Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > General Discussion

Old 01-08-05, 11:46 AM  
Rachel*Jacobs

Joyce Vedral has a lot of workouts that can be broken up into 30 min. You can do upper one day & lower the next. Defination is a good one or her new Just Joyce workouts plus she has a lot of others when you can break them up & do upper one day then Lower & abs the next.
Rachel*Jacobs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-05, 12:33 PM  
FitBoop
VF Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joanna
I get good results from a pyramid-style split routine. I am not doign that right now because I am focusing on cardio a little more. Abbe, I only get cardio in three times a week for about 45 minutes a session, you are saying that is not enough? I would not have time to get in my toning if I did more than that.
Hi Joanna. No, I'm not saying that's not enough for you. I was just saying that I believe 5 days is what is necessary for me to lose the bodyfat.
FitBoop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-05, 12:57 PM  
pipsqueak3211

Quote:
Originally Posted by Abbe G
Hi Kimberly! Congratulations on the baby! Also, congratulations on staying active during your pregnancy.

My opinion is to do a split routine, where you work one or two body parts per day of strength, plus some cardio each day. That's what I've been doing, and that's what Cathe said she did after one of her pregnancies, to get back in shape---she designed Cross Training Express (abbreviated CTX) after that manner of getting into shape. Of all the Cathe series, I have used CTX the most. They are short, but you do get both cardio and strength in each, and I believe that will help you get the results you are seeking.

Personally, I feel that in order to reduce bodyfat, cardio is necessary about 5 days per week (I've been doing 30-50 minutes per day, of either treadmill, spinning, recumbent bike, stairclimbing, step aerobics, kickboxing or floor aerobics). To shape the body and build strength and definition, I feel that doing one or two body parts per day allows you to focus in on those muscle groups, plus it is time efficient, and allows you to put all your energy into your strength work because it's only one or two body parts (as opposed to trying to do total body strength or all upper or lower body at the same time). You might also throw in one total body endurance workout per week, or a circuit training workout (like Cathe's High Step Circuit, or Gin Miller's Simply Circuit, or a Firm workout).

Good luck, Kimberly!
Abbe,
Great post and I agree completely! I've also used similar rotations primarily because I have a hard time putting on much muscle. For this kind of rotation, I've used Cathe's Pyramids and Slow and Heavy. I think any of Cathe's strength workouts would work well for this. I used different instructors/types of cardio so I wouldn't burn out on Cathe. I do think this would be a good time efficient rotation for someone with a new baby. I would add that I think one interval workout a week like IMAX is very helpful for reducing body fat. Elisabeth
pipsqueak3211 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-05, 03:34 AM  
Debbie M

Lol

Quote:
Originally Posted by roz
Huh? "Tone" is not a real word?
Now that would come as a surprise to my anatomy professor!
Tone is indeed a real word but not in the sense that people use it. You cannot cause an adaption to muscle called "toning", whereby the muscle gets smaller or tighter from training. A muscle always gets larger from strength training.

Tone is indeed an anatomical word but not a physiological response. It is a noun not a verb.

The state of activity or tension of a muscle beyond that related to its physical properties, that is, its active resistance to stretch. In skeletal muscle, tonus is dependent upon efferent innervation. (Stedman, 25th ed)
Definition from: Unified Medical Language System (MeSH) at the National Library of Medicine

A state of partial contraction that is characteristic of normal muscle, is maintained at least in part by a continuous bombardment of motor impulses originating reflexly, and serves to maintain body posture.
Definition from: MedlinePlus at the National Library of Medicine

Definition: [n] normal tonicity of the muscles Source: hyperdictionary.com

Muscle tone refers to the amount of tension or resistance to movement in a muscle. Muscle tone is what enables us to keep our bodies in certain position or posture. Changes in muscle tone is what enables us to move. For example, to bend your arm to brush your teeth, you must shorten (increase the tone of) the biceps muscles on the front of your arm at the same time you are lengthening (reducing the tone of) the triceps muscles on the back of your arm. To complete a movement smoothly, the tone in all muscle groups involved must be balanced. The brain must send messages to each muscle group to actively change its resistance. Source: cerebral-palsy.org

So, it is a real word. It is just not a word that has anything to do with muscles getting shaplier, smaller, harder, denser, etc.

It is misused in the fitness industry.

Deb
Debbie M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-05, 09:05 AM  
lfcjasp
Exchange Moderator

Good post, Debbie...

but the problem with the English language and also its greatest strength as a living language is the way words change or are invented and so easily integrated into general usage:

From my dictionary: "v.t. -toned, toning . To give certain tone to;"
It's also listed as an adverb...

However, I still have to agree with Debbie...I can understand the physiology and science behind her arguments. If you properly work and feed any muscle, it will not only become stronger, but bigger. My plea is when will we women stop fearing bigger muscles???? For most of us, they just won't get that big!!!! Look at a ballet dancer, a real one. They have the most awesome leg muscles you'll see on any woman and they aren't that big!!! Ballerinas have to be quite small (so their partners can lift them!), but man do they have to be strong!

Okay, rant over. Back to my oatmeal
Old 01-09-05, 09:25 AM  
Debbie M

Quote:
Originally Posted by lfcjasp
From my dictionary: "v.t. -toned, toning . To give certain tone to;"
It's also listed as an adverb...
Oh yes, there are many other uses of tone and toning in the English lanuage as in colour and music. You can "tone the look down by adding a nuetral" (verb). You can say "I did not like the tone in her voice". The list goes on!

The definitions I gave were for "muscle tone" from physiology references. In this case, there was only the noun, tone or tonus as it is also called.

Deb
Old 01-09-05, 09:35 AM  
Peggy T
VF Supporter

I think heavy weight training whips your muscles into shape faster than anything. But, I also believe in balance, so I throw endurance in there also. I have gotten GREAT results in hips and abs with kickboxing...

Here is my recommendation:

Day 1: 30 minutes upper body, heavy, 30 minutes kickboxing
Day 2: 30 minutes lower body, heavy, 30 minutes step aerobics
Day 3: 15 minutes pilates for abs and either rest or yoga
Day 4: 1 hour kickboxing
Day 5: 1 hour full body endurance weight training
Day 6: 15 minutes pilates for abs, 30 minutes hi/lo
Day 7: 1 hour cardio of choice

Day 3 you could do a light upper body workout if you want to hit upper body 3x per week.

If there are no dogs in Heaven, then when I die I want to go where they went.
-Will Rogers
Peggy T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-05, 04:45 PM  
Carol_is_fit

Debbie M I have printed out your posts from here - hope you don't mind! THANK YOU!! I've been telling people (in my "real" life) for years they are misusing the word "tone", but the media has put it into our heads that the word as used today in certain fitness circles actually has a physiological meaning.

I just want you to know how much I appreciate yours and Liz N's posts!! I'm glad both of you are here!!

By the way, I saw on another thread that you also like the Body Bar workouts, in addition to the TLP's (as do I, of course!!). I recently discovered the Body Bar workouts myself, and I love them!!

Carol
Old 01-09-05, 07:22 PM  
lfcjasp
Exchange Moderator

Oh-oh, I was at the "No, wise, whatever buying" challenge and I mentioned how I pick up new workouts based on the opinions or reviews of people who like the same things I do. If Debbie M. likes Body Bar, I'm in trouble. I've never even seen a Body Bar workout (the only thing we don't agree on so far are the Firms) but now I'm curious...must resist...

What bugs me about toning is that to me, in my mind, when I think toning, I'm thinking, well the muscles are still going to grow (bigger!) and get stronger and who doesn't like definition??? But I realize a lot of women still thinking: Toning...small, dense, strong muscles...why hide those lovely muscles????

I should start a thread on my biggest pet peeve so far this year....why do women so fear building bulky muscles...sigh.
Old 01-09-05, 07:24 PM  
Debbie M

Thank You

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carol_is_fit
Debbie M I have printed out your posts from here - hope you don't mind! THANK YOU!! I've been telling people (in my "real" life) for years they are misusing the word "tone", but the media has put it into our heads that the word as used today in certain fitness circles actually has a physiological meaning.

I just want you to know how much I appreciate yours and Liz N's posts!! I'm glad both of you are here!!

By the way, I saw on another thread that you also like the Body Bar workouts, in addition to the TLP's (as do I, of course!!). I recently discovered the Body Bar workouts myself, and I love them!!

Carol
Thank you Carol. That is very kind of you to say!

Yes, I do love Body Bar and TLP as well as loads of other functional based workouts.

I may love my pure strength and cardio, but I love so many other things too.

Deb

Tags
high rep low weight, results, slow twitch, toning