Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > General Discussion

Old 10-25-05, 02:02 PM  
SurferGirl

upper body isometric/non-traditional toning exercises?

I just got back to doing Lotte BerK/The Bar Method/Callan etc.

Though, they do some upper body exercises, is there a video out there that is only upper body or does a lot of upper body toning?

OR a video that does a lot of high rep/low weight exercises?

I have an early 90's videos that is all non-stop, high reps, with very light weights (1-2lbs) that I enjoy. But, I was seeing if there was anything more updated that I can try.

Thanks~
SurferGirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-05, 02:21 PM  
bzar
Exchange Moderator

you might want to ask your question in the Peach check-in (they do LBM, Callan, TBM, etc). most people doing Lotte berk/callanetics usually do yoga for upper body toning.

you could also look into mari winsor's upper body pilates workout - i don't have it. The Method has some light toning with a 4# toning bar with standing pilates moves. i have those and they are decent - Target Specifics and All in One Workout both have 15-20 min upper body segments w/light weights.

Miyagi: Wax on, right hand. Wax off, left hand. Wax on, wax off. Breathe in through nose, out the mouth. Wax on, wax off. Don't forget to breathe, very important.
[walks away, still making circular motions with hands] ~ Pat Morita, The Karate Kid, 1984

disclosure: in the years 2002-2004 i had a professional relationship with a distributor of fitness videos; see profile.
bzar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-05, 03:00 PM  
SurferGirl

Thanks! I have all the videos you suggested, that I forgot about

Time to start going through videos I haven't used in a while.
Old 10-25-05, 03:44 PM  
Jane P.
VF Supporter

Holding front, side and back plank positions are not only great isometric holds for your core, they are also great for the arms. I try to hold front and back positions for at least one minute and the side ones for 30 seconds.

Another great isometric hold is to cross your arms with your hands on your shoulders Genie style resting a weighted barbell across the top of your arms. Cathe often holds a barbell this way when she does plie squats. I don't do the plies, I just do the isometric hold with the barbell resting on my arms rather than up against the collar bone. It's great for the shoulders and upper arms.

I like the Winsor Upper Body workout, but I do not consider it an isometric workout.
Old 10-25-05, 03:49 PM  
bzar
Exchange Moderator

jane - love that genie idea.

i saw this one move in tamilee's vhs oldie - quick toning upper body of steel:

stand or sit
put the palms of your hands together like in prayer, tips pointing to ceiling
raise arms up and try to bring the elbows together, and pulse
for added intensity, lift arms up and down while trying to touch the 2 elbows

Miyagi: Wax on, right hand. Wax off, left hand. Wax on, wax off. Breathe in through nose, out the mouth. Wax on, wax off. Don't forget to breathe, very important.
[walks away, still making circular motions with hands] ~ Pat Morita, The Karate Kid, 1984

disclosure: in the years 2002-2004 i had a professional relationship with a distributor of fitness videos; see profile.
bzar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-05, 03:56 PM  
SurferGirl

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jane P.

I like the Winsor Upper Body workout, but I do not consider it an isometric workout.
Me either, but that's the type of workout I was suggesting. Basically, I'm looking for the non-traditional type upper body work outs. I don't think I'm making myself clear. -Really anything that doesn't include heavy weights, I should say. I like the sleek look more than the muscular look for MY arms. I'm only 4'11" so I'm always looking to "elongate" my muscles, instead of making them more stocky.

I keep going back to traditional workouts(I don't know why). But I really find, TBM, LB, Callan, pilates, etc. give me the type of shape I'm looking for.

Now to keep from forgetting that...
Old 10-25-05, 04:10 PM  
cmhazlett

Aside from Winsor Upper Body Sculpting and Method Target Specifics Arms other choices include:

-first half of Method Precision Sculpting with Jennifer Kries
-Breakthru Pilates Sculpt with Tracy York and Michelle Doizois
-Clare Dunphy's Body Bar Balance Line & Strength, Body Bar Ripple, and Body Bar Pilates Strength

Those are the ones I can think of off the top of my head...

Claire
cmhazlett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-05, 05:10 PM  
horsemom2

a couple more alternative approaches

The Classical Stretch tv series had several segments that worked the upper body and similar segments are probably on her retail dvds.

JB Bern's Freedom Exercise had upper body isometrics (Back, Chest, Arms).

The creator of Heavy Hands Dr. Schwartz has an interesting panaerobics concept online
http://www.panaerobics.com/iso/

Barb S
who actually prefers isometics and bands to free weights
horsemom2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-05, 05:12 PM  
Lucysql
VF Supporter

I posted about this on another thread - not a video, but an excellent upper-body/core exercise. The book I found it in called it a "Chinese pushup"

Basically you start out in a toe (guy) pushup position, but with your arms bent and your forearms on the floor, palms on the floor. So your weight is on your toes, and on your forearms.

You hold that position for 60 seconds. Then you put one arm along your side and balance on your other arm and toes for 30 seconds. Then you switch arms. Then you put both forearms back on the floor, and first raise one leg off the floor, balancing on both forearms and one leg, then switch legs. Then return to the starting position for 60 seconds.

It's challenging and works "core muscles" you don't even realize you have.
Lucysql is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-05, 07:20 PM  
Karen Beckwith
VF Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by horsemom2

JB Bern's Freedom Exercise had upper body isometrics (Back, Chest, Arms).
JB Berns has a new DVD called Dynametrics which is all isometric toning exercises. There are seven sections that are each about 30 minutes: Legs, Chest, Shoulder, Back, Arms, Abs, and Stretch.

"Comfort zones are very often expanded by discomfort." - Mimi Solaire
Karen Beckwith is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
dynametrics, figuretics, forearm, of steel, standing pilates, unique, winsor upper body