Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > General Discussion
Register Support VF Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 03-01-23, 11:04 AM  
bzar
Exchange Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by fanofladyvols View Post
doggone it ...13 people are already ahead of me!

So I guess I'm glad I suggested the purchase for all those folks
I searched earlier too and it wasn't available to request just yet, and i too forgot to go back. well. i'm #4 in line! and there's only 1 copy, so it might be another several months before it's my turn.

For archival purposes, here's the book title and author:

Fit Nation: The Gains and Pains of America's Exercise Obsession, by Natalia Mehlman Petrzela

One thing about our library is if you make a suggestion and they agree to add it to their collection, they automatically put you first in the request line. i recently did that for a book about the band America entitled "America the Band An authorized biography" by Jude Warne. that was a few weeks ago.

The last time I did that was for a fitness book on heart rate zone training - the Maffetone Method.

Miyagi: Wax on, right hand. Wax off, left hand. Wax on, wax off. Breathe in through nose, out the mouth. Wax on, wax off. Don't forget to breathe, very important.
[walks away, still making circular motions with hands] ~ Pat Morita, The Karate Kid, 1984

disclosure: in the years 2002-2004 i had a professional relationship with a distributor of fitness videos; see profile.
bzar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-23, 08:17 AM  
FirmDancer
VF Supporter

I've ordered it from the library!
“Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming "Wow! What a Ride!” -- Hunter S. Thompson

Current Rotations:
JSmith: STRENGTHEN
ManFlowYoga: morning sessions & Strength Foundations
YogaGlo & MFML: easy, morning classes
FirmDancer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-23, 01:37 PM  
Sue B
VF Supporter

I just saw the author quoted in this CNN article about how strength training is becoming more popular than cardio in post-pandemic gyms.
https://www.cnn.com/2023/02/28/busin...dio/index.html

Drop Two Sizes, Fit Body Blueprint, STRONG Eat. Lift. Thrive. and Revamp grad

DISCLOSURE: I have a professional relationship with a seller or producer of fitness videos or products. For details, please see my profile.
Sue B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-23, 07:45 AM  
fanofladyvols

I'm moving up the hold list!

Never give up on your body!-- Miranda Esmonde-White

Word/Guiding Principle for 2024: Embrace: embrace my faith, my family, my friends, myself, the process, the progress, the hard work, the strength program I choose, the recovery methods and rest I need, my life, the good times, and the memories of good people.
fanofladyvols is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-23, 12:05 PM  
adawn
VF Supporter

My library book is languishing (still unread) in my knitting bin. If I can just finish this latest knitting project soon (I'm working on a deadline), I will hopefully have enough time to read it before the book due on March 22nd. There are no holds on it currently so I don't feel too guilty.

My sister-in-law thumbed through it while she was visiting the other weekend. She's been doing Jazzercise for decades (I think she even taught at one time), so she went to the index at the back of the book and then was flipping to all the parts that mention Jazzercise.
adawn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-23, 02:00 PM  
lgk

fanofladyvols, that’s great that your library took your suggestion & got the book, please let us know what you think once you’ve been able to read it.

Vous pouvez sortir Mademoiselle de Paris, mais vous ne pouvez pas sortir Paris de Mademoiselle.
The ball is round, a game lasts 90 minutes, everything else is pure theory. Off we go!

Passionate about Kundalini Yoga and Running.
Berlin Marathon - September 28, 2008.
lgk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-23, 06:28 PM  
adawn
VF Supporter

So I finally started reading the book (Fit Nation) today. Read the intro and am about 25 pages into the actual book. Reading it is definitely exercising my brain as it skews slightly more academic in the writing style. It's not dry reading but it's not super easy, light reading either. Very interesting and comprehensive though so hopefully I can make it to the end before my last library renewal ends (so far no one else has put a hold on the book at my library so I'm on my 2nd renewal).

I love her story in the intro about not being good at team sports, gym class fitness tests (like the rope climb, etc.) and finally discovering she could take a group step class in lieu of participating in gym class. (Of course I love that her first happy fitness experience was doing STEP!!!)

Sidenote: I've already caught two pretty blatant grammatical and word errors that should have been caught before the book was printed. So I'm kind of surprised about that. In one place, it says "intimated" rather than "intimidated" (you can tell from the context that the author meant the latter), and then later on it says "an presidential" instead of "a presidential". Or something like that. I don't normally run across many errors in published books so it's just a bit surprising to have stumbled across two already.
adawn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-23, 09:52 PM  
SEV

[QUOTE=
Sidenote: I've already caught two pretty blatant grammatical and word errors that should have been caught before the book was printed. So I'm kind of surprised about that. In one place, it says "intimated" rather than "intimidated" (you can tell from the context that the author meant the latter), and then later on it says "an presidential" instead of "a presidential". Or something like that. I don't normally run across many errors in published books so it's just a bit surprising to have stumbled across two already.[/QUOTE]

Thanks for the early review! In the last few years I have notice grammatical errors in hard copy novels. Each time I've been surprised and disappointed. No one is perfect, but it seems like people just don't care anymore.
SEV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-23, 07:35 AM  
FirmDancer
VF Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by adawn View Post
So I finally started reading the book (Fit Nation) today. Read the intro and am about 25 pages into the actual book. Reading it is definitely exercising my brain as it skews slightly more academic in the writing style. It's not dry reading but it's not super easy, light reading either. Very interesting and comprehensive though so hopefully I can make it to the end before my last library renewal ends (so far no one else has put a hold on the book at my library so I'm on my 2nd renewal).
I agree with this review. My library purchased the book too. I could only keep the book for one period, due to a request waitlist. I read a few random chapters, meaning I didn't follow it chronologically, I read what caught my attention. Definitely need to focus on it. Maybe would've been better to purchase the book so I could read it at my leisure; but though I'm interested in the topic - not sufficiently so to pay the money to buy the book. I may borrow it from the library another time or two to read other chapters at some point.
“Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming "Wow! What a Ride!” -- Hunter S. Thompson

Current Rotations:
JSmith: STRENGTHEN
ManFlowYoga: morning sessions & Strength Foundations
YogaGlo & MFML: easy, morning classes
FirmDancer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-23, 05:38 PM  
fanofladyvols

This book was one of my rare DNFs. It read like a bloated magazine article and I threw in the towel.

Never give up on your body!-- Miranda Esmonde-White

Word/Guiding Principle for 2024: Embrace: embrace my faith, my family, my friends, myself, the process, the progress, the hard work, the strength program I choose, the recovery methods and rest I need, my life, the good times, and the memories of good people.
fanofladyvols is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
article, article link, fit nation, fitness books