Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > General Discussion
Register Support VF Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-27-04, 10:03 AM  
horsemom2

an oldie but goodie to try

If you have Kari Anderson's and Linda Evan's a New You laying around, it works beautifully with one pound weights. Kari is constantly calling attention to contracting various muscle groups and repeats each move a good number reps at a slow hi-lo pace without fancy footwork, offering various intensity options. It even has nice music!
This lower intensity workout becomes very intense with light weights

Barb S
who worked mostly 75-80% MHR throughout after the warmup, and even entered interval ranges close to 90% MHR
horsemom2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-04, 10:18 AM  
horsemom2

check in next month

Starting in September the Rebounding Plus checkin will include HH so if interested in either or both, do drop in!!!

Barb S
who likes having just one checkin to report to daily instead of a bunch of different ones
Old 08-27-04, 10:46 AM  
Videophile

Quote:
Originally Posted by meggie
And Nancy, I have done the older Firms -- I like them but they're not great on my knees.
I use the rebounder when jogging and a lower step than they use. Otherwise I'd have knee problems also. Since the elavator in my building went down last week I've only done the Firms that don't use the "fanny lifter" since walking up the stairs is plenty of a "step" workout for me. LOL

Nancy
Videophile is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-04, 01:48 PM  
monterey vidiot
VF Supporter

How did Nancy / nabrudigam find that website for the Heavyhands instructional? Fantastically quick service. Mine came yesterday & I did it this morning. The time breakdown on the back of the VHS box is inaccurate, but I still enjoyed the workout a lot. There's no warmup. After some chat, they walk outside for nearly 5 minutes. I walked up & down the hallway. Then in the studio, they do fun heavyhands things for about 18 minutes. I saw no cooldown. Dr. Schwartz is an inspiration!

Cynthia
monterey vidiot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-04, 03:55 PM  
Videophile

Quote:
Originally Posted by monterey vidiot
How did Nancy find that website for the Heavyhands instructional? Fantastically quick service.
It's my natural curiosity (nosiness?) that leads me to research anything that looks even remotely interesting. I especially love the video & book suggestions I've gotten here, on Ya Ya's and on Fitprime that I may not have known about otherwise. Keeps my mind from turning to mush, which is a real threat, now that I'm retired.

Nancy
Old 08-27-04, 04:34 PM  
monterey vidiot
VF Supporter

heavyhands or weighted gloves?

I've been using weighted gloves because I have them. Does anyone use Heavyhands (the brand name)? If you do, how do they compare to weighted gloves?

Cynthia
monterey vidiot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-04, 05:06 PM  
lfcjasp
Exchange Moderator

Some thoughts...on a Friday???????????????????????

All this talk about heavyhands sounds really interesting. I remember when the "experts" were cautioning against holding weights while doing aerobics...bad news to those of us hooked on the newest craze then, the Firm!
I've been using 1# wrist weights while doing whatever cardio workouts I have (WYWS, Get Moving, Charlene Prickett's shorter low impact hi-lo's and Karen Voight's, too...planning to wear them to do Kathy Smith's Peak Fat Burning and Tamilee Webb's Cardio Blast this weekend) and am wondering if this is in the same neighborhood as the HeavyHands???
As to the safety issue, if you're careless and NOT wearing any weights, while flinging around your arms or punching, I KNOW from experience that you can cause your elbows and shoulders to complain!
So thanks for starting this thread and alerting us to another set of vids and a new and "easier" (if only on the feet and knees!!!) way to workout!
Old 08-27-04, 05:17 PM  
horsemom2

Quote:
Originally Posted by lfcjasp
All this talk about heavyhands sounds really interesting. I remember when the "experts" were cautioning against holding weights while doing aerobics...bad news to those of us hooked on the newest craze then, the Firm!
I've been using 1# wrist weights while doing whatever cardio workouts I have (WYWS, Get Moving, Charlene Prickett's shorter low impact hi-lo's and Karen Voight's, too...planning to wear them to do Kathy Smith's Peak Fat Burning and Tamilee Webb's Cardio Blast this weekend) and am wondering if this is in the same neighborhood as the HeavyHands???
As to the safety issue, if you're careless and NOT wearing any weights, while flinging around your arms or punching, I KNOW from experience that you can cause your elbows and shoulders to complain!
So thanks for starting this thread and alerting us to another set of vids and a new and "easier" (if only on the feet and knees!!!) way to workout!
you've got it!
just avoid fast jerky movements and keep the weights light and you're doing cardio the heavy hands way

Barb S
who is going to have a real challenge when I switch to lower intensity in November to rebuild an aerobic base...maybe will barely use the lower body and keep the weights
Old 08-27-04, 07:10 PM  
Videophile

Quote:
Originally Posted by horsemom2
Starting in September the Rebounding Plus checkin will include HH
I thought it already did.

N
Old 08-27-04, 08:24 PM  
lfcjasp
Exchange Moderator

Thanks, Barb S.! I just finished Kathy Smith's Peak Fat Burning wo with my 1# wrist weights on and omg, did my hr soar during those intervals!!! I think I just started my weekend off to a great note....

Tags
esquire, heavyhands