Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > General Discussion

Old 05-11-05, 05:10 AM  
dsr5

How do pyrmaid workouts work and why are they good?

I have recently become intrigued with Joyce Vedral and was wondering why she does pyramid workouts (even Cathe for that matter). I know about the change up and down in weights, but I am wondering how it works on your body and if it is effective.

Thanks in advance

Donna
dsr5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-05, 05:18 AM  
Helen

I've been wondering myself what the 'pyramid' bit meant. So...by your question, am I right thinking that they do some sets with lower weights (faster, more reps) and then target the same muscle group with higher weights (slower, less reps)?
• Resistance training is critical. 💯

¹ Walk first
² Weights next
³ Cardio for fun
⁴ Add stretch & balance.
Helen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-05, 06:01 AM  
Videophile

Quote:
Originally Posted by Helen
I've been wondering myself what the 'pyramid' bit meant. So...by your question, am I right thinking that they do some sets with lower weights (faster, more reps) and then target the same muscle group with higher weights (slower, less reps)?
You've got the right idea. You can pyramid up, pyramid down or do a full pyramid.

When you pyramid up, you start with a light weight and do a certain number of reps. Then with a slightly heavier weight you do fewer reps of the same movement and finally still fewer reps with the heaviest weight you normally lift. When you pyramid down you start with the heavier weight with fewer reps and work your way down. You can do both--going up and then down for a full pyramid.

Pyramids add variety and intensity to your workout. The main thing tho' is that you wind up working both fast twitch and slow twitch muscle fibers all at once so you wind up working for endurance and strength at the same time instead of doing strength one day and endurance another.

Aside from that, sometimes "pyramiding" is just about modifying. When I'm doing a particular vid, for instance, and they do 3 sets of something and I'm pooping out, instead of skipping the last set, I just pyramid down and finish the last set with a lighter weight so that I can keep going and benefit from finishing the entire workout.

Nancy
Videophile is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
fast twitch, slow twitch