra effort to keep those 9-13 lbs. off.
Old 01-04-06, 10:04 AM  
DD1

Quote:
What I had to do that was almost not worth it
Amen. I do always try to remind myself as much as I want the 10 pounds off, when I was 10 pounds lighter, I still hated my thighs/hips etc. I'm pretty happy with the way I look and I've got to remember that. Yes, I'm not the most "cut" person in a bikini, not by a long shot! But I don't know that I'm willing to make all the sacrifices to get there

Dee
DD1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-06, 10:07 AM  
Leela
VF Supporter

I lost 10 pounds which brought me to a point of contentment with my form

Quote:
Originally Posted by bzar
most people think that 10# or less is not monumental, but to me they are! so those of you who have succeeded in this, please share your detailed stories!
I would have liked more muscle definition (i.e. back, thighs, etc), but I figured in my late 30s, 2 kids, not a lot of time to workout - the body I had achieved was just fine by me.

I did it mostly by changing how much and what I ate (joined WW), so obviously I can't talk about that... but the workouts to me were icing on the cake. I workout pretty hard at times, not so hard at other times - and I feel like the working out keeps my body strong, flexible, fit.... the eating less/better choices helped me lose the fat.

I am currently trying to get to that place again. I'd say I have 5 pounds to go. I'm very small boned/framed, so 5 pounds makes a difference in how clothes fit and how I look.

I suppose I could have even dropped another 5-10 when I was at that point of contentment (without going to a scary overly skinny place) but at this stage in my life a little insulation here and there doesn't really bother me.
Leela is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-06, 01:12 PM  
bzar
Exchange Moderator

i should have shared that i did get down to my pre-wedding weight, which amounted to a 16 pound loss (took me a little over a year, with a big WHOOSH in the 8th month). i had one more baby, lost all of the pregnancy weight. then after baby was weaned, i gained 7 pounds over the last few years.

it was a combination of both eating and exercise and i found the right combo.

at the time that everything clicked, i had been doing the Firm 90-day rotation (original) and had increased the poundage.

everyone - keep the stories coming.

question for Sleek Essentials Guru Beth Toaster - tell me again how long each day you worked out (#min for cardio, #min for toning, # min for yoga) and # days worked out a week - i know you told me already, but i forgot....sorry.

Miyagi: Wax on, right hand. Wax off, left hand. Wax on, wax off. Breathe in through nose, out the mouth. Wax on, wax off. Don't forget to breathe, very important.
[walks away, still making circular motions with hands] ~ Pat Morita, The Karate Kid, 1984

disclosure: in the years 2002-2004 i had a professional relationship with a distributor of fitness videos; see profile.
bzar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-06, 01:23 PM  
toaster
Exchange Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by bzar
question for Sleek Essentials Guru Beth Toaster - tell me again how long each day you worked out (#min for cardio, #min for toning, # min for yoga) and # days worked out a week - i know you told me already, but i forgot....sorry.
Well, the program itself was 50 minutes per day, 6 days per week, and I alternated between strength focus (3 days strength, 2 days cardio, 1 day stretch) and cardio focus (3 days cardio, 2 days strength, 1 day stretch). However, I did extra stuff, mostly 15-25 minutes extra cardio after the weight workouts and extra Pilates (2-3 short sessions per week) and yoga (3-4 moderate sessions per week). I also frequently worked out on the off days, although it was usually pretty light cardio or yoga. I'm basically following this same type of schedule now--I know it's a little confusing, so feel free to PM or email me if you have additional questions!

Follow me @YogiBethC

YouTube|Instagram|Facebook
And yes, I am Reviewer Dr. Beth on Amazon.
toaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-06, 02:42 PM  
hannahsmom

Well I know exactly what you mean about those 10 pounds. For right now I have been doing mainly yoga/pilates and step but will be adding CC5 soon too. I am curious to see how this routine goes and how long it will take me too loose the last few pounds. In the past, I have been doing more strength training and less cardio along with short yoga/pilates in the morning. Now I plan to combine cardio/strength evenly and will see how combining both cardio/strength evenly will work. I will let you know!
hannahsmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-06, 02:45 PM  
FitBoop
VF Supporter

Here's my success story (not):

Tried for 5 years to lose a few pounds. Lost a few, gained them back, lost them again, gained them back.

November 2005: Got the flu. Lost all the weight in one week.

I guess I'm not much of a success story . I certainly don't want anyone to lose the weight the way I did!
FitBoop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-06, 02:53 PM  
laurajhawk

I lost 15 or 20 pounds 2+ years ago (diet, exercise, nasty evil pills...) but it's been creeping back up lately and I want to lose 5 to 10 again. I actually graphed my weight and noted when I'd changed my exercise regimen, and from that I decided that's *not* the problem, so I'm sticking with my mostly-yoga. I'm going to start paying attention to the food again, in a sane way (like right now I'm having rice, veggies & yogurt for lunch instead of grilled cheese & fries. Can I say veggies & fries on vff? we'll find out.)
laurajhawk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-06, 02:58 PM  
videofit

One thing I learned from the bodybuilders was that doing too much cardio actually slows your metabolism down like too little food does. Your body senses it as stress and hangs onto fat. Eat slightly more and exercise a bit less and see what happens. That's why I can put up with feeling hungry on my cardio days because I know I can have a treat the next day. Keeps me motivated.
videofit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-06, 03:24 PM  
mtnmom

Well, I lost 10 pounds in 3 weeks last month. It was due to a breakup with my boyfriend, so like Abbe, I don't recommend that method either! I really only had 5 pounds to lose. So now my dilemma is how to keep cardio in my rotation, because I don't want to lose the endurance; yet not burn more calories than I really need to!

Tags
fitday.com, last 10, last 10 pounds, last 5 pounds