Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > General Discussion

Old 11-12-05, 05:17 AM  
fit1

Your fave fitness calendars and journals? Do you like Streaming Colors?

Just for inspiration, I would like to purchase a calendar and/or journal for the next year.

What are your faves? Or if you make your own, how do you make your calendar/journal more inspiring/colorful?

If you have some free calendars to share, please post! Thanks!!

These are what I saw at Amazon:

Streaming Colors Calendar
BodyMinder Journal
DietMinder Journal
Ultimate Workout Log (by Suzanne Schlosberg of Shape)
fit1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-05, 07:36 AM  
stephanie_932

I love my Streaming Colors Calendar. I got it last year when the new year was approaching.........and.......believe it or not, every month is very colorful. I ordered my 2006 Streaming Colors in October so I'm already set for 2006.

I keep it here on my computer desk and after I exercise I immediately head for this calendar. It's funny because even DH (who uses this computer) will comment on my workouts.

I love my Streaming Colors!!!!
Old 11-12-05, 09:20 AM  
pipsqueak3211

Ultimate Workout Log for the details. There is lots of space to write about every aspect of fitness from yoga to nutrition to cardio to weight training to mental health. It's great for keeping track of the details and figuring out trends/patterns. I also the daily tidbits of fitness/nutrition advice and trivia. Great buy!

Streaming colors is nice but it's not good for keeping track of the details. It's easy to track what kinds of workouts your doing say strength or cardio but impossible to write how many reps/sets etc. you did. When doing Cathe or even a basic strength tape like a Kathy Smith, I find it extremely helpful to keep track of those details so the next time I do that workout, I know what weights and equipment I'll need. There's also not as much space to write in streaming colors. I still use a modified version of streaming colors for motivation but I rely on the Ultimate Workout Log for keeping track of the details. HTH! Elisabeth
pipsqueak3211 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-05, 11:10 AM  
Redeye

I made a calendar in MSWord; I put one month per page.

I have my workouts color coded: AWT, Weights, Cardio, and Callanetics/Yoga/Pilates.

I make comments regarding why I miss a workout and comments about my life in general, and I have a record of every workout I've done since 1999.

This works great for me.
Old 11-12-05, 11:44 AM  
tkoran

This site has a free downloadable Fitness Calendar and stickers

http://h71036.www7.hp.com/hho/cache/...0-225-121.aspx
tkoran is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-05, 01:40 PM  
scrapngail

Quote:
Originally Posted by Redeye
I make comments regarding why I miss a workout and comments about my life in general
Making comments about why you miss a workout is a great idea!

I imagine it would help me identify the lame excuses that I sometimes make.
Old 11-12-05, 02:48 PM  
ivorygorgon

I love steaming colors. I can remember weights and reps, so I don't really want to write down that much info. The colors help me track what kinds of workouts I do, so I can keep from getting into a rut. It also keeps me on track for working out a certain number of days per week. I do write in why I missed a workout, such as "rest" or "sick" I use colors to track sugar free days, upper body, lower body, circuit, interval, step, gym- cardio, and chip free day. Very fun and effective.
ivorygorgon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-05, 01:29 AM  
Cola

streaming colors

hiya!

i use the streaming colors log and like it very much! im able to track 11 different daily goals, all at once, in the space allotted to each day on the
calendar, which really impresses me. because of the colours (or lack of colour), i can see right away where i have been succeeding and where i have been slacking. it does motivate me to work at my program so that i can lay down some colour at the end of the day which actually feels like a reward.

however, i also keep a companion date book where i write in exactly what workouts ive done each day, or a reason why i didnt workout that day. also i note the dates that i do a particular workout in a spreadsheet, along with what weights i used (if applicable). i do not keep track of reps/sets.

so i guess you could say that i use a variety of journals to keep track of everything... ive not been able to find one journal that does it all, but this method of record-keeping works very well for me.

as for other journals, the food & exercise diary from calorieking.com was handy (if you count cals/fat/etc, that is), the dietminder (or was it the bodyminder, im not sure, and get the two mixed up) was fine... the method jumpstart journal was even better... but the streaming colors journal is the best one that ive used yet.

i ordered from the streaming colors website and jennifer threw in a free calendar for the rest of 2005 so that i could get started right away. also, she gave me the US postage rate even though im in canada. great communication and fast, excellent service. i also bought the highlighters that go with the journal and they work well.

:*carolyn.
Cola is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-05, 12:15 PM  
athompson10
VF Supporter

I'm another one who uses multiple journals.

I love my Streaming Colors calendar for motivation - at a glance I can see if I've been working out or dogging it. It's also easy to go back and pick out the last time I did, say, Muscle Max or Intense Moves - I look for the color corresponding to total-body weights work or interval cardio.

For tracking weights and reps, I have separate spreadsheets for each of my weights workouts where I record what weight was used for each exercise (for a Cathe strength workout) or the range of weights I used on an aerobic-weight training workout (5, 10 and 12# dumbbells, 15# barbell). I've worked out a comments system too - a circled T means a particular exercise was tough at the marked weight, and I'll use an arrow pointing upward or downward to indicate if I need to adjust my weights the next time I do that workout.

I also record my eating at Fitday.com and occasionally put in my workouts there, though that's more my source for day-to-day nutrition information.

I used to like the Ultimate Workout Log but didn't like how most of the space per day was for weights work and there was no space for diet. On Friday I flipped through a copy in Barnes & Noble and REALLY love the new format.

Allison
Old 11-13-05, 12:36 PM  
pipsqueak3211

Quote:
Originally Posted by athompson10

I used to like the Ultimate Workout Log but didn't like how most of the space per day was for weights work and there was no space for diet. On Friday I flipped through a copy in Barnes & Noble and REALLY love the new format.

Allison
I have the new version and it has room for some diet information but it's not a food diary. This works better for me because I become obsessive when I record every little morsel of food. It also has lots of room for pilates/yoga and a wrap up section. Having one page per day makes a big difference. There is also one full page for week for wrap up.
pipsqueak3211 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
calendar, fitday.com, journals, streaming colors, workout log