Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > Clothing, Shoes, Equipment, Gear
Register Support VF Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 07-13-04, 07:44 PM  
rainbowbrite

How much credence do you place on Consumer Reports findings on fitness equipment?

I am seriously looking for an elliptical trainer and I am wondering how accurate the CR ratings are.

Also, what kind of elliptical trainer is a good one regardless of their ratings?

Thanks for any input.
rainbowbrite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-04, 08:40 AM  
jb59

thumbs up for CR

I'm sorry that I know nothing about elliptical trainers, but we have had good luck following Consumer Report's advice for many purchases, not just fitness equipment. We bought a treadmill many years ago following it's recommendation, and it has worked beautifully. More recently, we purchased a home gym following a recommendation from 2001 (the same model no. was still available) , and although it was ridiculous for my husband and sons to assemble, works very well so far. The problem with the magazine, is that many of the model numbers are no longer available by the time the magazine comes out.

Good luck!
jb59 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-04, 10:42 AM  
Vintage VFer
VF Supporter

Consumer Reports is a valuable service. But their reviews are often outdated. And they stick to a moderate price range of items. Which is ok, but may not show all the best options.

You really need to try an elliptical before you buy. Some feel right and some feel wrong. I found that the Precor model we chose felt just right.

Here are some consumer reviews of ellipticals. I used this to help decide which one to buy:

http://www.epinions.com/sprt-All-Exe...tical_Trainers

Get ready for a lot of reading!

POSTURE CHECK!
Vintage VFer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-04, 07:19 PM  
mimikz

I take Consumer Reports' information (I subscribe online) along with other sources for buying things in general, including fitness equipment. Often I find that I agree with CR, and sometimes it's interesting info, but doesn't address my concerns.

I strongly agree with Alta that you should try different models to see which one is right for you.

Mine is a LifeFitness x9i that I have had for >1.5 years. I LOVE it still. My former gym limited people to 20 minutes on one just like it :rolleyes: so I bought one myself. This was a huge expenditure for me, but I've never had any regrets. It's our health, after all

Good luck!
Mimi
mimikz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-04, 09:42 AM  
Sam
VF Supporter

Work-aholic Back On The Wagon

Hi Everyone,

I've been totally immersed in work for the past four months, and just now pulled up VF after a loooooonnng hiatus. I've missed you all!

Anyway, I'm thinking of buying an elliptical machine and did a search on "Precor" here at VF. Came up with this thread first and thought I'd break my posting silence by saying I'm so happy that VFers have such a wealth of info to share. I'm going to do some big-time reading before deciding which kind of machine I want. You all have never steered me wrong.

The only good part about the last four months of work-aholism is that I'm getting a nice big bonus check and am rewarding myself with an elliptical machine. Ahhhhhh, now for the research!
Old 08-03-04, 10:47 AM  
vmelo

Sam, I just had to chime in and say that that is the cutest puppy I've ever seen! Is it yours? He (she?) is so adorable!!
vmelo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-04, 11:21 AM  
Clare*
Moderator/ BC Survivor

All I can tell you is that I followed Consumer Reports recommendation with regard to non-stick pans and ended up with the worse purchase of my life! (Scan Pans at almost 400.00, that EVERYTHING stuck to!)

I also remember many years ago when they did a report on exercise videos and then completely dissed The Firm in favor of Richard Simmons.

“..Know the difference between an inconvenience & a problem. If you break your neck, if you have nothing to eat, if your house is on fire- then you got a problem. Everything else is inconvenience. Life is inconvenient. Life is lumpy… And a lump in the oatmeal, and lump in the throat, and a lump in the breast are not the same lump. One should learn the difference.” Sigmund Wollman's Reality Test by Robert Fulghum
Clare* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-04, 12:09 PM  
Alan

I have a feeling CR would diss most of the videos that are popular here at VF. Cathe, P90X, et al would be considered way too risky.
Alan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-04, 10:03 AM  
Sam
VF Supporter

Precor on Dr Phil

I've used Precor machines in various gyms and liked those. Unfortunately, I didn't bother writing down any model numbers. Some time ago, Dr Phil was giving away Precor ellipticals as one of the choices of prizes for something. They looked excellent. The model number on Phil's website didn't match anything I could find on the Precor site, though.

Clare, I would be mighty angry with a $400.00 set of non-stick pans that weren't. Did you get your money back?

Vmelo, yep, that's my baby. He's all grown up now, but is stilll completely kissable and huggable. Thanks!

Interesting about CR on exercise videos. I'd rather get a real opinion from VFers or even Collage. If you're going to do a video hundreds of times, CR tests wouldn't cut it for me. The opinions of like-minded vidiots are worth a lot more.
Old 08-04-04, 11:48 AM  
Jane P.
VF Supporter

I don't know anything about CR's equipment reviews, but keep in mind that you don't have to buy a gym quality machine for home use. Machines in gyms are used by several individuals on and off for 8 to 12 hours a day. You will not use a home machine that much. A good mid price machine should be fine.
The main thing is to make sure it has a good warranty.

Tags
consumer reports