Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > General Discussion
Register Support VF Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 02-05-23, 10:54 AM  
JackieB
VF Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by kat999 View Post
I often think it borders on unethical or even abusive that certain body types or facial features are "in" or "out" at various points in time.
It is unethical. It's all about money. If you read the comments on the Reddit page, someone mentions that these people will do whatever it takes to sell you their program or product. One person comments about a friend who is an "influencer" that used surgery, lighting, clothing, etc to photograph a progression of getting in shape.

I always think about Beachbody or other systems and their success stories. I don't believe for a minute that what we see in photos is really what happened in 6 or 8 weeks.

Certified Essentrics Instructor, Level 4---February 2017
Yoga Tune Up Roll Model Method Practitioner---December 2021

"Movement is a privilege. You don't have to exercise. You get to exercise. Visit a person whose mobility is severely limited, and you'll appreciate the distinction. Do what you can, count yourself lucky, heal yourself in the process." Essentrics Colorado
JackieB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-23, 11:58 AM  
kat999

Oh, for sure Jackie. And I've seen some videos and posts where people demystify the "before" and "after" photos and how they are INCREDIBLY deceptive. That basically you can shoot a "before" and "after" photo on the same day and based on your posture, lighting, clothing, inhalation, makeup, and pose, it can look like you gained or lost 20 lbs. It's ridiculous.
Old 02-05-23, 12:26 PM  
Pat58
VF Supporter

Jackie, I read that for many before and afters, especially in supplement ads, the models have the after photo taken in their usual buff self, spray tanned and all that. Then they go off plan, eat more and don't exercise until they're all fluffy again, and appear for the before photo with gut pushed out, tanless, etc.
Pat58 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-23, 02:20 PM  
fanofladyvols

It's not an insidious attack on the young alone...ever notice how MANY ads and stars bombard us CONSTANTLY with how we need to stay young looking.

Horrors you look your age??

Shame on that crepey skin, wrinkles, cellulite, loose skin and grey hair!!

Guess what?! I'm ALIVE ...and punching above my weight class so..

...BACK OFF you stars who LIE with your potions and lotions claiming they are why you look the way you do...

(Leaving my soapbox in the middle of the room for step ups later )

Never give up on your body!-- Miranda Esmonde-White

Word/Guiding Principle for 2024: Embrace: embrace my faith, my family, my friends, myself, the process, the progress, the hard work, the strength program I choose, the recovery methods and rest I need, my life, the good times, and the memories of good people.
fanofladyvols is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-23, 08:19 PM  
hypnomoon

Caveat Emptor has never been so note worthy than in the last several years.
hypnomoon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-23, 01:40 PM  
Schnauzeritis

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sue B View Post
Those influencers are going to be around as long as there are people who believe you can look like someone just by copying their diet and workouts.

I have a little bit of hope for younger people. My daughter said this song is becoming popular: Victoria's Secret

(ETA: of course Youtube tacked a diet ad onto the video.
I ADORE this song. I sing it at the top of my lungs.
Schnauzeritis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-23, 05:44 PM  
hch
VF Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by kat999 View Post
I often think it borders on unethical or even abusive that certain body types or facial features are "in" or "out" at various points in time. Not stylistic things like hair or clothes or makeup, but the size of your rear or bust or muscles or waistline.
I agree: my biggest "disagreement" is that I'd go beyond just "borders."

That sort of thinking is why I, and an increasing number of others, find "before and after" comparisons inherently problematic. Even when there's no intent to deceive, the entire premise behind those pictures will be deceptive.
"It doesn't happen all at once," said the Skin Horse. "You become. It takes a long time. That's why it doesn't happen often to people who break easily, or have sharp edges, or who have to be carefully kept. Generally, by the time you are Real, most of your hair has been loved off, and your eyes drop out and you get loose in the joints and very shabby. But these things don't matter at all, because once you are Real you can't be ugly, except to people who don't understand."

The Velveteen Rabbit
hch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-23, 10:51 AM  
DBW

https://www.instagram.com/reel/CgziT...d=YmMyMTA2M2Y=

So easy to be fake apparently
DBW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-23, 12:14 PM  
fanofladyvols

There was some warping as she moved but yeah that was crazy to see on a video. Thanks for posting! I added to my story in the hopes that more see.

I'm convinced they've been doing it in movies for awhile now.

Never give up on your body!-- Miranda Esmonde-White

Word/Guiding Principle for 2024: Embrace: embrace my faith, my family, my friends, myself, the process, the progress, the hard work, the strength program I choose, the recovery methods and rest I need, my life, the good times, and the memories of good people.
fanofladyvols is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-23, 08:25 PM  
prettyinpink

We’re in a terrible place as a society when it comes to body image. On the one hand, we have a terrible obesity and health crisis in younger people worse than ever before. We have movements to promote overweight as desirable and healthy, which isn’t great. On the other, we still have unrealistic body proportions, crazy fad diets, and fake images being presented. It’s so difficult to navigate. I am glad I am past the age to be affected much by these things, but I feel for the younger generations.
prettyinpink is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
aesthetics, body image, fake padding, influencers, instagram, social media