Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > General Discussion

Old 08-25-04, 05:02 PM  
glavtx
VF Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by nabrudigam
The panaerobics vid is really cheap on amazon.com and there's a couple on e-bay less than $5
Yes, but which one? The one I was describing, and did again today, is called "Heavyhands Panaerobics Basics" and has Leonard Schwartz, and two other people working out. It's knid of pricey, but for 51 minutes worth of a great workout, I think it's worth it.

I got one called "Panaerobics Low Impact Workout" from Amazon.com for less than $3.00, but haven't done it yet. Barb has, and described it :

"It starts out looking like a typical hi-lo workout except the emphasis seems to be on the total body, even upper body more than most hi-lo with her feet comparatively stationary. She does use one pound wrist weights in the 4 aerobic segments and uses slow big movements to avoid jerky joint action. There are enough rhythmic aerobic movements wearing light weights in this workout (at least 15 minutes) worth getting cheaply at amazon or half.com for alternative or addon HH movements.
The toning segments after the aerobics are very routine
(pushups, crunches, floorwork) and it does have a dated look as far as the instructor's outift. "

I'm glad I got it for the price, but just wanted to point out I hadn't tried it, and don't know what moves it has.

The HH Panaerobics Basic is the one with absolutely no cueing, or talking, after the intro. It is a wonderful workout, though, and I enjoyed it more today than the first time I did it. I think because I kind of knew what was coming, and it was easier to get into the flow.

I think the Heavyhands Walk Plus is great, too, and it does cue and instruct. I'm waiting for the 30 minute one Barb talks about - it sounds good, too!

O.K., I think I write the longest posts anywhere, so I'm stopping, and heading to the rebounding plus check in. Maybe next monthe we can make it rebounding plus heavyhands

If the only prayer you say in your life is Thank You, that would suffice.
Meister Eckhart

It is our resistance to things as they are that causes most unhappiness.

When you rise in the morning, give thanks for the light, for your life, for your
strength. Give thanks for your food and for the joy of living. If you see no
reason to give thanks, the fault lies in yourself. Tecumseh
glavtx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-04, 08:31 PM  
Videophile

Quote:
Originally Posted by glavtx
Yes, but which one? The one I was describing, and did again today, is called "Heavyhands Panaerobics Basics" and has Leonard Schwartz, and two other people working out. It's knid of pricey, but for 51 minutes worth of a great workout, I think it's worth it.

I got one called "Panaerobics Low Impact Workout" from Amazon.com for less than $3.00, but haven't done it yet.
Both the ones on amazon & e-bay are "Panaerobics low impact workout" The e-bay description says it's 60 minutes. One .99 cent auction ended with no bids and the other is at $2 with no bids.

Nancy
Videophile is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-04, 08:22 AM  
SpiritYogi

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mindi
VCRS are like 20 bucks now. GET ONE and enjoy the best of BOTH worlds!!!
No, no, no......I want to go forward with technology, not backwards! And once you switch to DVD, VHS just cannot compare. It's like comparing black & white to color TV. Besides, I don't have room for a VCR. :rolleyes:
SpiritYogi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-04, 09:09 AM  
meggie
VF Supporter

Dena: Yes *but* there are so many great w/o's out there that are only available on VHS..... And, hey, I still use a bicycle sometimes even though I love my car.... right???

PS on the topic of this thread: What level weights are y'all using for this? Also, what do you do with your legs?! I tried Heavy Hands Plus w/o (thanks Terri!) last night, and really enjoyed it, but felt like I got much more of an arm w/o (a strength w/o) than a leg/cardio w/o.
Old 08-26-04, 11:42 AM  
KarenH

HeavyHands Users

I am using 2 lb. weights in each hand. That is the beauty of HH in that your upper body gives you a great aerobic workout without blowing out your knees. I do this workout 2 times a week (the 51 min one) which does have more leg work in it than the DVD and then Hi/low or step 2 times a week. So I get a good balance of upper and lower body aerobic workout without hurting my knees and legs every day.
KarenH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-04, 01:18 PM  
Videophile

Quote:
Originally Posted by meggie
I tried Heavy Hands Plus w/o (thanks Terri!) last night, and really enjoyed it, but felt like I got much more of an arm w/o (a strength w/o) than a leg/cardio w/o.
Have you done the FIRM classics? You work arms and legs at the same time. (lunge while doing biceps, squat or side to side steps while doing military presses, etc. ) I was surprised I liked them, but it's because they make weights fun and that's saying a lot cuz I HATE weights. They're available on e-bay a lot very reasonably. They sold at $50 when they first came out and I've been getting them for $5-10. O.K. I'm a fanatic.

I'm going to try heavyhands when the one I bought on amazon.com gets here cuz I'm very curious. I've seen two of the books at the library found them intriguing.

Nancy
Videophile is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-04, 03:57 PM  
horsemom2

Hi Meggie!

Quote:
Originally Posted by meggie
PS on the topic of this thread: What level weights are y'all using for this? Also, what do you do with your legs?! I tried Heavy Hands Plus w/o (thanks Terri!) last night, and really enjoyed it, but felt like I got much more of an arm w/o (a strength w/o) than a leg/cardio w/o.
as you can guess, I either use the rebounder or stand on the Bosu while holding one pounders, sometimes 1 1/2. Since I sweat plenty and HR is purrrfect, I haven't upped the poundage yet unless doing a circuit then go heavier for the weight segment.
Standing on the Bosu while either bouncing or walking/jogging or shifting my weight gives me quite a lower body and core challenge in addition to the upper body with the extra G Force.
If you are on the floor just try dipping or bending your knees more or taking larger strides or following whichever exerciser seems to be working the lower body more. Dr. Schwartz loves to throw in kicks in all directions (or try knee raises) in the 30 minute workout.

Barb S
who did a workout with mostly long levers this morning and a lot of balancing so did most of it on the floor
horsemom2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-04, 12:02 AM  
meggie
VF Supporter

Barb, indeed! I should have thought of that!! Next time I'll try the w/o on the rebounder -- I'll bet that will get more of a "cardio" feel . Thanks.

And Nancy, I have done the older Firms -- I like them but they're not great on my knees.

Karen, which 51 minute w/o are you talking about? The original 2x21 min. w/o VHS without instruction? Or the panaerobics one? Or something else?

love,
meg
Old 08-27-04, 06:50 AM  
horsemom2

clarification

The cheap Low Impact Panaerobics isn't true HeavyHands.
However, for a cheap price it does offer some moves the instructor feels is safe to do while holding light weights (just 1/2 pounds were recommended to start) and she is on the right track about adding intensity with weights in spite of a dated look. Unfortunately, most experts were against using weights continuously with cardio so this technique lost its momentum
Her moves do not involve the core as much as Dr. Schwartz's and there are plenty of moves you can pick up from other cardio workouts as well as develop on your own.
I also have a couple of other cheap old videos that use both wrist and ankle weights for four limb aerobics I keep meaning to revisit.

Barb S
who is cringing everytime an instructors says not to use weights during a cardio routine (problem is most folks don't try just one pounders or even less and risk injury going too heavy before strengthening these unused muscles ... ironically, it is the very nature of these unused muscles that creates the extra cardio intensity)
horsemom2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-04, 08:39 AM  
KarenH

HeavyHands Users

Meggie, I am refering to the 51 min VHS video which contains 2-21 min workouts. I can now make it through the whole video but am exhausted at the end. I can really feel it in my upper body and the good thing is that my legs do not hurt like they do when I do the Firm or step aerobics.
Karen
KarenH is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
esquire, heavyhands