Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > General Discussion
Register Support VF Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-25-05, 09:05 PM  
suegy3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lucysql
I posted about this on another thread - not a video, but an excellent upper-body/core exercise. The book I found it in called it a "Chinese pushup"

Basically you start out in a toe (guy) pushup position, but with your arms bent and your forearms on the floor, palms on the floor. So your weight is on your toes, and on your forearms.

You hold that position for 60 seconds.
It's challenging and works "core muscles" you don't even realize you have.
Isn't this the same as a regular plank? Or are the arms different and I'm confused? I love planks and since my wrists usually hurt, I love bent arm plank alternatives.

Thanks!
Sue
suegy3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-05, 12:44 AM  
Jane P.
VF Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lucysql
I posted about this on another thread - not a video, but an excellent upper-body/core exercise. The book I found it in called it a "Chinese pushup"

Basically you start out in a toe (guy) pushup position, but with your arms bent and your forearms on the floor, palms on the floor. So your weight is on your toes, and on your forearms.

You hold that position for 60 seconds. Then you put one arm along your side and balance on your other arm and toes for 30 seconds. Then you switch arms. Then you put both forearms back on the floor, and first raise one leg off the floor, balancing on both forearms and one leg, then switch legs. Then return to the starting position for 60 seconds.

It's challenging and works "core muscles" you don't even realize you have.
Charlene Prickett does exactly this in her Show of Strength video. Unfortunately, it's not on dvd yet. I hope she puts this one on dvd.
Old 10-26-05, 08:41 AM  
Lucysql
VF Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by suegy3
Isn't this the same as a regular plank? Or are the arms different and I'm confused? I love planks and since my wrists usually hurt, I love bent arm plank alternatives.

Thanks!
Sue
The starting position is like a full plank with bent arms (vs a plank with straight arms). You can think of the remaining positions as plank variations with one arm or leg off the floor at all times.

HTH.

Lucysql
Lucysql is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-05, 08:50 AM  
SurferGirl

Quote:
Originally Posted by Karen Walsh
JB Berns has a new DVD called Dynametrics which is all isometric toning exercises. There are seven sections that are each about 30 minutes: Legs, Chest, Shoulder, Back, Arms, Abs, and Stretch.
Has anyone tried this workout yet? Looks interesting.
SurferGirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-05, 09:18 AM  
Kathryn
VF Supporter

Quote:
JB Berns has a new DVD called Dynametrics which is all isometric toning exercises. There are seven sections that are each about 30 minutes: Legs, Chest, Shoulder, Back, Arms, Abs, and Stretch.
Are you sure it's not just a repackaged version of the "Freedom Exercise" workouts (there were 7 of those as well, combining isometrics and isotonics)?

2010 season speed-walking 5K PR: 35:47
2011 season race-walking 5K PR: 34:42
Kathryn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-05, 09:19 AM  
Messe

Quote:
This isn't new workouts--it's the Freedom series with a new title. But it's a good set of workouts.

You can’t use up creativity. The more you use, the more you have. — Maya Angelou
Messe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-05, 09:23 AM  
SurferGirl

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kathryn
Are you sure it's not just a repackaged version of the "Freedom Exercise" workouts (there were 7 of those as well, combining isometrics and isotonics)?

I was thinking this too.

I just ordered it off of Amazon and my confirmation in my email read: "JB Berns Freedom Restoration Compliation DVD"

So, figuring I ordered the wrong one, I clicked back and nope, it was the Dynametric Method workout I ordered. I'd better be good. I almost NEVER order videos that are over $25 or so, unless it's got a few DVD's (Yoga Booty Ballet, Billy's Bootcamp, Winsor sets, etc.)
Old 10-26-05, 01:43 PM  
Karen Beckwith
VF Supporter

Sorry everyone! I didn't realize it was just the same workouts with a different title. I rented it from Netflix and was pretty disappointed to find that it was JB Berns (I'm not a big fan) but I know some people like him and it does seem like an interesting concept.....

"Comfort zones are very often expanded by discomfort." - Mimi Solaire
Karen Beckwith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-05, 01:55 PM  
horsemom2

Quote:
Originally Posted by SurferGirl
I was thinking this too.

I just ordered it off of Amazon and my confirmation in my email read: "JB Berns Freedom Restoration Compliation DVD"

So, figuring I ordered the wrong one, I clicked back and nope, it was the Dynametric Method workout I ordered. I'd better be good. I almost NEVER order videos that are over $25 or so, unless it's got a few DVD's (Yoga Booty Ballet, Billy's Bootcamp, Winsor sets, etc.)

There originally were 2 different systems.
Actually, I am very fond of the Restoration series dvd that works the whole joint moreso than the Freedom Exercise series that is more about muscular contractions. I believe these were available cheaper awhile ago but cannot remember when or where

Barb S
who isn't a JB fan but uses the Restoration series as needed which is more often than I would like
horsemom2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-05, 02:03 PM  
SurferGirl

Ok-I double checked. This is what was in my email from Amazon when I ordered Dynametrics.

1 of JB Berns Freedom Exercise System Compilation [DVD] (2005)

So, Dynametrics is the same video.

This is the one I wanted. I hope I like it.

Tags
dynametrics, figuretics, forearm, of steel, standing pilates, unique, winsor upper body