Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > Clothing, Shoes, Equipment, Gear

Old 08-12-04, 07:27 PM  
FitBoop
VF Supporter

I subscribed to Consumer Reports for many years, and have followed their advice quite often, and was happy with my purchases. Consumer Reports bases their reviews on their own tests, and they also base the product reliability on the annual reviews that thousands of CR subscribers submit.

The articles about the fitness equipment are generally good, but they are limited to just the few manufacturers tested. There are often many other excellent manufacturers that are not mentioned, for no other reason than CR didn't choose to test them or include them in the article. Otherwise, I would place some degree of confidence in the overall ratings of the products.
FitBoop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-04, 07:21 AM  
merigayle

I LOVE the precors that i used to use at the gym. i think a good bet would go to a used fitness equiptment place, we have one near us, mostly professional/ gym equiptment and they give some type of warranty that they will fix it for a certain length of time. about 3-4 years ago a roomate and i bought a cheap one at sears, i no longer have it, but it did the job and it was only 200-250 i think. nothing fancy. if i were to do it again (and was not in huge debt) i would get a used precor. just my 2 cents

-M
ps we have a home gym (another sears deal) and it was INSANE to put together, there must have been 1 million peices and screws, etc. but well worth it in the end. i just do not know how we are going to move it out of here when we move in the fall!!
merigayle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-04, 01:15 PM  
Sam
VF Supporter

Taking My Time Deciding

I'm still poking around trying to figure out which elliptical I want. Any thoughts on machines with arm movement vs machines without? I like the adjustable incline. What I've read so far is that some experts suggest that if your machine inclines it is best to get one without poles.

Anyone know why the club models are self-powered while the home models seem to be 120V?

Thanks for any input!

Tags
consumer reports