Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > General Discussion

Old 03-08-23, 09:15 PM  
bubbles76

Crockpots - Advice Needed

My friend convinced me to buy a crockpot, but when it arrived it seemed flimsy:

Hamilton Beach 33662 Programmable Slow Cooker with 6 Quart Stovetop-Safe Sear & Cook Crock, Silver

The only crockpots I've known were ceramic. Maybe this is just how they are made now so that they are lightweight? Does anyone have this model and does it actually work well? How well has it held up?

If this is a dud, what model do you have? I'm determined to get a crockpot since I'm now 100% telework, but would like a nice one. Prefer it to have a timer, a removable insert, and be easy to clean. Thanks!
"You humans have the potential to be the most wonderful beings there are - if you can get past all these enormous stupid spots you seem to have in your hearts. It's not your fault. You just don't know how to work your hearts right yet. That's why there are dogs." - Jim Butcher, Zoo Day

Last edited by bubbles76; 03-09-23 at 08:02 AM. Reason: Update title to add "Off Topic"
bubbles76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-23, 09:43 PM  
Kathy G
VF Supporter

I’ve had a Proctor Silex Oval 4qt slow cooker for 15 years and it’s still working well! It has a ceramic removable pot, glass lid, and three settings (keep warm, low, and high). The ceramic has been stain resistant and non-stick and has been easy clean up. I use it once or twice a week to cook chicken, roasts, or chili.

ETA: No timer on it. I have another similar to the one you bought but had issues with it scorching (but it had a ceramic insert too). Not sure about the metal one you purchased. It may end up being great!
(1) 50k
(10) Marathons
(2) 20 milers
(3) 25k’s
(16) Half Marathons
(1) 20k
(6) 10 milers
(1) 15k
Kathy G is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-23, 09:59 PM  
katmom

I have a 4 quart Proctor Silex probably 15 years old with a removable ceramic insert and no timer. I also have a 6 quart Ninja that is probably 9 years old. It has a timer and a removable non stick metal insert.

If I am making a meal that needs to be transported, I use the Proctor Silex because it has a handy locking feature. It has handles that lift and then the lid locks in place. Of course they no longer make this model.
Old 03-08-23, 10:22 PM  
Fonzie
VF Supporter

I've used a 5 quart Hamilton Beach with a ceramic insert for 10 years or so. It gets a lot of use, at least once per week. It is wonderful in the summer, when it is too hot to cook. Mine is a very basic model (just a dial for warm/low/high, and no timer). But hey, I won it as a door prize, and it serves me well The ceramic is easy to clean (I like to use Bar Keeper's Friend for ceramic, glass or stainless pans, or I use slow cooker liners if cooking something really messy.

No experience with aluminum slow cookers, but being able to use it on the stovetop would be a plus, and lightweight if going to a potluck or such. I'm guessing the slow cooker liners wouldn't play well with aluminum.
Fonzie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-23, 10:41 AM  
Pat58
VF Supporter

I use the slow cook feature on my Instant Pot - best of both worlds.

It slow cooks in half the time which is good for me because I will no longer leave the house with a crockpot operating. I came home from work one evening and the crockpot and everything in it was burnt to a crisp, the house filled with smoke.
Pat58 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-23, 11:21 AM  
buffmama

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pat58 View Post
I use the slow cook feature on my Instant Pot - best of both worlds.
I was going to say this also. I use my IP daily. It has a keep warm function and you can leave it closed + off and it'll stay warm but be done. I love having things d.o.n.e. so the satisfaction is huge.
Old 03-09-23, 12:28 PM  
bubbles76

I don't think I'll use an Instant Pot. I'm specifically interested in slow cooking, so I think an IP would be overkill.
"You humans have the potential to be the most wonderful beings there are - if you can get past all these enormous stupid spots you seem to have in your hearts. It's not your fault. You just don't know how to work your hearts right yet. That's why there are dogs." - Jim Butcher, Zoo Day
bubbles76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-23, 12:43 PM  
Erica H.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bubbles76 View Post
My friend convinced me to buy a crockpot, but when it arrived it seemed flimsy:

Hamilton Beach 33662 Programmable Slow Cooker with 6 Quart Stovetop-Safe Sear & Cook Crock, Silver

The only crockpots I've known were ceramic. Maybe this is just how they are made now so that they are lightweight? Does anyone have this model and does it actually work well? How well has it held up?

If this is a dud, what model do you have? I'm determined to get a crockpot since I'm now 100% telework, but would like a nice one. Prefer it to have a timer, a removable insert, and be easy to clean. Thanks!
I have a basic Hamilton Beach slow cooker that is similar to this one as far as material and it's worked well for a long time. I used to use it frequently but I don't anymore. But it got a lot of use with no problems at all.

Erica
Erica H. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-23, 02:13 PM  
bzar
Exchange Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by bzar View Post
i have this, and it's a slightly different model that has a red on/off light (see link below). i do like that it has a high-low-warm and off setting. we had a different model years ago that didn't have an "off" setting - it was either high or low! to turn it off, you had to unplug it.

i also have that "film" that you referred to. i recently decided to try those slow cooker liners made by Reynolds company. have yet to try it, but that "film" is probably here to stay. it's not a stain or anything - i think the heat must have caused the change. it feels "rough" instead of "smooth" in the bottom where that "film" is. a few times, i rubbed a little cooking oil to get it to be "shiny" again. maybe your DH uses Mr. Clean Magic Eraser to remove it?

https://www.bestbuy.com/site/hamilto...?skuId=9731244
Quoting myself from another slow cooker/crockpot thread. the "film" discussed in my quote referred to when the ceramic's shine became dull from normal use. I now use the Reynold's (tough plastic bags) liners, and before lining the crockpot, i brush olive oil on the inside of the crock pot. ours is very heavy ceramic and the ceramic pot comes out of the cooker for easy cleaning.

i suggest getting one as large as your space and budget allows. Ours is a 6 Quart and allows for cooking odd-shaped items like turkey hindquarters. you might think "6 quarts is too much food" but you can still cook less and it allows you to insert pans in there if you're steaming something.

It has no timer and is non-programmable. I get around that by cooking it on the low or warm setting, or cooking the dish on the weekend while we're at home and then eating it during the weekdays. or even cooking overnight on the low setting.

Miyagi: Wax on, right hand. Wax off, left hand. Wax on, wax off. Breathe in through nose, out the mouth. Wax on, wax off. Don't forget to breathe, very important.
[walks away, still making circular motions with hands] ~ Pat Morita, The Karate Kid, 1984

disclosure: in the years 2002-2004 i had a professional relationship with a distributor of fitness videos; see profile.
bzar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-23, 04:54 PM  
Lori_Michigan

Like others, I too have the old reliable 5-quart Hamilton Beach ceramic insert crock pot. I use it every few weeks, and I'm guessing it's now 19 years old. A true work horse!
Lori_Michigan is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
crockpot, off topic, off-topic, slow cooker