Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > General Discussion
Register Support VF Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 01-21-23, 06:36 PM  
alisoncooks

Revisited The Bar Method today…

All this Callanetics talk caught my interest…which led me back around to my old favorite, The Bar Method. I haven’t done a barre video in ages, but (back in the day) TBM was my ride or die. I had such great results with it after my second child was born.

Anyway, I pulled out Change Your Body this morning and commenced and…it has not aged well.

The amount of off-putting skinny-talk is unreal! “This will make your butt look great in jeans!” “You’ll lose two jeans sizes” and etc. It just feels gross to me now. I don’t know why/how it didn’t bother me before, but I almost didn’t make it through the video.

It is a shame but there it is. It’s become dated (for me), with its over-the-top focus on appearance. I’m as vain as the next person, but I’ve come to appreciate my function over form. This dvd has always remained on my desert island list, even when I’ve not used it in a long time, but now I believe it will be replaced in my top faves list.
alisoncooks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-23, 07:20 PM  
cowfishpro

Thank you for sharing about this Alison.

I also loved TBM and even wondered if that might be a more interesting alternative to Callanetics. Although, there is some nice variety on the Callanetics TV.

Your latest assessment has been helpful in my decision making process.

Last edited by cowfishpro; 01-21-23 at 07:21 PM. Reason: correction
cowfishpro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-23, 08:05 PM  
prettyinpink

I don’t remember that one, maybe because I didn’t do it as much, but some of the P57 DVDs are like that. I tuned it out at the time, but a few comments stuck in my head (cellulite, bye bye ).

Many videos talked about burning the fat off, and some of the covers and titles weren’t the best, either.
prettyinpink is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-23, 08:21 PM  
fatkat555

I’m pretty good at tuning out the stupid “selling point” conversation, so I still enjoy these workouts. Honestly, I don’t remember that talk too often in my beloved Firm classics and I appreciate that KCM doesn’t throw that mess in her workouts. From the Callanetics dvds that I’ve done I haven’t noticed that talk in there, but yes Bar Method loved to include it. I think a marketing rep (who didn’t exercise to dvds) told them it’d be awesome.

You have to make a mess, sometimes, to clean it up.

DISCLOSURE: I have a professional relationship with a seller or producer of fitness videos or products. For details, please see my profile.
fatkat555 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-23, 02:09 PM  
bfit

I used to love The Bar Method in live classes before the pandemic, but I never tried the DVDs. It was the only lower body work I ever did where I saw definite results. Then the studio closed for a while because of the pandemic, and by the time they had reopened I had broken my foot, and I can't do barre any more at all. At any rate, even if the DVDs have some shortcomings, I really recommend the method itself. I never really knew what "results" were until I did barre.
bfit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-23, 02:48 PM  
prettyinpink

The streaming was very good when I did it for a while a few years ago, and more challenging than the DVDs. If that is anything close to what the live classes are like, I can understand why someone would love them. Someone who used to post here said how good they were with in-person form correction and precision in class.
prettyinpink is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
bar method, body image, the bar method