Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > General Discussion

Old 05-09-05, 01:44 PM  
nancyzl

"5 factor fitness"book

Has anyone seen this or read it ? Written by Harley Pasternak,
a personal trainer who has worked with Halle Berry & others.
According to the Amazon reviews it is a simple exercise and
eating plan. The exercise part is 25 minutes a day.
Nancy
nancyzl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-05, 05:41 PM  
Lissa

I checked it out from the library and I didn't get much from it. I didn't read all of it, but what I didn't read, I skimmed through. I really don't think someone can workout for 25 minutes a day and look like Halle Berry. I have a hard time doing workouts from books, so I never tried it.

You might try to see if your library has it.

Hopefully someone else can give their opinion of the book.

~Lissa
Lissa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-05, 07:15 PM  
Videophile

Quote:
Originally Posted by nancyzl
Has anyone seen this or read it ? Written by Harley Pasternak
I just got it from my library, but haven't started reading it yet. He was on TV the other day and has good credentials. Since he's a nutritionist as well as a pro trainer, I think his program will be strict, but he does allow one day of free eating. He says his clients get more results if they work out 25 minutes instead of an hour because it's more efficient (the way he trains them). As I understand from the show, he has them doing circuit training rather than a solid hour of weight lifting or cardio. So it's 25 minutes of a little bit of everything 5 days a week. I'll know more once I read the book.

Nancy
Videophile is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-05, 09:13 PM  
nancyzl

I also checked my library and picked it up. The article that mentions
him quoted him as saying "Halle had a near-ideal body... we just had
to make her look strong", so it doesn't seem like he's trying to get
credit for her genetics I'll see what he says .
nancyzl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-05, 09:47 PM  
princess76

Halle Berry is diabetic, which means she has to stay very thin. My dad is diabetic and has to do 60 minutes of cardio every day to flush the fats out of his blood. He also has to eat unprocessed food and limit grains. He is now very skinny. I would not go by this exercise program hoping to look like Halle Berry! I think her diabetes/limited eating choices play a huge role in the way she looks.

Sarah
princess76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-05, 08:32 AM  
Videophile

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lissa
I skimmed through. I really don't think someone can workout for 25 minutes a day and look like Halle Berry. I have a hard time doing workouts from books, so I never tried it.
He claims to get you in better shape than you are the same way he got Halle Berry in better shape than she was--not to make you look like her.

The 25 minutes are very intense. He had Ms. Berry running up the stairs for 5 minutes which may not sound like much, but I walk up my 5 flights of stairs at a leisurely pace and I'm wiped out. I don't think I can run up even one flight. Keep in mind tho' that "intensity" varies according to what shape you're in so my 5 flights is intense for me.

The 5 minutes of cardio are followed by 10 minutes of working two body parts with light weights and high reps (at first), 5 minutes of core work and 5 more minutes of cardio. You can increase the last cardio session if you want, but he says not to increase it for more than 30 minutes.

As you progress, the weight goes up and reps go down and the cardio goes from low to high intensity.

He references various studies that show intensity is more important than duration, which seems to be in contrast to other studies that show the opposite, if I recall correctly. It also goes against what a lot of us are willing (or able) to do.

He includes different charts to follow depending on your level of fitness and is very specific on which (weight) exercises to do and which body parts to work on a given day for the 5 week period, but you can pick which cardio you want to do.

The diet portion is not drastic (unless you consider giving up sugar drastic like I do). 5 small meals a day, lean meats, no sugar and lots of (low G.I.) fruits and veggies.) I only skimmed the diet part, but it looks reasonable. There are a few recipes, none taking longer than 5 minutes to prepare.

I just got this book yesterday and it is small enough (176 pages) and comprehensive enough to get through very quickly. It is very easy to understand and follow. I might try it if the exercises were on video. Otherwise I doubt I will, but am intrigued none the less. I tried Bill Phillips "Body for Life" and didn't stick with that either. Apparently I need a vid to follow.

I will put it on the book list.

Nancy
Videophile is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-05, 09:28 AM  
Lissa

Quote:
Originally Posted by Videophile
He claims to get you in better shape than you are the same way he got Halle Berry in better shape than she was--not to make you look like her.
I really wasn't trying to imply that. These celebrity personal trainers come out with these books with a list of all their fit, gorgeous Hollywood clients. I believe there is just a hint of false advertisement in there. The reason, it sells. Don't you think that the average person going into the bookstore might look at that book and think, if by buying that book and doing his program that they too can look like a Hollywood celebrity. I know the people around here are alot more educated and know it is not that easy or that you can never look like anyone else, unless you have an identical twin or are cloned. Even Tamilee Webb admitted that alot has to do with genetics. If you have a flat butt, you are not going to get her Buns of Steel butt even by doing her workouts. For reference, see this thread: http://forum.videofitness.com/showth...t=tamilee+webb
You can improve greatly on what you were born with, but I've been around here long enough and have exercised enough to know that what works for one person doesn't work for another one. The secret is finding what works for you.

Here's another link on the Five Factor Fitness book: http://forum.videofitness.com/showth...factor+fitness

My main thing was the question of its effectiveness. Would the program produce results for someone trying to lose weight? Would the program be good for your cardiovascular health? Would a person be able to maintain or increase their strength gains?

Also, I have a flight of stairs in my home, which I go up and down all the time, I think it depends on what your body becomes acclimated to.

~Lissa
Lissa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-10, 03:27 PM  
jazzy75

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lissa View Post

My main thing was the question of its effectiveness. Would the program produce results for someone trying to lose weight? Would the program be good for your cardiovascular health? Would a person be able to maintain or increase their strength gains?

~Lissa
So Lissa - did you do the program? Anything to report? I have the book home from the library now
Old 08-15-10, 09:15 PM  
kd4boston

Quote:
Originally Posted by Videophile View Post
I just got this book yesterday and it is small enough (176 pages) and comprehensive enough to get through very quickly. It is very easy to understand and follow. I might try it if the exercises were on video. Otherwise I doubt I will, but am intrigued none the less. I tried Bill Phillips "Body for Life" and didn't stick with that either. Apparently I need a vid to follow.

I will put it on the book list.

Nancy
Not to try and enable anyone but he has done some dvds. I watched a couple of them on ExerciseTV a while back and from what I saw they followed the routine he had in his book.

Here is a link for it at QVC i think you can get it other places too
http://www.qvc.com/qic/qvcapp.aspx/v...n.cm_scid.zone
kd4boston is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-10, 09:37 PM  
fagiles

I purchased the dvds from QVC a few months ago but with so many new dvds, I still haven't tried them.
fagiles is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
diabetes, halle berry, harley pasternak