Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > General Discussion
Register Support VF Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09-21-04, 02:12 PM  
maigosia

Answer from Michael Olijade ( he is such a sweetheart!)

hi! thanks for your answers.
Here is part of an e-mail I received from Michael Olijade (I asked him if he could explain me this line frm Killer Abs&Back about speed that gives definition. basically I asked if that kind of workout will give me nice muscle tone

I must say I LOVE his answer!

"Hi Mai, absolutely... if you can execute the punches with or without light weight/high rep your body will benefit quickly. It is hard to find documentation of such but you can see through sport how athletes bodies change depending on their endeavor. The human body has an amazing ability to adapt to the demands made upon it, which is exactly what fitness is; a series of demands made upon the body which the body can or cannot fulfill! We like the "can" part!"
maigosia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-04, 07:14 PM  
Debbie M

Quote:
Originally Posted by maigosia
another question connected with this topic is:

IF SLOW TWITCH MUSCLE FIBRES INCREASE METABOLISM, LIKE FAST TWITCH MUSCLES

I suppose that workouts like GWW, Slim Series, Joyce's Definition, cardio workouts that incorporate lots of explosive movements (like punching), swimming FAST (think of Michael Phelps who ONLY swims, he doesn't lift weights at all) build those RED, slow-twitch fibers. The question is if those slow-twitch muscles increase our resting metabolism like fast-twitch muscles (as most of VFers know fast-twitch muscles are built when we lift heavy with few reps, 48hours rest etc)

I'm aware that slow-twitch fibers can't increase its size (when we workout for muscle endurance we can make them more dense/thick and it's effect is DEFINITION (think of Karen Voight's and Debbie Siebers' slim and cut bodies!). And that's why some of us (including me) love results given by that method of exercise.

But I'm not sure if working out this way can provide metabolism boost, like heavy lifting and building bigger, bulkier muscles do.

thanks for any thoughts!
Mai
Just wanted to clarify that slow-twitch fibres do increase in size, just not the extent that fast twitch fibres do. We can't make muscles "thicker" but keep them the same size. That is a myth.

Defined bodies like Debbie Siebers and Karen Voight are a result of genetics, low bodyfat (an absolute must for definition) and strength training that works for their body type.

Remember, genetics is huge! Karen and Debbie may have naturally long muscle bellies. It is not true that you can make muscles physically longer with training like Pilates.

Also, many lean, defined women who we think must use high rep/low weight routines are hard gainers who lift VERY HEAVY to have any muscle at all. I know several tall ectomorphic women who needed to lift very heavy to look like Debbie or Karen!

I guess my point is that a person's body is not a testiment to the type of training that they do, but it is true that weight/rep range is a way to effect the outcome based on your needs.

To answer the metabolism point:
Slow twitch fibres have a large amount of mitochondria (because of their endurance nature) and therefore do aid in fat metabolism.

Deb
Debbie M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-04, 09:16 PM  
Debbie M

Speed of Contraction

Quote:
Originally Posted by GymRatt
And maybe not...Deb M, might know something about this. She mentions rep speed in this post:
http://forum.videofitness.com/showpo...8&postcount=11

Rep speed, or "speed of contraction" is scientifically measured as "degrees per second". It is referred to more commonly as time (in seconds) for the range of movement.

There does seem to be a proven correlation between rep speed and mass development. As the speed of contraction increases there is less force applied to the muscle. Therefore lifting slower and heavier will maximize mass development.

Quick contractions do have benficial effects on the synchronization of muscle fibres.

East German researchers Hartmann and Tunneman did research in this field.
They concluded that slowing down the movement increased both the tension on the muscle and the time under tension for the muscle, resulting in faster increases in strength and mass.

These were examples given in the journal review article (I only have it in print):

1) To recruit slow-twitch endurance fibres:
3 sets, 15-20 reps, 2-0-1 tempo

2) To recruit Type IIa fast twitch fibres:
4 sets, 4-6 reps, 4-0-8 tempo

3)To recruit Type II b fast twitch fibres (pure power and strength fibres):
6 sets, 2-3 reps, 3-1-1 tempo

BTW: The tempo refers to concentric phase - hold - eccentric phase.

So it would seem that there is research to support that a combination of higher reps and faster rep speed both work to recruit the slow twitch fibres.

Deb
Debbie M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-04, 08:06 AM  
maigosia

Deb, thanks for such great answers! You helped me a lot! I build muscles soooo easily... I gain huge bulk in my quad and hamstring even with squats/lunges without any weights... To make things worse, I'm shortie, so I really look like a female Tony Little if I gain muscles in my lower body I'd prefer to be ectomorph who can lift heavy without thinking about bulking - lifting heavy is much more time efficient and is sooo motivating...

thanks again, Mai
maigosia is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
arm definition, fast twitch, heavyhands, slow twitch, swimming