Gemini2874
VF Supporter

Help please

Deleted

*trigger warning- Eating Disorder/Depression thread*
Gemini2874 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-23, 05:02 PM  
Erica H.

I don't have any suggestions but I wanted to send you a big hug and tell you I totally understand and definitely don't think you're stupid for feeling the way you do. Eating disorders have wasted so much of my life and caused me so much physical and emotional suffering. I hope you get some good suggestions and support here.

Erica
Erica H. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-23, 05:31 PM  
ChelePA

What about the workouts on YouTube that the instructor doesn’t talk at all. Just usually music, timer and a preview window. Caroline Girvan, Heather Robertson, Kat-Gates Buettner, and Growingannas to name a few.

If you had the Peloton app, I could name a few instructors that would probably be what you’re looking for.

I completely understand your struggle. I have many family members who have suffered with eating disorders. Sending support and positive vibes your way.
ChelePA is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-23, 05:32 PM  
bzar
Exchange Moderator

some of the lifting-only workouts are empowering such as tony little, tom holland and joyce vedral come to mind. margaret richard is another. joyce's books are especially empowering, i have found, just on the narrative alone, and you get a workout if you want. in joyce's videos, she wears shorts and a tank top in her workouts.

tony little leads his Body Express series alone, focusing on the moves. same with tom holland.

keep us posted.

Miyagi: Wax on, right hand. Wax off, left hand. Wax on, wax off. Breathe in through nose, out the mouth. Wax on, wax off. Don't forget to breathe, very important.
[walks away, still making circular motions with hands] ~ Pat Morita, The Karate Kid, 1984

disclosure: in the years 2002-2004 i had a professional relationship with a distributor of fitness videos; see profile.
bzar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-23, 05:36 PM  
Lori_Michigan

Echoing everyone's thoughts, I hope you find nothing but support here! You never know who else you might be able to help just by saying what you're going through.

I've been doing a lot of Jessica's workouts over the past month, and all of her walks and low impact workouts have a lot of positivity and encouragement.

I also really enjoy Walking Workouts Online (https://walkingonlineworkouts.vhx.tv/). Just walking and music, and some really pretty outdoor walks.

Chris Freytag's Get Healthy U (https://www.gethealthyutv.com/vtag/chris-freytag/) and her older Prevention walking workouts (I think there's some used ones on Amazon still) are pretty encouraging. She is a great Instagram follow.

Curtis Adams's youtube walking and his walking DVDs on Amazon are fun and low key, he's very encouraging and seems like a lovely person in real life. I enjoy his DVD a lot: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...3HREWERC&psc=1

Sending huge hugs!
Lori_Michigan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-23, 05:52 PM  
alisoncooks

I know outdoor walking isn’t for everyone, but my dd and I started a daily walk at the beginning of this year and it’s been beneficial. Not only getting out in the fresh air and breeze, but we see a nice variety of people at our trail. Old, young, thick, thin, 4-legged furry friends.
alisoncooks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-23, 06:24 PM  
Erica H.

Quote:
Originally Posted by alisoncooks View Post
I know outdoor walking isn’t for everyone, but my dd and I started a daily walk at the beginning of this year and it’s been beneficial. Not only getting out in the fresh air and breeze, but we see a nice variety of people at our trail. Old, young, thick, thin, 4-legged furry friends.
Good suggestion. Getting out really does help if you can do so.

Erica
Old 02-07-23, 06:47 PM  
Gemini2874
VF Supporter

Thank you, guys. I’m crying. I appreciate people actually caring. Sorry I deleted my original message. I guess I was just so embarrassed that sometimes I struggle like this. It can be so hard to work out when you are trying to stay in recovery for an eating disorder and all you see and hear in your workout videos are messages to change your body. I had been doing so well ignoring all that crap. Then, a random walk with Leslie talking about losing weight triggered me and it’s been a downward spiral ever since. Most of the time I can tune it out but sometimes, no matter how hard I try to ignore it, I just can’t. The skinny instructors showing all that skin or the talk to “burn fat”, “lose weight”, “burn calories”, etc just on a rare occasion will trigger me. It’s detrimental to my mental health. I wish there were some instructors who looked like average people with average backgrounders of all body types; wearing non revealing clothing; and focuses on health instead of aesthetics or losing weight. The older I get, the harder it is for me to tolerate it. Exercise is one of the things that keeps my depression at bay so I’m not in a good place right now. I hope I don’t delete this too. But, I’m really struggling right now. I will check out the suggestions. Thank you
Old 02-07-23, 07:00 PM  
Erica H.

There's nothing to be embarrassed about and I'm glad you reached out. I'm so sorry that you're struggling so much right now. Sending you love and hugs from someone who totally understands and cares. Hang in there...

Erica
Old 02-07-23, 07:06 PM  
Gemini2874
VF Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Erica H. View Post
There's nothing to be embarrassed about and I'm glad you reached out. I'm so sorry that you're struggling so much right now. Sending you love and hugs from someone who totally understands and cares. Hang in there...

Erica
Thank you {{hugs and love back}}

Tags
body image, diet culture, eating disorders, hybrid calisthenics, mental health