Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > General Discussion
Register Support VF Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09-17-04, 05:12 AM  
maigosia

"speed setting" and gaining definition

I've found that workouts with very fast reps, even if they use light weights (well, they usually have to, because it's almost impossible to keep good form when you're moving your arms or shoulders so fast) gave me great definition in my arms. I'm shortie (5'1) , so I don't care about strenght gains and big muscles.

I've heard in Michael Oljaide's workout that it's speed of repetitions that gives your muscles definition (in shadow boxing section of Killer Abs And Back).
I also remember that Joyce Vedral says in one of her books the same thing.
I hate all those lunges in Tone It Up (Slim Series) but when I used this workout as an high rep/high speed/low weight 30 minute upper body ONLY workout i really see INCREDIBLE changes in my arms.

Do you think there is any scientific explanation, why would speed of repetitions give you definition? (GymRatt, you know everything! Have you read any article/research on that topic?

thanks, Mai
maigosia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-04, 06:03 AM  
maigosia

another question connected with this topic is:

IF SLOW TWITCH MUSCLE FIBRES INCREASE METABOLISM, LIKE FAST TWITCH MUSCLES

I suppose that workouts like GWW, Slim Series, Joyce's Definition, cardio workouts that incorporate lots of explosive movements (like punching), swimming FAST (think of Michael Phelps who ONLY swims, he doesn't lift weights at all) build those RED, slow-twitch fibers. The question is if those slow-twitch muscles increase our resting metabolism like fast-twitch muscles (as most of VFers know fast-twitch muscles are built when we lift heavy with few reps, 48hours rest etc)

I'm aware that slow-twitch fibers can't increase its size (when we workout for muscle endurance we can make them more dense/thick and it's effect is DEFINITION (think of Karen Voight's and Debbie Siebers' slim and cut bodies!). And that's why some of us (including me) love results given by that method of exercise.

But I'm not sure if working out this way can provide metabolism boost, like heavy lifting and building bigger, bulkier muscles do.

thanks for any thoughts!
Mai
Old 09-17-04, 06:35 AM  
Joni O
VF Supporter

I really don't have answers, but I've never heard that the 'speed' is what gives the results. I've heard it's the combination of light weight/high reps. Obiously, you would be going faster using lighter weights.

I got good upper body results when I did my Slim Series rotation too, but I haven't gone back to it because those workouts are so darn long and I hate having to FF through all the stuff I don't like because the DVDs don't have enough chapters!
Joni O is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-04, 06:38 AM  
horsemom2

Warning: enabling alert

Quote:
Originally Posted by maigosia
But I'm not sure if working out this way can provide metabolism boost, like heavy lifting and building bigger, bulkier muscles do.

thanks for any thoughts!
Mai

It may not build as much muscle mass BUT it definitely helps to burn off fat and make the heart healthier as well as improve definition.
I have been reading the HeavyHands books written by Dr. Leonard Schwartz and he has actually proven that using the lesser used muscles in the upper body and core during a cardio workout definitely adds intensity to a workout and more comfortably then trying to up the intensity through the lower body alone like most cardio activities. Another advantage of using light weights is that it can improve flexibility and range of motion. However, he still recommends some heavier weight training to be part of a complete program.

Barb S
who hopes to age as gracefully as Dr. Schwartz
horsemom2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-04, 07:16 AM  
GymRatt
VF Supporter

Speedsetting...

Quote:
Will see what I can find...but something tells me this will be more 'anecdotal' in nature than scientific...
And maybe not...Deb M, might know something about this. She mentions rep speed in this post:
http://forum.videofitness.com/showpo...8&postcount=11
GymRatt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-04, 07:43 AM  
isa

Quote:
think of Michael Phelps who ONLY swims, he doesn't lift weights at all
I donīt know about Michael Phelps, but Ian Thorpe does other things besides swimming. In the latest (Dutch) edition of Menīs Health he gives training tips. He says he swims a LOT, varying techniques/ strokes and he does exercises like breast stroke with arms only and freestyle with hands into fists. But he also trains his explosive power by jumping over a hurdles after a sound signal.

He shows two exercises with dumbbells (text and pictures of him doing the exercises), a bench press and a one-armed seated bicep curl with legs wide and the elbow of the working arm resting on the inside of the knee.

He says he prefers a bench press with dumbbells (over a barbell), because it requires more balance and trains muscle coordination.
isa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-04, 07:53 AM  
maigosia

Yes. I know that most swimmers weight train. I've read interview with American swimmers trainer, and he said that Ian Crocker is much more explosive than Michael Phelps, because he lift weights. But I still think Phelps' physique is awesome, so it seems that for him intensive swimming is enough (all in all, swimming butterfly HARD work!)
Old 09-17-04, 07:55 AM  
lfcjasp
Exchange Moderator

I realize that people have been jogging for ages and not really working their upper bodies and that's great cardio; but for most of us, esp. those with lower body issues (injuries, arthritis) we have to incorporate upper body work to get any real intensity. I know if I don't actively and deliberately employ my arms as well as my legs, I don't my hr in my target zone and it won't stay there.
I have some longer cardio and some kickboxing dvds and step workouts where I don't need to wear my wrist wts., but for those shorter ones or walking routines, those 1# wts. are indispensable!
Old 09-17-04, 07:57 AM  
isa

Quote:
(all in all, swimming butterfly HARD work!)
Yes , and what about breast stroke without using your legs (one of Thorpeīs swimming exercises). Thatīs definitely a good upper body workout!
isa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-04, 08:46 AM  
lfcjasp
Exchange Moderator

What amazes and disappoints me is that swimming is such flaming hard work (the breathing part is d#*n hard even with mild asthma), but because of the cooling effect of the water, it isn't really cardio work (please don't flame me, this isn't my idea!). But it sure will build some nice muscles working against the water! I've also read it builds long, lean muscles versus shorter, bulky muscles...again just what I've read.

Tags
arm definition, fast twitch, heavyhands, slow twitch, swimming