Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > General Discussion
Register Support VF Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 01-08-05, 02:50 AM  
Kimison
VF Supporter

What type of workout gives the fastest toning results?

I had my third baby about six weeks ago, and I'm ready to start exercising again. I was very active throughout my pregnancy, but I concentrated on cardio--mostly walking, running, and spinning--and I haven't done anything since the baby was born. I desperately need to focus on toning to tighten up this flabby body! I will definitely add cardio back in as well, but I'm not nearly as concerned about fat loss at this point (my weight is actually pretty good for being six weeks post-partum) as I am about just tightening everything up. Having a four-year-old, a two-year-old, and a newborn, however, leaves me with limited time, as you can imagine! I figure that I can commit to spending 30 minutes a day, four days a week on toning (although I'll shoot for six days a week--I just don't know how realistic that is right now), with some extra time devoted to cardio. So with 30 minutes a day, four to possibly six days a week, how do you think my time would be best spent, given my goal of losing inches through tightening up rather than losing pounds through fat loss? What amount of time should I spend lifting weights, and how (i.e., light weights and high reps versus heavier weights and fewer reps, total-body workouts versus upper- and lower-body splits)? And what amount of time should I spend doing other types of toning exercises, such as Pilates and Callanetics--both of which I did regularly before my pregnancy? I would greatly appreciate any input you can give me, including suggested weekly rotations. Thank you very much.

Kimberly
Kimison is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-05, 03:32 AM  
Debbie M

You can't

There is no such thing as toning as a physiological response to exercise (here we go...LOL). Toning is a word promoted by the industry to mean "nicely developed muscles (without being too large) and low bodyfat". It is a description of physical appearance, not the response of a muscle.

You cannot in any way lose inches without losing bodyfat. Any "toning" exercise is strength training, whether it be high rep, low rep, non-traditional, etc. The only adaption a muscle can make to strength training is to grow stronger and larger from this activity (assuming adequate nutrition, rest, etc.). You can also cause the opposite, muscle atrophy (muscle get smaller), by lack of training, overtraining, inadequate rest or nutrition, etc.

To lose inches you must lose bodyfat at the same time as adding dense muscle. Because muscle takes up less room than fat, if you gain a pound of muscle and lose a pound of fat, you will lose inches. You can lose inches by just losing bodyfat (through diet or any form of exercise). You can gain inches by just doing strength training (if there is no caloric deficiet, this is indeed what will happen).

You can also look better without losing inches and without losing bodyfat because muscles give beautiful shape to the body.

If you actually want to see the tape measurement of your thighs (for example) go down, you will have to lose bodyfat. If you don't, any strength training will make them larger.

You can minimize the amount of growth my targeting the slow twitch (endurance) muscle fibres with high rep exercise, unweighted (eg. Lotte Berk, Callanetics) or with light weights (e.g. Slim Series). The slow twitch fibres have a limited potential for growth and will give you the smaller look that you want rather that adding relatively more mass with heavy weights/ low reps.

The addition of 30 minutes X 4-6 of strength training (which burns calories, gives a metabolic afterburn, and increases your RMR if you add significant muscle) could contribute to a calorie deficiet and therefore bodyfat loss without eating less or doing any cardio.

Since you plan on doing cardio as well, as long as you don't change your diet to incude more calories, you should lose bodyfat and therefore the inches that you desire.

Based on 30 minutes and 4 times a week, I would chose an upper/lower split, working each half of the body twice a week.

Deb
Debbie M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-05, 05:51 AM  
Seabush

Excellent response and advice Deb!

Crystal
Seabush is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-05, 06:54 AM  
kimmie2191
VF Supporter

Margaret Richard has several workouts that can be split into 30 min. Cathe's Pour Hour can be split into 30 min. (it originally 1 hour long) as well as MIS (although that would be more of 45 min. ea, I think) Cathe's HSTA has premixes that come to 30 min. as well as her latest DVD's. Also climbing stairs 2 at a time works the whole lower body while also getting in some cardio.

HTH

Kim
kimmie2191 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-05, 08:43 AM  
lfcjasp
Exchange Moderator

Great advice, Deb!

I like Gilad's Quick Fit Series...but they're not 2-way splits. On the Sculpting dvd, he has Shoulders & Arms, Chest & Back, Abs, and Hips, Thighs, & Buns...each run about 20 minutes or less. And there are three cardio dvds, each just over 30 minutes.

Kathy Smith's LWTLW1 does have an upper and lower body split. I think they come in at about 20 minutes each. Then you could throw in any of her cardio tapes.

Tamilee Webb's I Want That Body dvd has 15 minute workouts and I heavy up as much as I can. Unfortunately (can't spell this a.m.), she neglects chest and back

I'll second Margaret Richard's...she's a lot tougher than many people give her credit!

The neat thing about doing separate weights and cardio is that you can get in your workouts in the smaller chunks of time that are all you will have with all those little ones! Trying to do something like a Firm or Slim Series will leave you feeling so frustrated as you may be interrupted so much trying to get through longer workouts. And if you can get longer time breaks for yourself, then go ahead and do a strength then cardio workout.

Good luck, Kimberly, and Congratulations on your newest little darling
Old 01-08-05, 08:56 AM  
FitBoop
VF Supporter

Hi Kimberly! Congratulations on the baby! Also, congratulations on staying active during your pregnancy.

My opinion is to do a split routine, where you work one or two body parts per day of strength, plus some cardio each day. That's what I've been doing, and that's what Cathe said she did after one of her pregnancies, to get back in shape---she designed Cross Training Express (abbreviated CTX) after that manner of getting into shape. Of all the Cathe series, I have used CTX the most. They are short, but you do get both cardio and strength in each, and I believe that will help you get the results you are seeking.

Personally, I feel that in order to reduce bodyfat, cardio is necessary about 5 days per week (I've been doing 30-50 minutes per day, of either treadmill, spinning, recumbent bike, stairclimbing, step aerobics, kickboxing or floor aerobics). To shape the body and build strength and definition, I feel that doing one or two body parts per day allows you to focus in on those muscle groups, plus it is time efficient, and allows you to put all your energy into your strength work because it's only one or two body parts (as opposed to trying to do total body strength or all upper or lower body at the same time). You might also throw in one total body endurance workout per week, or a circuit training workout (like Cathe's High Step Circuit, or Gin Miller's Simply Circuit, or a Firm workout).

Good luck, Kimberly!
FitBoop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-05, 09:13 AM  
roz

Huh? "Tone" is not a real word?
Now that would come as a surprise to my anatomy professor!
roz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-05, 09:32 AM  
FitBoop
VF Supporter

Me too, Roz; I've been using the word, tone, for ages; Debbie, you've made me stop saying it .
FitBoop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-05, 11:34 AM  
lfcjasp
Exchange Moderator

Yeah, we're all a little more careful with that one these days.

But I have to admit, I'm looking at the concept of toning very differently. I've never really feared building big, bulky muscles, because I doubt I'll ever get such creatures to be honest. And after years of carrying big, bulky fat deposits I'll take those muscles anyway. So I welcome the chance to work on building some strong, dense, and yes, they'll be bigger (but never THAT big) muscles! And if that's what toning is, then okay, it works for me I like the word "toning" anyway. It just needs to be defined better I think.

When are we women going to stop fearing building big, bulky muscles. Most of us can't unless we work deliberately and very, very, I mean extremely hard to do so. And those who do, usually know that and are good at finding workouts that better suit them. Look at Cathe...she doesn't look bulky at all, just amazingly fit.
Old 01-08-05, 11:44 AM  
Joanna
VF Supporter

I get good results from a pyramid-style split routine. I am not doign that right now because I am focusing on cardio a little more. Abbe, I only get cardio in three times a week for about 45 minutes a session, you are saying that is not enough? I would not have time to get in my toning if I did more than that.
Joanna is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
high rep low weight, results, slow twitch, toning